Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

bluetooth connectivity

Views : 1370

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 20:01   #1
JohnDeere8530

Default bluetooth connectivity

I have an '08 xc70 with bluetooth connectivity option coming soon.

What is this system like with an iphone5, any problems ? I assume it has had free software updates as it was serviced regularly by Volvo up until a yr ago.

Also will is stream music, or will I have to resort to a 3.5mm jack somewhere in the car. Im told by the (Jag) dealer its at that it does not have USB
JohnDeere8530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 21:21   #2
GrantA
Master Member

As far as I can gather (I have a MY09 XC70 so the same basic car) the "bluetooth" option for this car means it will connect your iPhone to the car and allow you to make and receive calls. Without a USB connection you will not be able to control the music from your iPhone, iPad or iPod.

I have a 3.5mm jack socket in the back panel of the glove box so I can plug in either iPhone, iPad or iPod, select "Aux" on the radio panel and then switch on to start playing music. If you want a particular track or album you have to manually select that on your device and press play on your device. Sorry but that's as good as it gets without the USB connection. I'm not sure if there is an after-market bit of kit that will do what the USB does or indeed if Volvo can fit the USB retrospectively, you may have to ask a main stealer or an expert on hear might chip in.

As I said in another thread check with any Volvo dealer to find out if the car has had all the recalls cleared, just give them the reg number.

Good luck.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 22:02   #3
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Like I said on your other thread, the Bluetooth is just for making / receiving calls and won't stream music. There is no reason it won't work with an iPhone 5.

As for the USB, there won't be one as standard on your car, but there was a dealer fitted option; but this was very expensive (about £300 from memory).

It will have a 3.5mm jack (AUX Socket), but as GrantA stats you can't do anything other than the volume.

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 22:06   #4
JohnDeere8530

I guess the best way would be to burn a dvd then from itunes somehow. I think I have about 4gb of music,so should get it onto one dvd
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 11:23   #5
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDeere8530 View Post
I guess the best way would be to burn a dvd then from itunes somehow. I think I have about 4gb of music,so should get it onto one dvd

I'm not sure it will play DVD's, I used to burn MP3 CD's which played fine but you can only hold about 700Mb on a CD.

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 11:33   #6
JohnDeere8530

ok in that case if I was inclined maybe something like the Parrot Mk9200 range or Motorola TK30. For about £100 these provide bluetooth telephony, stream audio and provide a usb socket. With the basic radio I wonder if it is just a case of turning off vehicle bluetooth (or on added device for that matter) and connecting it in the back of the stereo via (the standard iso leads if car has any) and then just using the usb input for the iphone ?
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 20:53   #7
rogerb
Lets take it to bits

Default iphone5 and bluetooth

I have an iphone 5. I did have an early '08 V70 with the factory bluetooth , it would work ok as a phone ,i.e. looking up contacts and making calls.It did not do streaming through.
The car also had a 3.5mm jack that you could plug the headphone plug adapter lead into, but it would only do volume adjustments on the radio and you had to adjust the phone on it's own.
It did not have USB.
My 2010 V70 has the same plus USB.It will display name track ect ,let you select album or track or random. This is with a USB stick I live plugged in all the time.
I have not tried the phone in the USB slot , as it stays in my pocket.
This is the factory USB ,I am not sure if the accessory version is the same.
Also the radio does not have ISO leads as it works via MOS (fiber opit)

Regards Roger

Last edited by rogerb; Mar 30th, 2013 at 21:19.
rogerb is offline   Reply With Quote