Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 power loss

Views : 3120

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2016, 17:17   #1
paulicrew

Default V50 power loss

Hi Everyone.

I'm sure you've been asked about this one before. June 2015 I bought a V50, 55 plate 50 odd thousand miles. Straight away it started loosing power. Took it back to the sales garage and he took it to the garage that services his vehicles. They plugged it up and said it needed the blue additive re filling. That was done, but 6 months later it still looses power on a daily basis. Odd thing is it often does it on the same stretch of road in the same place. I've tried replacing the dpf sensor myself but when I do there's no power past 2800 revs. When I put the original one back on it seems ok but looses power again on the same stretch.

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks

Paul
paulicrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 17:38   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

Hey, as no one has replied I will try my best.

is this a diesel? have you looked down the MAF area? sounds like a MAF issue when it get worse you will only find yourself going slower and slower and going uphills will become very painful.

This would be my first point of check on any diesel. you can either disconnect it to see if there is a difference, but I would either giving it a clean or just getting a new one to see if that makes the difference.
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 21:22   #3
alfadave11

disconnecting a maf on a diesel will lose you power and throw a 2 codes usually p0100 and I think p0101 one is linked to inlet air temp and tother air flow(hotwire)..disconnect it on a petrol it will gain power if faulty as ecu runs off default map ...with diesels the MAF is the main parameter the base map works off compared to a petrol in same situation <<< so be wary of doing that as you could be masking a actual issue fault code relating to your problem ,you can end up chasing your tail and costing you a fortune in let alone parts and then labour ...yours or a garages....
im not sure with the Volvo set up regarding replacing components ,im sure someone will come along with correct me on this,but im sure the ecu needs to relearn values after ecu has been reset so to speak ...so it can relearn and adjust parameters to fine tune running...what im trying to explain is ...a faulty sensor is learnt by the ecu over time from when it worked ,and slowly we start getting issues,,but theres no code
so get it on diagnostics to see what ecu tells you
now with you having issue with it not reving .is this reving issue same with old or new ..to me it seems your dpf is blocked ....fitting a new sensor and having symptons as you describe to me ..seems your old sensor is duff or realistically intermittent...regards the new sensor I think ecu is holding back with fueling to safeguard engine like a safe mode
you stating that you've had issue 6 months or has it just came back?

Last edited by alfadave11; Jan 11th, 2016 at 21:27.
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 17:48   #4
paulicrew

Hi guys.

Thanks for your time and help. Yes it's diesel. And it's been happening for the 6 or 7 months that we've had the car. I'm wondering if this is the reason the previous owners traded in. I've spoken to my local garage too. And I've taken the plunge and booked it in. They said that the new sensor may well fix it but it will need plugging up and calibrating with the ECU. They're also going to drive it while plugged up and see what readings they get.

I'll update the thread with the results. Fingers crossed it's not too expensive.

Thanks again.

Paul
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 11:36   #5
paulicrew

Hi guys.

So the update. The garage did a forced re gen as the sensor was faulty and the car wouldn't do it by itself. They also replaced the sensor and took the car out for a run and it started another re gen. After each re gen they took sensor readings and each one improved results. Things were looking up. Unfortunately this morning 3 later, same spot as usual on the road, the car lost power.

I'm wondering if maybe the pipes from the filter to the sensor have got some grot in them?

Are they easy enough to get to? I'm hoping so, I'm hopefully going have a look tomorrow.

Thanks again

Paul
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 12:04   #6
domhart10
Volvo S40

Did it make a difference when you changed the MAF?

I had similar issues and the new device might of been faulty, I had one MAF which I order and it lasted a month which I then sent back for a new one and problem solved.

You could check for splits, but does sound like a sensor problem. do you loose power going up hill?

have you tried going all the way up the rev range? does the turbo not come on again? ie just a flat spot?
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 14:29   #7
JulianT
Volvo V60 1.6D e

Have you changed the fuel filter? If your loss of power spot is about 300m up the road, that's probably it.
JulianT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 17:47   #8
paulicrew

Hi All

Well it's been in the garage 3 times in about 6 weeks. It's had a forced re gen and new dpf sensor on the first visit.Then a chemical cleaner put through the filter on the next visit and finally on the last visit the egr valve was cleaned. Guess what, still not fixed! Incredibly annoyed and frustrated.

Any more suggestions welcome.

Paul
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 18:09   #9
paddyred
Master Member

Have you looked down the road of DPF removal if you are 100% sure its a DPF issue? There will be a rain of comments after this about the fact you need one for the MOT but that is incorrect. The DPF unit needs to be fitted however it is not a testable item, Nor are there MOT guidelines as to which car has it fitted and which don't. There are companies that gut the inside of the DPF and remap the car so it knows there is no DPF. They take the DPF out, cut the end open, remove the inside and then weld it back up and refit it to the vehicle. It will cost roughly half to a third of the cost of a replacement, you will get more power and not have to pay out for EOLYS fluid or replacement DPF unit. You also won't struggle with the DPF regeneration anymore.