Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Satnav - 'clear route'

Views : 1654

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2016, 23:12   #1
george57l
George

Default XC70 Satnav - 'clear route'

Just acquired an XC70 MY2012, with satnav - and plenty of other goodies, yet to be properly explored.
(Replaces a MY2006 V70 AWD - so just starting a whole new journey! Pun intended.) ;-)

Having entered a destination in the stanav, it seems stuck there until a new destination is entered for another journey. There seems to be no option to 'clear route'. I've looked under every menu option and read the manual twice. Can this really be the case? Is there no way to remove a route / destination and just go driving with the map simply showing location / traffic data / POIs? (Even my nearly decade old TomTom has this option!).

Hopefully someone will be along to tell me how dumb I am being and how obvious it is to achieve this. Can't believe ANY satnav in this day and age would force an expired / used / completed route to be kept programmed and visible on the screen.

Cheers,
George

PS Satnav appears not to have been updated since purchase in 2012. Once I've checked it out with the dealer - not clear if updates were shipped and not installed - I may be back to search threads for advice re updating. At very least I will want to add own POIs - if poss- such as PocketGPSWorld speed cams. Sure I saw some threads about that. Looks like I'll be spending some time here in near future!

Last edited by george57l; Jul 8th, 2016 at 23:13. Reason: Typos corrected
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 04:17   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

Not sure if it is exactly the same but on my XC60 on the top left hand side of the control panel there is a button marked NAV. Press this and a menu appears. Bottom option is cancel guidance.

As regards updates I have seen a post on here with details of a chargeable software update that enables you to get free updates until 2025 using a USB stick.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 17:14   #3
george57l
George

Thanks, Whyman. You are correct. Silly me, expecting to press menu on steering wheel and find something descriptive like "clear route"! ;-)
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 18:35   #4
StewartBr

You guys are lucky having a NAV button on your control panels. I have just bought a 2009 XC60 & was about to post the same query. I only have fiddly switch behind the steering wheel & a remote control from a 1980's TV set!

Anyone got any ideas on how i can 'cancel guidance'?

The other thing I need help with is entering a destination with a Post Code. I get to <All cities> & press Enter. That opens a POSTCODE screen but the Postcode is grey not blue. The 'keypad' will not allow me to enter numbers so a postcode entry fails after 2 letters!

Cheers!
StewartBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 19:03   #5
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I've got an '08 model XC70 and I've also noticed that when the 'postcode' option is enabled, it seems to only allow two letters to be entered and they bring up cities starting with those two letters. I've not yet got as far as reading the manual yet, but I'd have hoped it was a bit more intuitive.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 20:12   #6
Finbo

When you reach the Postcode option page you need to click upwards onto the word Postcode, then click enter, then you should be able to enter the Postcode itself. Make sure you enter/add a space after the first half of the Postcode
(SN3 1WE) than try to type it in as a single entry (SN31WE).
Finbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finbo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 20:28   #7
Billggski

I have to go back to text to put a space in, there isn't one in the numeric list, which is a pain.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 20:35   #8
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartBr View Post
Anyone got any ideas on how i can 'cancel guidance'?
From main screen press "exit" to bring up the menu. Press down twice to get to current route, press "enter". Scroll sideways across the buttons on the bottom of the screen to "clear itinerary".

Quote:

The other thing I need help with is entering a destination with a Post Code. I get to <All cities> & press Enter. That opens a POSTCODE screen but the Postcode is grey not blue. The 'keypad' will not allow me to enter numbers so a postcode entry fails after 2 letters!

Cheers!
It is utterly unintuitive, but when it says "postcode" at the top of the screen, that's actually a button that takes you to the screen to enter a postcode (at which point the button at the top will say "city").
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 22:35   #9
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Thanks for the tips on postcodes. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Just loaded the 2015 map update as it was still on 2007 version so hopefully it will be a little less rubbish now .
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 10:47   #10
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

RTI isn't bad when you get used to it, it is a faff to program to start with though I leave mine on the advanced mode which I think is far better than easy mode. That won't even give you a timed ETA just time remaining which is annoying.

Sensus is from my limited experience better

Tags
satnav, xc70