Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Incorrect alternator 1.6 Drive?

Views : 794

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2022, 15:28   #1
evokeEL84

Default Incorrect alternator 1.6 Drive?

Hi!

I’ve recently bought a V50 1.6 Drive and I can see faults logged against the charging system stored in the car. The previous owner had a new battery and alternator fitted. I can tell the battery is incorrect as it’s a non stop/start variety. Can anyone confirm if the alternator I have is correct before I return to the garage?

All I can see on the label is “A7902 23821N-WB 21C3”. I haven’t been able to find anything for these numbers but does anyone know if this alternator is correct?
evokeEL84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 20:05   #2
iainmd

This is what's been fitted:
https://www.arnoldclarkautoparts.com...it-23821n-wbuk
https://www.trodo.com/alternator-wai-23821n

Without looking up your VIN on VIDA I couldn't say what spec of alternator should be fitted to your car.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2022, 22:03   #3
wynnj
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evokeEL84 View Post
Hi!

I’ve recently bought a V50 1.6 Drive and I can see faults logged against the charging system stored in the car. The previous owner had a new battery and alternator fitted. I can tell the battery is incorrect as it’s a non stop/start variety. Can anyone confirm if the alternator I have is correct before I return to the garage?

All I can see on the label is “A7902 23821N-WB 21C3”. I haven’t been able to find anything for these numbers but does anyone know if this alternator is correct?
Have you tried to clear the faults and seen if they recur; they could be the reason the battery and the alternator were changed in the first place.

The battery specified for a 2009 C30 1.6D drive is 150 Amp which yours appears to be, but there are part number changes at a specific chassis no. There is also a reference to Software that needs to be loaded when "changing from 120Amp alternator to 150Amp". May be a red herring but if the DTCs come back you may need to check that out.

I don't think there would be any negative consequences of using a Stop/Start battery in place of a standard; in fact I would expect better long term performance especially if you do a lot of short journeys where the battery doesn't have long enough to fully recharge. They cost more!
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 15:27   #4
evokeEL84

Thanks guys.

I cleared the faults and P1632 keeps reappearing. I’ve contacted the garage and they’ve admitted to the battery being incorrect but understand the alternator to be correct. I’m collecting a new battery on the weekend so will see if the fault reappears. If it does, I’ll check the charge voltage and do some research to see if the software is required to be changed.

Thanks
evokeEL84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2022, 12:36   #5
iainmd

Your currently fitted alternator is 150A. If the previous alternator was 120A then your car needs a software update (Volvo part number 30782611) to rectify the ECU expecting a lower input. 2009 and newer 1.6D cars should have all had 150A alternators as standard but earlier models may have had 120A fitted.

The only way you'll know what the car is programmed for is with Volvo's VIDA diagnostic system. On the "Diagnostic -> Details" tab it will show the configured alternator output under "Vehicle Configuration".

As for the battery, according to VIDA, it depends on options fitted to your car:

760CCA - Start/Stop
700CCA - No Start/Stop, High Performance or Premium Sound, RTI, telematic system
600CCA - No Start/Stop, High Performance or Premium Sound, Volvo on Call, Keyless Locking System
520/590CCA - Standard

Ultimately, if the CCA is higher than you need it'll do no harm. Lower is a problem.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE

Last edited by iainmd; Feb 17th, 2022 at 12:38.
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote