Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A 240 dilemma: time to do some sums

Views : 2157

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2022, 16:52   #21
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
My apology WS, I wasn't trying to tell you what to do. I'd just noticed how cheap V70 estates sell for and remembered how highly John thought of his - put 2 and 2 together and came up with something unsuitable for you.

They do seem to be very cheap indeed compared to 240s (and even compared with 740s). This 15 year old estate with 135,000 miles and 8 month's MoT is only at £670 (with a day of the auction to go):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275575567065

... if it sells for anything under a grand it will be cheap - a similar mileage/condition 240 might be £2,500.

There was a flurry of late interest and that nice V70 with the 250HP motor sold for £1220. I know next to nothing about V70s (I'm not sure I've even been in one), but I that sounds like a bargain to me. £1220 would buy a shed of a 240, and it certainly wouldn't have 250HP
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 19:05   #22
Dippydog
Premier Member

When I bought my V70-a 140bhp model first registered January 2000-about 6 or 7 years ago I was for once lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.it had about 130,000 miles on the clock came with 10 months M.o.T. and cost me £50.Since buying it I've spent[not counting oil/filters/standard service items]under £500 in replacement parts.I sometimes think a T5 would be nice but my old girl gets me about well enough although the paintwork is and always has been poor[understatement]in places-mainly drivers side and bonnet-but as it lives at the side of the road 24/7 I'm not too bothered about that.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 21:03   #23
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I thought mine was cheap, 'Dd', but you definitely take the prize for a bargain buy.

I prefer to think of any scuffs or scrapes as 'patina'. Old Volvos, like old Land Rovers, often wear their battle scars with pride. While I agree with you that 140 BHP is 'adequate', as RR might have put it, and, as you say, 250 would be tasty, what would it do for the insurance?

Regards, John.
Old Dec 19th, 2022, 08:25   #24
Dippydog
Premier Member

Yes JW I was indeed fortunate.The lad I bought it from had accepted the car as part payment for a job he'd done then immediately began getting grief from his wife about the number of vehicles he'd got stood about so he needed rid of it and I happened to be on the spot at the right time even though I wasn't looking to buy a car at the time at £50 I'd have been insane to turn it down even if it had gone bang 10 minutes after I'd bought it.I often think of painting it[even if only with rattle cans]but it stands at side of the road 24/7 and I can park it anywhere without worrying about it getting scratched/picking up a supermarket "ding".Far more important that I have confidence it will get me where I want to go and get me home again.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 12:04   #25
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

THE UPDATE

After another month's faffin' about, the car's been sold. It's gone to a very nice chap who is more capable than I of doing something useful with it.

We're now Volvo-less - how long for remains to be seen.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post: