Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine oil level has increased

Views : 1461

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2023, 10:29   #1
Alanwj

Default Engine oil level has increased

My v50 diesel engine oil level has increased without adding further oil have changed the oil and filter. After 3 days just checked the oil level and it has increased anyone experienced this problem
Alanwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 14:53   #2
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

I've experienced this with our Skoda Yeti, but not on our V70 D5. The usual suspects are (i) water/coolant getting in courtesy of a blown cylinder-head gasket, or (ii) diesel fuel contamination as a result of repeated attempts of the DPF regeneration process that have failed. I guess you may have checked your coolant level to see if it has gone down or if there is any sign of oil in the coolant.
Old Oct 9th, 2023, 09:11   #3
Alanwj

Thanks for the reply doesn't seem to be the cylinder head maybe the dpf filter how will I resolve the issue?
Alanwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2023, 14:16   #4
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

I've done my share of fretting about DPF blockages, increased oil levels and failure of the regeneration process over the last 15 years I've been running diesels. On a previous BMW there were a number of different conditions that had to be satisfied for a regeneration to take place. The Yeti is probably the same, but it gives definite clues when a regen is required and/or taking place (raised tick over, fans running, and it can be tracked via a mobile phone app).
Correspondents on here say that the Volvo regeneration process is very robust, and rarely causes problems. I used the Car Scanner app last week to monitor the DPF temperatures on our V70 in the hope of catching a regen taking place. No such luck because the app showed a temperature of 0°C - an unlikely reading at 60-70mph on the M5. Maybe the DPF temperature sensor on my DPF is up the Swanee.
Sorry I've not been much help, but if you have a search elsewhere on the forum you may find someone who can suggest the best way to diagnose your specific problem - possibly using VIDA.
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 09:46   #5
rmvm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanwj View Post
My v50 diesel engine oil level has increased without adding further oil have changed the oil and filter. After 3 days just checked the oil level and it has increased anyone experienced this problem

Funnily enough I have had a similar problem this morning, A message came on the screen saying "engine oil overfilled" Service needed. I spoke to my local Volvo dealer and apparently Volvo has issued advice to dealers not to completely fill the engine oil to capacity at service to allow for expansion. Apparently the cure for this problem is to remove some of the oil. I have arranged an appointment with my local Volvo dealer who offer this service free of charge. I will in the meantime give the car a good run down the motorway to see if it clears the problem. It would appear the main problem are short journeys that hinder the action of the particulate filter.

Last edited by rmvm; Oct 12th, 2023 at 09:48.
rmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2023, 13:58   #6
Indecon

Default DPF soot levels

I also have the common problem of an ‘oil overfill’ warning coming up on my XC60 D5 (2019). I understand that this is probably caused by a stalled regeneration cycle allowing extra fuel to be dumped into the oil sump. The cure is an oil change but I have also bought a OBDLINK MX+ and I’m using the Car Scanner app as I wanted to be able to see the building soot levels in the DPF so that I could know when a regen cycle was due. I was hoping to see a ‘soot level’ indicator output, but I don’t think the XC60 of my year has an output sensor for the OBD to read. I believe that instead, the differential pressure across the DPF is used to indicate the reduction in exhaust flow that arises from a soot build up in the DPF. The Car Scanner software can read the DPF differential pressure OK, but I have no idea what that differential pressure should reach when indicating a blocked filter that would itself trigger a regeneration cycle. Does anyone know what that pressure is?
Indecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 08:35   #7
5cilinder
Premier Member

The pressure is dynamic according to the engineload, but vida will mention the pressure for idle i guess
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote