Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Recently Purchased XC90, Few questions

Views : 1509

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 11:34   #13
Ryan2507

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
All this nonsense about aftermarket belts not fit for purpose is rubbish.
My main job was fitting timing belts to all makes of vehicles. I absolutely hated it but I got the dirty work. I fitted at least 1 timing belt everyday for cars sold and customers service. We fitted gates, conti, skf and dayco. Never had we 1 fail in anything and that includes water pumps, timing belts and fan belts.
These are all top quality brands.
If the genuine is close to these in price and easily sourced then fair enough.
But if these products were giving trouble I would have knew. The garage stood over all work. If it failed it was garages problem.
Just a few posts back someone is complaining of a faulty genuine tensioner.
If a fan belt fails it is usually down to faulty pulleys, tensioners or old age. Never have I seen a fan belt fail due to not being genuine.
I would rather have a new skf waterpump or any of those other brands than a genuine volvo one with 100,000 miles. As I stated above. I've yet to see a waterpump I fitted fail.
If your father is a mechanic he will also know this.
For all the people on here who says aftermarket timing kits are rubbish. How many actually fit aftermarket kits for a living and have seen repeated fails and I'm not talking about what some other cowboy fitted and you repaired. I've fitted thousands and i
can tell you now its rubbish.
Most fails of anything is due to poor workmanship.
He’s an aircraft engineer but built and maintained cars for 40 odd years, in fairness I’m not talking about quality brands when I say he wouldn’t fit it, I mean cheap Chinese unbranded **** off eBay
Ryan2507 is offline   Reply With Quote