Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Android tablet instead of DVD players?

Views : 875

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2012, 12:12   #1
GerryS

Default Android tablet instead of DVD players?

Noticed a few threads on fitting DVD players to headrests, etc.

Just wondered if anyone has gone down the Android tablet route instead? For around £60 you can get a tablet with 7" screen which will play video from the internal memory or via an SD card. Plus, it will do lots more (Internet, audio, etc). Isn't that cheaper than buying a standalone, portable DVD player?

There seem to be loads of different brands on Amazon, some of which get very good reviews. Just thought it might be an option to get a couple of these with some SD cards for videos. I realise there's the same issues with how to fix them to the headrests...

Any experience?

Thanks,

Gerry
GerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 14:53   #2
JSeaman

It's definitely a viable option, you can get some real bargains (<£50) off ebay. whilst the Samsung Galaxy etc are very good pieces of kit, you can get a WM850 for ~£50 which will do much of the same jobs in a slightly clunkier manner
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 16:53   #3
TheDufster

I looked at this but was put off by having to rip/encode/convert the films to a format that would be playable on the tablet.

At least the DVD players work straight from the actual discs (including DVD +/- R)

My Nextbase DVD players have the capability to play movies from a USB stick but it brings me right back to my point at the top of this post!

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 17:08   #4
JSeaman

AVI seems to be a popular choice for encoding
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 09:36   #5
GerryS

I can see that converting DVDs to AVI or whatever would be a bit of a drawback, but fairly easy these days. The main issue us that you have to decide what you're going to watch and convert it in advance, rather than just grabbing a handful of DVDs.

However, memory cards are so cheap (and big) these days it wouldn't take too much time to prepare a reasonable library of films.

It just seems atractive to me to have a tablet that you use for films in the car but can also use for internet access, email, listening to music, etc. in the home or on holiday. I accept the cheap ones are nowhere as good as the iPad, Samsung Galaxy tab, etc., but then they're really cheap and the amount of technology for the money is outstanding.

Has anyone got any brand recommendations or ideas for mounting in the car? (standard DVD headrest holders?)

Thanks,

Gerry
GerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 19:27   #6
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

Here is where the drawbacks start, the mounting solutions aren't really volvo freindly.

I thought about this but gave up on the seat mounting/safety issue.

Tried strap on screens originally but it was such a hastle.

I managed to find some volvo headrests with screens in and a micro media player and its all plumbed in.
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote