Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HIDs for S40

Views : 2701

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 20:32   #1
S Wade
Volvo for life?

Smile HIDs for S40

I've just ordered a HID upgrade kit from HIDS4U.co.uk.
They promise that it'll be easy to install and won't bring up lamp failure messages etc.

I'll let you all know how it goes and how easy it really was.

The kit I ordered was the Ultimate H7 HID upgrade kit for £199.99

Anybody else on here installed that kit on their S40/V50?

Steve.
S Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 09:08   #2
alfiembra

I haven't upgraded the lights on mine yet but will be really interested to hear how you get on. Only had my 05 S40 three months and the standard lights are a real dissappointment got 6 months of winter driving to look forward to in NE Scotland so will need something soon.

Alan
alfiembra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 12:20   #3
7050man
Master Member

When you fit these aftermarket kits, what kind of leveling/beam control do you get?
My understanding of xenon type lights is that they are linked to sensors that ensure the beam doesn't blind oncoming drivers. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here.

Thanks
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 19:15   #4
MavUK

7050 - IIRC the self leveling (that the factory Xenon lights have) ar a legal requirement for HIDs.

Could be wrong of course

(But my lights are self leveling - there is no manual level dial in the cockpit)
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 22:45   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Can I jump in here also?

Posting on behalf of my friend. He has fitted an aftermarket xenon kit to his '05 2.0L D SE S40 just yesterday. With the ignition switch on position II they start and work fine but when the engine is running they only work momentarily and then stop completely. When turning the light switch from 0 to parking to headlight position there is a strobe effect. I assume this is a software issue, DRL's need to be turned off, or can it be as simple as changing a relay?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 19:12   #6
MavUK

I thought you needed a relay to get the high voltages that the lights need... So there should be something somewhere to step this up. (Just thinking on my laptop here )
MavUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 20:29   #7
Baffler
Premier Member

I hear today that you can put an in-line resistor just behind the bulb connector block and that will fool the computer into thinking there are normal bulbs in place. Can anyone confirm this and what ohms/amps are needed in the resistor?

Sorry but I'm no expert on electronics...as a matter of fact...I haven't a clue what I'm talking about

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 23:15   #8
adamsky01
back for now

i have v40 2 litre with twin lights i have two sets of hid fitted no problems fitting them or with them runing verry nice set good beam pattern
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 21:07   #9
S Wade
Volvo for life?

I finally got some time to fit the HIDs today.
It was very easy and all worked as advertised - no lamp failure messages and works fine with my DRLs with no flickering at all.
The hardest part was finding somewhere to put the two ballast and two ignitor units. The nearside wasn't too bad as there is a fair bit of room on that side. The offside was a bit of a squeeze.
I did have to drill a 25mm hole in the the lamp access cover for the HID wiring to pass through, but the wiring is sealed in a grommet to plug the hole.
The whole job only took an hour and seeing as it was dark when I'd finished, I took it out for a test drive.
The light from these is fantastic.
The whole kit is "E" marked and there is nothing in the MOT regs that says that aftermarket kits need to self level.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 21:11   #10
S Wade
Volvo for life?

I also fitted a pair of xenon sidelight lamps too.
The originals looked very yellow with the HIDs, the xenons compliment the HIDs nicely.