Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New xc60 owner and transmission flush

Views : 539

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2022, 09:05   #1
Davlers

Default New xc60 owner and transmission flush

Hello to everyone, I have just got myself an xc60 my2011.
I've never owned a Volvo before and I'm very happy with the car over all..yes I've had the oil thing happen to me and it completely confused me to the point that I have a new oil level sensor in the garage that I bought without understanding the problem and yeah I have had to reseal the window down each side. But like I say it's a great car for me and no car of that age is going to be perfect.
So now I want to replace the atf and have been looking in how best to do it, I don't mind dumping and refill method or the gibbon way but what I want to ask is and I'm sorry if it's been done to death but my phone will not let me use the search tab for some strange reason, is why can't I take out the torx drain plug get the car running and introduce fresh liquid from the fill plug steadily until I have fresh atf coming out? Wouldn't the atf dilute the old oil then escape out the drain hole or would it just find its way out without dilution? Thanks in advance
Davlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 10:53   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Good to see new members who want to properly look after their cars....

If you've not done it before, the easiest method by far is to do three sump dumps and refills.

Put the car on ramps if you have any at home, remove the engine undertray and the engine cover and air filter housing from above. Remove the gearbox fill plug at the top (can be quite tight) and then remove the gearbox drain inner (level) plug and then the whole plug, allowing the fluid to drain into a container. You should get 3 litres of oil out, up to 3.5 liters if the car is tilted due to being on a ramp. Measure the amount of fluid you drained using an old milk bottle(s) and replace with exactly the same amount of fresh fluid (they type you need is documented in your owners manual - do not put anything different in). Drive the car 50-100 miles and then repeat...

Doing the above 3 times will get you to circa 90% fresh new fluid and you should feel the difference in shifting. The car continually adapts to the fluid so it may take a while for it to reach its best.

You do not want to remove the drain plug whilst the engine is running, any fluid you pour in from above will likely drop straight out and you risk running the box dry and making a big mess.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Dec 28th, 2022 at 10:56.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 12:04   #3
Davlers

Hi thanks for the reply, I will do the method that you have suggested thank you, I was referring to the centre drain plug that sets the level so in theory it cannot run dry. But like I say I will do it as above. I have dug a pit in the garage a few years ago which really helps with tinkering but the thing is wide and so am I so it's a squeeze getting in and out haha.This is the first automatic I have owned and I am very impressed with the power and comfort and for a 2.4 deisel it's quiet in the cabin.thanks again for your time.
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 13:12   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davlers View Post
Hi thanks for the reply, I will do the method that you have suggested thank you, I was referring to the centre drain plug that sets the level so in theory it cannot run dry. But like I say I will do it as above. I have dug a pit in the garage a few years ago which really helps with tinkering but the thing is wide and so am I so it's a squeeze getting in and out haha.This is the first automatic I have owned and I am very impressed with the power and comfort and for a 2.4 deisel it's quiet in the cabin.thanks again for your time.
Ah right I see - yes you can undo the level plug and this is how you are supposed to set the level (engine running, warm box), but I think you would get better results just doing the dumps.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 14:22   #5
Davlers

Yes great I will do what you suggest,,I have 16 litres of jws3309 coming sometime tomorrow and a trip of around 80 miles planned Friday so that's 1 before and 1 after then another later on. My code reader tells me the atf temp so I should be all set.
The only thing about the car I really dislike is the crazy oil level sensor, I went as far as to fit the police issue physical dipstick and this reads just under half when the sensor reads full yet if I were to fill to where I've always had my cars it would throw the service message up...madness