Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1989 240 gl Estate seat

Views : 1274

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2023, 19:17   #1
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Default 1989 240 gl Estate seat

Looking for a drivers seat its dark grey,,, or help how to repair one. I have seen a UTUBE on how to get the covers off for washing which is interesting but i can feel the metal bars on both sides so guess the foam is knackered, any help is appreciated. regards Adrian.!!!!
timetrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timetrip For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2023, 15:58   #2
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Worth checking the seat repair videos on this rather than typing it all out etc:~
The repair & cleaning process is quite straight forward, seat covers can be washed by hand in lukewarm water and mild detergent once removed.

The breaks in the foam is not uncommon leaving the internal bars without any cushioning power.
The best way I have found to repair these splits is with spray adhesive for fabric, heat resistant type: Some use silicone I believe but adhesive is perfectly suitable for the foam and strengthening fabric that should also be used.
Spray the foam on each side and keep apart for a little while as it flashes off- carefully bring the two parts back together and press into shape.

The next stage is to get some heavy weight fabric like calico- sail cloth or denim.
Glue ample size pieces over the splits and cut larger shapes to match the base & backs- glue these down well following the seat lines.

I would also look at strengthening or replacing the elasticated webbing if it has failed or weakened (Classic car upholstery outlets will have these items or the likes of ebay)

Whilst you have the seats apart check and secure the heating elements.
The hog rings are just waiting to dig into your hands! use small cable ties instead- equally as strong with far more flexibility when reinstating the covers.

Certainly a DIY job if a little long winded on removing the covers but you will end up with a descent seat, done my car 3/4 years back without any further problems (two seats)
Hope it helps.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 13:01   #3
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Default Seats

Cheer's BOB,,
I did see the guy on Utube repairing the seat with denim etc. and very useful to,,!! I should mention that i bought this 1989 gl Estate last week { 83,000 } and in the process of repairing, oiling, cleaning and replacing all the old bits that need doing...the bodywork has very little rust and the back seats and estate section have hardly been used....A couple of knocking noises from bushes on left front side to do soon. plus i am taking it over to Classicsweede for a tune up later on.... will look for some adhesive shortly as the front seats will be coming out as i need to repair the black console that has a bit to glue back on or buy another,,,,,,regards Adrian. p s yes, the tailgate wiring needs doing to..lol........
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 13:31   #4
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Good luck with the car:~
I have the '88 GL Estate with similar mileage: never found anything on the car that is beyond the average DIY fix.

Seats will come up well, just take some time on them- all materials are reasonable priced https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ https://www.carcarpets.co.uk/
https://www.segalmotortrimmings.net/

The above are just a few descent suppliers but online ebay is also useful.
FIO I believe the foam is remanufactured in the USA (quite a complicated shape) but no need to go that far for a competent repair.

The tailgate wiring is also quite straight forward: you can do a side at a time by supporting the boot door and removing the appropriate hinge- you will find a connector on the left hand side (looking at the boot) just under the headlining, splicing in new cable as required - shrink down sleeving is also handy for the flexing through the hinges.

Regards Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo F185GTT2 007 (2).jpg (165.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo.jpg (280.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Jan 8th, 2023 at 13:41.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 19:12   #5
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Default 1989 gl

Hi again Bob, I have done a tailgate wiring in the past. Also just ordered some tuskbond ht150 glue off ebay for the foam. and iv got some denim somewhere although the wife s old skirt might do the trick..{ will tell her when the jobs done,,lol }. I will send you some photos of the 2 x gls and one off the glt later on ,,,cheers again, Adrian.
p s, Yes i have and old catalog of woolies and thanks for the others..!

Last edited by timetrip; Jan 8th, 2023 at 19:14.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timetrip For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 19:28   #6
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Default Photos

Not sure how to put photos on here ,,,,!!
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 19:38   #7
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Timetrip,

Easiest way I find is using an iPad, as you can easily take the photo you want to post, and create the thread also.

Basically, once you're in the box creating your post, there is a paper clip icon on the top row, just right of the white smiley face.

Click the paper clip icon, this will then open a new page to allow you to add photos. Select the Choose Item button, and this should then ask you where the photo is, on iPad it's generally in photo library.

Think you can do 5 at a time, although you have to be careful as if photo file size is too large it won't work.

Once all photos are in, select Upload, then once that finishes, scroll to bottom of the page, and select close window.

Should then take you back to your thread, and once submitted they should appear.

I still end up posting some that end up upside down though😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 20:15   #8
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Default photos

will give it a go, cheers,,!
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 20:27   #9
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Default My 240s

H 210 GNF,110K In garage on farm where I live having head gasket done by myself ,,,first time ever i might add,,, with help from a good mechanic.
G802 TVR {H reg} Grey glt 139k needs a bit more work body wise.
And newest arrival F348 GHE 83k great condition, just need tuning..20230109_095207.jpg

20230109_130738.jpg

20230109_130751.jpg