Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 V70 2.4 N/A . Oxygen sensor cleaning ??

Views : 713

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2021, 14:16   #1
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Default 2003 V70 2.4 N/A . Oxygen sensor cleaning ??

Trying a few options to get better MPG ! And wondered if the car has one or two sensors and if people have had any luck cleaning them out ? OR is it not worth it ? Currently hitting 19-20 mpg max in LOndon traffic
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 15:02   #2
ajm
Master Member

I've never driven in London traffic but I'd say your MPG looks about right for that - these cars really aren't efficient for slow start/stop journeys.

I've never known cleaning a lambda sensor to actually improve anything (replacing it might if it's the original and getting a bit tired, but it doubt it'd make a significant difference to your MPG.)
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 15:32   #3
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Cheers

Might try attaching a Sail and see if that helps !
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 16:08   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I've read some O2 sensors last "10-12 years or 100K".
We know it ain't that bad but yours are 18-19 years old.

Get a DENSO replacement for the upstream sensor.
Yes, it'll be something of an experiment but the reward is better mileage.

My experience with my 2002 included a CEL (for the heater element had gone bad) and an instantaneous 20%-25% reduction in mileage....I could see the fuel gauge drop faster.

No telling how bad your likely sluggish sensor is but any improvement you can calculate will see your new sensor paid for fast.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 16:13   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

mine is about the same and I've tried all sorts

it seems to be improving by like half an mpg at a time every time i do something, so far I've gone from 17 where something obviously not right to about 21-22 urban / 26-27 ish long journeys

people with the more modern cars (170hp) seem to be reporting better mpg so i'm still definitely thinking try the remap, best case I get better mpg AND 30 extra horses, worst case, just the horses. do you know which map you have?

dont forget though there is variation depending where you get your petrol from, I find the best is shell, and by far the worst is tesco. im told BP is good but there just isn't one near any of my usual routes

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 16:19   #6
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post

it seems to be improving by like half an mpg at a time every time i do something, so far I've gone from 17 where something obviously not right to about 21-22 urban / 26-27 ish long journeys

people with the more modern cars (170hp) seem to be reporting better mpg so i'm still definitely thinking try the remap, best case I get better mpg AND 30 extra horses, worst case, just the horses. do you know which map you have?

dont forget though there is variation depending where you get your petrol from, I find the best is shell, and by far the worst is tesco. im told BP is good but there just isn't one near any of my usual routes
Stuart , Ive been running diesels for the last 13 years and never ever worried about fuel grade or how fast I drove ! But the good old Mayor forced my hand and i could not find a Lexus 400h that I liked and bought this volvo as a stop gap. Its gutless and drinks like Oliver Reed .But I kinda like it ! But will avoid supermarket petrol .

Just this second found a Yellow amp for my car .for less than £40 delivered. So happy about that and will swap it out very soon after getting it . The extra power will then make me want to do the door speakers !. I'm not going to bother with a Sub .But will stick some sound deadening inside each door .
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 16:20   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

urban only readings are something like this

17mpg

changed sparks
Wynn's
New Air Filter

18mpg

Cataclean
New Tyres and upped to 35psi
(Balancing / Alignment)

20mpg

New O2 Sensor
Redex #1

21mpg

added undertray not fitted as standard
Changed fuel filter

22mpg

I live in a very stop start / traffic / speed bumps kind of area

having said all this I am happy with the mpg as a fair trade off for safety, comfort and load space, plus I never wanted a diesel partly due to preference and partly due to the tax changes that are coming, plus the issues with Ulez which mine is exempt from somehow

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Nov 27th, 2021 at 16:26.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 16:21   #8
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post

Mine has no Map .My D5 did and it was done by R-tech.The fuel filter change for me will pay for itself quickly !
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 16:21   #9
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD1 View Post
drinks like Oliver Reed

haha . what a legend

mini project - link
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 16:22   #10