Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46710

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2020, 20:01   #61
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Hmmm, I don’t think it’d make any difference- it’s just key to make sure it’s done periodically.

Cheers
The BofH does say to tension the belt with the timing marks lined up, but that is for the first adjustment after fitting a new one, when everything is apart. I’m with you though, I can’t see that it would make any difference to the belt. A 4 cylinder motor will tend to stop at either 90 or 270 degrees - and by definition the pressure on the crank will be least at that point, so the cam belt won’t have any net torque acting on it.

That was a long winded way of saying it won’t make and difference if the motor is at TDC or not.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 20:05   #62
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Are the steering ball joints free & associated parts?

I have done a power steering fluid change some time back on a 240 (brief details already submitted) Turkey baster rather than trying to drain- I had been very surprised at the difference it made after replacing tied fluid etc.
It was never really bad but the change improved it further.
Hope it helps.
Bob.
I agree Bob. I have done two partial ATF changes on the RB’s steering and it is a little better (but it was pretty good to start with).

It is probably worth Chris doing it as it will only cost a couple of quid, but it sounds like something else is probably wrong on one side only.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 26th, 2020 at 20:10.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 20:14   #63
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Thanks Bugjam, I had no idea so we'll be doing that.

Today I had the timing belt done on my VW at the independent Volvo garage I've used the last 14 years - worked out rather more expensive than the one we did yesterday. I proudly told the owner how we'd managed the task in under 4 hours, and he smiled. He's a quiet, modest man, which made his response all the more shocking to me - apparently, he used to be able to do them on a 240 in about 10 minutes, assuming all the tools were laid out ready at the start. He even listed off the top of the head all the socket sizes needed for each part. From many I'd think it just bravado, but I believe him - he started working when 240s were common in their workshop, and reckoned he'd done several hundred over the years. 10 minutes/ 4 hours!
Chris, I just had a rather cynical and uncharitable thought that your garage mate has never charged anyone for just 10 minutes labour when he changed the cam belt on their Volvo 240.

:-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 26th, 2020 at 20:30.
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 21:28   #64
Chris152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Chris, I just had a rather cynical and uncharitable thought that your garage mate has never charged anyone for just 10 minutes labour when he changed the cam belt on their Volvo 240.

:-)

Alan
Yep, I saw the opportunity and pointed out that in future I'd ask how long he thought it'd take him to do any job on the car and that's what I'd pay him. :-)

We'll be looking into that ball joint tomorrow. No idea what it is even at the moment, but sounds like a real possibility...
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 07:18   #65
Chris152

Is this the part that we're looking to check?

Eta - If so, I've just had a look at them, the one that the Mot called attention to is the one with the more collapsed rubber.

If I get the front of the car on stands and try to turn the wheels left and right without the engine running, might that tell me anything helpful about the effort needed to turn right?

That said, if the offside joint is indeed causing resistance when turning right, wouldn't it do the same when turning left - which isn't happening?

UPDATE! Just took it for a quick drive around and about, doing 3-point turns wherever I could and it definitely feels better - not immediately (on our driveway) but once I'd gone 400 yards I did some turns and it was definitely lighter turning right. Maybe it's the universal joints as you suggested, Bugjam. I'll keep giving it a spray a day, maybe it'll loosen still more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1489402214607_240bj.jpg (23.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200827_081019.jpg (224.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200827_080949.jpg (197.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Chris152; Aug 27th, 2020 at 09:36.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 10:06   #66
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Is my memory right Bugjam. Has it been said recently and if so it sounds likely to be right, that the re-tensioning should be done with the engine at TDC, probably number one at TDC? That is the engine position for fitting and tensioning the belt so it makes a tad of sense for re-tensioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Hmmm, I don’t think it’d make any difference- it’s just key to make sure it’s done periodically.

Cheers

Thanks Bugjam.

My grasp is it is fundamentally key to do it at about 600 miles. And periodically is not a bad idea init.

I did not imagine the recent discussion but I cannot find it by searching. So far as I recall it was of the esoteric or pedantic nature (did I say that) exemplified by The Royal Czar's comments above but with the opposite conclusion. On this occasion, I agree with Othen. (washing my mouth out ... )

Cheers Bugjam.

Comrade Stephen Edwin

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 15:17   #67
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Thanks Bugjam, I had no idea so we'll be doing that.

Today I had the timing belt done on my VW at the independent Volvo garage I've used the last 14 years - worked out rather more expensive than the one we did yesterday. I proudly told the owner how we'd managed the task in under 4 hours, and he smiled. He's a quiet, modest man, which made his response all the more shocking to me - apparently, he used to be able to do them on a 240 in about 10 minutes, assuming all the tools were laid out ready at the start. He even listed off the top of the head all the socket sizes needed for each part. From many I'd think it just bravado, but I believe him - he started working when 240s were common in their workshop, and reckoned he'd done several hundred over the years. 10 minutes/ 4 hours!

Something I noticed about the power steering - it works nice and light to the left even when hardly moving, but turning right is when it's heavy - any ideas what might cause that?
Someone reckoned it could be done in twenty minutes; on the early (B21/B23) engines it is really simple but the later (B200/B230) units it's more involved. 10 minutes is really impressive though - I wonder what his labour charge was? And how long it took him the first time?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 15:33   #68
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Someone reckoned it could be done in twenty minutes; on the early (B21/B23) engines it is really simple but the later (B200/B230) units it's more involved. 10 minutes is really impressive though - I wonder what his labour charge was? And how long it took him the first time?
There is an old thread where Mike Brace did a very quick cambelt change, at the roadside.

Roadside emergency techniques if I remember correctly.

Old Aug 27th, 2020, 15:44   #69
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Aha yes.

17.41 Cam belt fails > 18.20 continue journey

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...hlight=cambelt

and I guess that included time to cook and serve a full Anglesey tea ...

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 27th, 2020 at 15:46.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 07:30   #70
Chris152

Reading around the site, I found this by honestjoe who had replaced the steering rack on his 240:
'I think its just air in the system, it improves over time..turning left is good turning right hard..' here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ng+rack&page=2
Sounds the same as ours, but unfortunately the thread doesn't go so far as to say if replacing/ bleeding the power steering fluid sorted that problem.
Reading elsewhere on the net, the steering rack (non-functioning valves?) seems to get identified often as the source of heavy steering in one direction only. So maybe that's where we'll end up.
In the meantime, the last MoT identified the suspension component ball joint dust cover O/S which I photographed above as needing sorting asap;
and in need of monitoring were steering rack inner joints (some play); and track rod end ball joint O/S, slight play.
We'll do all these, starting with the suspension component ball joint.
We'll also try the turkey baster method of refreshing power steering fluid, just in case.

Two questions:
1. Can we use any brand of power steering fluid? Are they all the same/ mix ok?
2. If it comes to the worst case and it's the steering rack, do we need to replace the whole thing or just the 'steering gear'?

Thanks for any advice.