Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HIDs for S40

Views : 2699

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2008, 16:17   #11
GraemeS
Sk8Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Wade View Post
The whole kit is "E" marked and there is nothing in the MOT regs that says that aftermarket kits need to self level.
Government take on aftermarket HID kits here.
GraemeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 22:47   #12
Jonnieb_2009

I fitted one too last weekend, took 30mins, costr £80 off EB#Y including cancellor kit.
Exactly as S Wade has done and yes couldnt find anywhere to fit ballasts so they are wedged in and have double sided tape on the back. They look awesome. also fitted LED bulbs into the front side lights instead of halogen and rear led bulbs in license plate (like new BMW and Lexus) no problems and looks the business.
Jonnieb_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 23:05   #13
Guru
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnieb_2009 View Post
also fitted LED bulbs into the front side lights instead of halogen and rear led bulbs in license plate (like new BMW and Lexus) no problems and looks the business.
Have ordered these also can't wait till they arrive + interior LEDs too! legs, roof, back seat...
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 23:11   #14
mikeleicester

Thumbs down

I fitted a kit from hids4us on my 2006 C70and they worked fine until starting the engine and then they just strobbed. Contacted supplier and was asked to check connection and then could I dissable the drl,s. Eventually they told me that they had contacted their supplier and they were not compatible with volvo electronics and so had to return them for refund. If anybody knows of a kit that definately works on the C70 then please let me know.
mikeleicester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 20:07   #15
S Wade
Volvo for life?

I fitted my kit in October 08 and I've not had any problems at all. Did you buy the Ultimate Pro Kit?
Put the car in for MOT last week and it passed no problems with the HID kit or xenon sidelights.
S Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 13:25   #16
Flanaia1

Beware about posting your HID conversions here particularly if there are any links or photos of your car on the forum. On other forums members have actually been prosecuted for fitting and using aftermarket HID and in one of the cases they were told that the information came from owners posts on a forum so he shopped himself

Bearing in mind this is a Volvo Forum and most forces use Volvo, you wouldn't have to be a genius to work out what was going to happen if you posted anything illegal.

And yes Aftermarket HID kits are definitely 100% illegal in the UK
Old May 12th, 2009, 18:56   #17
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Some S40's have reflector headlamps, I'm assuming these are actually better than projector headlamps if you dont have HID bulbs.

My previous car was a 56' Grande Punto, and the light output was MUCH better than my 05' s40 with projector headlamps.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:27   #18
Welton
Premier Member

I think the biggest problem is all the kids going about in their old corsa's, focus's etc with 6000/8000K HID's!! they look far too blue and have lots of glare and a dodgy beam pattern (not that they care much about this) these people should get lifted for this imo.

The S40's projector lens would take a HID bulb much better although they are meant to have self-leveling and water jets to be correct.

If you don't want to draw attention to yourself then you should use something no 'brighter' than 5000K (most OE set ups use 4500 ish).

I'm no fan of these kits and I read a study once that if they're fitted in an old type reflector lens then the foreground lighting can be so bright it causes the drivers pupils to close down reducing night vision

If they're fitted in a projector lens then it's not too bad imo as you're at least 80% closer to the intended OE set up.

Having said all this I wouldn't be at all surprised if the UK's Police Forces all decided on a 'clamp down' on these kits.

My headlamps are standard but with Phillips Extreme White bulbs.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:37   #19
Guru
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
My headlamps are standard but with Phillips Extreme White bulbs.
+1

and they're perfect!
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:15   #20
Flanaia1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
+1

and they're perfect!
Are you still using DRL with the Phillips bulbs, If so any comments on how they are lasting as they have a poor reputation for being used when DRL is in operation some users reckon they last only 3 months in other models.

Also is the light output whiter than the standard bulbs through the projector lenses?

I really want to change mine but am unsure which wat to go, already swapped the side lights and numberplate lights for high intensity LED. I now want white light at the front

Any comments would be useful

thanks