Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it worth fixing?

Views : 2696

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2021, 00:34   #11
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

You bought it two weeks ago and have since found that it's not what you thought you were buying. It's thus probably not what the dealer said he was selling.
Take it back; get a full refund; start again elsewhere.

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 09:02   #12
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
I dont care what manufacturer it is. When I get paid a few hours labour to stand over a job, that would cost thousands if it goes wrong, ill be changing the pump or I wouldn't take on the job.
Volvo are so confident of the pumps integrity they only recommend it be replaced every 2nd belt change. Despite everyone being quick to moan when their Volvo goes wrong, no one on this forum has complained that they/their dealer did as Volvo advised and they lived to regret it with regards to this issue.

If they get it done at a dealer, and follow manufacturers guidance and it all goes wrong then the people that gave that guidance are liable. That being the case, where are all the people that have had it go wrong and claimed against Volvo over this?

Thar being the case, what evidence do you have that you know better than the manufacturer? Why waste customers money and add to landfill over something that the people that made the car says is not necessary?
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 09:46   #13
ltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Volvo are so confident of the pumps integrity they only recommend it be replaced every 2nd belt change. Despite everyone being quick to moan when their Volvo goes wrong, no one on this forum has complained that they/their dealer did as Volvo advised and they lived to regret it with regards to this issue.

If they get it done at a dealer, and follow manufacturers guidance and it all goes wrong then the people that gave that guidance are liable. That being the case, where are all the people that have had it go wrong and claimed against Volvo over this?

Thar being the case, what evidence do you have that you know better than the manufacturer? Why waste customers money and add to landfill over something that the people that made the car says is not necessary?
Is this the same manufacturer that says the transmission oil doesn't need changed?
Really? Volvo are liable. If after a timing belt change the pump goes 9 years later then volvo would stand over it.
Your having a laugh.
Doesn't make sense to change every bearing but leave 1.
The waterpumps are recycled as they worth money they are not filling up land fills and its not wasting customers money. If you want to save money stay away from the main stealer. And stop paying stupid prices for genuine parts coz it comes in volvo box. An skf pump and timing belt kit comes to ,£100. And your looking to save £30 on a waterpump but your willing to pay stupid prices for the same brands coz it says volvo on it. Gates, skf, INA etc make the parts for the dealers, then the dealers double the price.

Last edited by ltec; Nov 28th, 2021 at 09:56.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 10:08   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The OP has bought exactly the sort of car that I love to buy.... neglected, lots of issues, teetering on the scrap it/fix it line.

The enjoyment and satisfaction of restoring that car to full working and good order is immense (for a sad old engineer like me anyway), and you will likely (but not always) and up with something properly sorted and at lower cost than buying a nice one - assuming you have the knowledge and tools to do all the repairs yourself.

However, that only really works out if you are planning on keeping the car a long time as you will never be able to recover the lost service history and on that basis, my personal opinion is the car would have been worth ~ £3k, £3.5k max if the bodywork and interior was mint.

Now that said, it was a straight swap out, so best to think about it in terms of what the PX car was like...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 11:42   #15
Kev0607
Premier Member

A few sums…

£4,800 purchase price

Its worth £5,700, according to AutoTrader (questionable)

That leaves you £900 “in pocket”, in theory (not counted yet)

£2,500 to fix the vehicle

= £7,300 (Purchase price plus repair cost).

-£900 “in pocket” figure, as you paid below the going rate = £6,400

£6,400 - £5,700 (true value) = £700

Doesn’t sound so bad…

However, I don’t believe the figure quoted as being the value of the vehicle by AutoTrader is correct. I think that figure would be correct if the vehicle was in very good condition in all aspects, so these sums aren’t exactly accurate in that sense.

I still think you’ll be well out of pocket fixing this car. Its probably worth £4k maximum as is… I don’t think its worth fixing, unless you’re keeping the car for many years. In doing so, you’ll hopefully have a solid motor that doesn’t cost much to run for years to come. Come sale time though, you’ll never recoup that cost to fix it… Another words, don’t be thinking you’ll get £2,500 extra for it in due course because you won’t.

It depends how much you value the vehicle. I think this car was sold because it needed so much work doing to it because the previous owner just let things pile up. If you love it, can see its potential & are happy to keep it on the road for many years, then I can see why you’d dive in & get the repairs done. Otherwise, its pointless.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother fixing it. Get a refund & find something in better condition. Not to sound rude, but you went the wrong way with this. You should have got all the inspections done before buying the car. You’ve bought it & then found out that it would cost £2,500 to fix after you bought it.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 28th, 2021 at 12:16.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 12:05   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I dont care what manufacturer it is. When I get paid a few hours labour to stand over a job, that would cost thousands if it goes wrong, ill be changing the pump or I wouldn't take on the job.
well as long as you use a volvo water pump , But don't ever use another cheap make or you will be liable for an engine sooner or later , don't you have liability insurance? ... 👍
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 14:40   #17
ltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
well as long as you use a volvo water pump , But don't ever use another cheap make or you will be liable for an engine sooner or later , don't you have liability insurance? ... 👍
No I don't use genuine. I use top brands at reasonable prices. Skf is as good a quality as you get and well trusted. Never had a failure or comeback or leak later down the line. You get reasonably priced quality top brands that make original for the manufacturers and then you get overpriced good quality as in the same but double coz it says volvo. Just common sense really.
An xc90 really isn't that special you know. There is know extra special requirements needed from the timing belt or pump just coz its a volvo.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 14:46   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
No I don't use genuine. I use top brands at reasonable prices. Skf is as good a quality as you get and well trusted. Never had a failure or comeback or leak later down the line. You get reasonably priced quality top brands that make original for the manufacturers and then you get overpriced good quality as in the same but double coz it says volvo. Just common sense really.
An xc90 really isn't that special you know. There is know extra special requirements needed from the timing belt or pump just coz its a volvo.
You need to know about how good volvo quality is , and what happens when you fit non genuine water pumps ! The only ones that fail are the non genuine ones . I don't know what your experience is but mine is 47 years on vovlo .
as long as the water pump spins freely and quietly and has no leak leave well alone . There should be a touch of play in the bearing this enables the belt a certain degree of self aligning on the pulley .
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 14:56   #19
ltec

I didn't say volvo wasn't good quality. I said its overpriced. If a part half the price does exactly the same job, then its money wasted.
What's your experience in fitting quality aftermarket waterpumps. Coz I've also fitted them all my life. I've never heard of any of the top brand waterpumps fail ever regardless of whether its on a volvo or not.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 15:46   #20
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Sadly even the brands with SKF or Timken bearings are not in the same league for longevity. No aftermarket item has proven comparable to the OE water pump.

And we all know the problems that supposedly quality belts can cause on the D5...

Volvo parts also have a lifetime warranty if fitted at a dealer - now that may not be cheap, but in the long run it's liable to be money very well spent indeed.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Nov 28th, 2021 at 15:48.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Familyman 90 For This Useful Post: