Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1990 240GL Estate

Views : 3627

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2009, 12:40   #1
Neil.Bolton

Thumbs up 1990 240GL Estate

Hi there everyone, long time lurker, first time poster

I've my granddads Volvo 240GL Estate in which I recently inherited before he died. He'd owned it since new before passing it to me.

I've driven to Alpe D'Huez in France in July in it, fully loaded and it didn't bat an eyelid at the 2000 miles she flew through, which on the way back she did 700 of those miles at an average of 90mph non stop except for fuel!!!

It's utterly reliable, at 170k miles still running as happily as it ever did, always serviced properly and still starts first time on the first crank.

All the usual things are working, even the rear wiper!!!

I'm thinking I should be able see about £700-800 for it?

Anyone interested?

Currently sporting Carrera stripes

Think you can email through my profile, but if not, you can try me on neil.bolton@gmail.com
Neil.Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 12:45   #2
Neil.Bolton

Oops, buggered the links up!

Currently sporting Carrera stripes having returned from France

Old Dec 21st, 2009, 12:52   #3
Neil.Bolton

ps, it's a 2.0l manual with fuel injection as opposed to Carb.

Still pulls bloody hard; it would beat the VW TDi van I convoyed back from France in off the tolls.

Will be very sad to see her go; I spent many many happy years with my grandfather in that car
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 15:53   #4
zsero

Hi, I am really thinking about buying an estate in the near future, once I had a diesel D24, but that was a bloody mis-engineered engine and I had nothing but problems with that, and I finally ended up selling it. My question is that for a very long trip across Europe, for example what you did, how much fuel does these 2.0 injected engines use? Is it possible to do something over 30 mpg?
zsero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 11:03   #5
Neil.Bolton

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsero View Post
Hi, I am really thinking about buying an estate in the near future, once I had a diesel D24, but that was a bloody mis-engineered engine and I had nothing but problems with that, and I finally ended up selling it. My question is that for a very long trip across Europe, for example what you did, how much fuel does these 2.0 injected engines use? Is it possible to do something over 30 mpg?
I'm not sure, it'll really depend on your driving style.

I'd say it was doing 25 to the gallon at about 80mph - but perhaps 60-70 would see closer 30mpg.

It's amazing that something so old can still be so utterly reliable...

Are you interested?
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:13   #6
Neil.Bolton

No-one interested at all?

It's currently being used by my director in the snow as he's snowed in! She'd been left for a few weeks quietly on her own, and started first turn in the minus temperatures - he was ferrying the kids to school in it, trumping all the new Volvo his neighbour had that couldn't get out of the log drive he has...

Sure feels bad to sell her what with so many memories, but I'd rather an enthusiast keep her and enjoy her more than I can.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:47   #7
Neil.Bolton

ps I'll be MOTing her at the end of this month, and whacking 6 months tax on her too.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 13:33   #8
57RKL

Thumbs down

I think the Carrera graffiti shows a lack of respect for the car. It wont help you sell it.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 13:39   #9
Neil.Bolton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57RKL View Post
I think the Carrera graffiti shows a lack of respect for the car. It wont help you sell it.
Righto.

So driving the thing to France and back, looking after it, making sure it's fed and watered correctly, all that jazz, means nothing because I carefully applied some removable stickers in a little nod towards what's known as 'a sense of humour'. What it actually means is I. Just. Don't. Care. about the car that has been in my family and never ever been neglected for over 20 years...

Blimey. We're cheerful today.

For those with a sense of humour, I'm happy to remove said stickers, or if said persons with sense of humour would prefer, I'll leave the carefully applied stickers on.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 13:48   #10
57RKL

If someone disrespected my Grandad's pride and joy, I would be more than a little grumpy.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote