Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46913

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2021, 13:45   #551
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Quite embarrassed, if I'm honest! I didn't have another fuse, so recovered the rather old-looking one I'd taken out yesterday, cleaned the contacts on the fuse with 180 grade abrasive and used a drill bit as you suggested on the connectors in the box. Fitted as you said, turned it over and it started up fine. Tried it 3 times, opened and closed the window, all fine. No smells detected by my over-sensitive nose.

So, the old one (which I just refitted) could have jiggled out of position or just got corroded? And the new fuse I fitted wasn't blown because the wire was still fine, and the melted body means it wasn't fitted correctly.

Embarrassed for all the effort you fellas have put in to help us, and it was all about a fuse. [Hopefully!]

Bob - we'll definitely look at a new set of ceramic body fuses - when I find some, I'll post here to check we're getting the right thing, if that's ok.

Thank you all!
[as I type, I can hear the lad starting and stopping the engine outside :-) ]
All down to a corroded fuse! The drill-bit trick was taught to me ~30 years ago by a guy who would be ~90 now (assuming he's still with us) who used it when he first started out as an autoelectrician 30 years before that!

It's not at the forefront of most peoples minds these days because of the advent of the (much more reliable with a greater contact area) blade fuses which have been around ~40 years now.

Don't let your lad start and switch off repeatedly for too long though Chris, you'll end up with a flat battery! Rough rule of thumb is it takes 20 minutes of normal driving to recharge what a 5 second start takes from the battery.

When you get a spare hour and are feeling bored, a bit of attention to all the fuses with a drill bit and some emery paper (NOT sandpaper! ) on the fuses and contacts should help prevent future breakdowns. :thumbs-up:

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 13:56   #552
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Should the fuses be copper? Just reading other threads, not sure what's best.
Won't make a lot of difference either way to be honest Chris, best would be gold or gold-plated but that would be wasteful............

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 8th, 2021, 15:01   #553
Chris152

I'm tempted to take it for a longer run but a bit concerned there may be some deeper issue that caused the initial failure (time will tell), and we don't now have a backup 16a fuse. Amazed how hard it is to find them - they're called ceramic, but they all seem to be 'heat resitant' plastic.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 15:13   #554
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Chris I found ebay had the fuses- straight forward purchase for the various sizes.
You could always substitute a fuse from another area of the car not that important for the test run or just use some household fuse wire (rated as original etc)
Enjoy a run out!
Regards Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2021, 16:41   #555
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm tempted to take it for a longer run but a bit concerned there may be some deeper issue that caused the initial failure (time will tell), and we don't now have a backup 16a fuse. Amazed how hard it is to find them - they're called ceramic, but they all seem to be 'heat resitant' plastic.
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....9/category/244

There you go Chris, their P&P can be a bit £OUCH at times, especially on smaller things but good quality stuff.

If you really did get stuck miles from civilisation, an emergency get you home repair only is to find a piece of foil and wrap it tightly (to replicate the shape) shiny side out round the plastic former.

I'm sure fleabay have many Continental fuses too :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...fuses&_sacat=0

Can't remember the last car i had with those fuses in but i do remember periodically opening the fusebox and giving each a couple of turns to clean the end contacts to prevent bad connections which is what causes the heat.

Old May 8th, 2021, 16:50   #556
Chris152

Thanks both.

I'm sure I'm being dim here, but the only site I've managed to find selling ceramic fuses that are clearly identified as actually ceramic, not heat resitant plastic, is this one:
https://www.asap-supplies.com/electr.../ceramic-fuses
and they're much more expensive.
Most don't specify, and on Amazon, where I guess they're forced to name the materials, they're all plastic. Maybe that's not such an issue if you insert them properly in the fuse box?! (Unlike my effort yesterday.)

ETA - Gawd, even those aren't:
Main page: 'These continental fuses are made from ceramic materials and are suitable for marine and automotive use.'
Click on the link for one: 'These continental ceramic style fuses are made from thermoplastic polymer (TPP) and zinc materials and are suitable for marine and automotive use.'

Last edited by Chris152; May 8th, 2021 at 17:00.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 17:07   #557
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks both.

I'm sure I'm being dim here, but the only site I've managed to find selling ceramic fuses that are clearly identified as actually ceramic, not heat resitant plastic, is this one:
https://www.asap-supplies.com/electr.../ceramic-fuses
and they're much more expensive.
Most don't specify, and on Amazon, where I guess they're forced to name the materials, they're all plastic. Maybe that's not such an issue if you insert them properly in the fuse box?! (Unlike my effort yesterday.)

ETA - Gawd, even those aren't:
Main page: 'These continental fuses are made from ceramic materials and are suitable for marine and automotive use.'
Click on the link for one: 'These continental ceramic style fuses are made from thermoplastic polymer (TPP) and zinc materials and are suitable for marine and automotive use.'
On the 25A fuse i clicked on Chris, it said £0.54 for a pack of 5 so ~11p each which is quite cheap but they are on a clearance section or WIGIG as some call it, When It's Gone, It's Gone.

Most plastics will cope with the normal running temepratures of the fuses, if they do get hot the link is inclined to crumble in any case so keep the good plastic formers from blown fuses for use with the emergency foil trick. If you do manage to find genuine ceramic Continental fuses, they can be very fragile and if you drop them, the ceramic breaks so the plastic formers would also come in handy for that as well.

Old May 8th, 2021, 17:55   #558
Chris152

Thanks Dave - I tried to buy from that site but it got hung up twice on payment, so I've just ordered a pack of assorted on Amazon for £9, 200 pieces. They had good reviews, fingers crossed!
I bumped into a neighbour just now, he's into his cars and is going to try to find a 16a fuse for me, it'd mean we can try a drive tomorrow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2021, 18:35   #559
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave - I tried to buy from that site but it got hung up twice on payment, so I've just ordered a pack of assorted on Amazon for £9, 200 pieces. They had good reviews, fingers crossed!
I bumped into a neighbour just now, he's into his cars and is going to try to find a 16a fuse for me, it'd mean we can try a drive tomorrow.
... or you could go via your local Halfords and pick up a pack of these Chris:

https://www.halfords.com/tools/fuses...04-209023.html

... less than 2 quid and worth keeping in the glove box.

Alan
Old May 9th, 2021, 08:41   #560
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Ah the fuse box, the cause of many a hard to find electrical fault.

There’s nothing wrong with the design per se, but 30 years later good quality fuses are harder to find (by that I mean ones with a ceramic core, not a plastic one) and the fusebox will need a bit of cyclical maintenance to stop issues arising (as others have said above, rotating fuses, cleaning the contacts etc.)

For not much money and not much time it would be worth replacing the fuel pump fuses with blade fuses, this will involve buying two separate blade fuse holders and wiring them in. There have been a few forum posts on this.

Alternatively at long last a blade fuse fusebox became available last year. It’s a bit more money but has the advantage of being a direct replacement.

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/New_2..._20633527.aspx

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post: