Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 radio issue

Views : 703

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2021, 19:11   #1
Dippydog
Premier Member

Default C70 radio issue

My step daughter recently bought a Y reg C70[it's a 2.4 lpt manual if that makes a difference]when we picked it up the seller said a previous owner had fitted LED bulbs in the rear light units.Step daughter now reports that when she applies the foot brakes the radio cuts out and comes back on when the pedal is released.Could this be down to the LED bulbs or are we looking at deeper issues?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 19:23   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

take out led bulbs and see if it makes any change to raidio problem might be a cheap easy fix . check all earth connections
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 20:29   #3
bob12
bob12

I do not know the answer and, not having considered a Y C70's wiring diagram but, I assume that the footbrake circuit/lights are potentially 'live' all the time even when the iginition if off. It just takes a push on the brake pedal to make the circuit to activate the brake pedal switch and stop lights. At least that's the way it works on my '98 V70.

The brake pedal switch is a complicated little 'gem' (requiring set up) being off when when the switch button is not touching the pedal when the brake pedal is not operated.

When the brake pedal is operated the pedal arm moves down making contact with the switch button so making the brake light circuit.

I would be looking at a common earth connection between the head unit and the stop lights for the fault.

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Nov 26th, 2021 at 20:53.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 00:07   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Does the radio actually cut out - i.e. power off - or just lose reception? If the latter then yes it is likely the bulbs. The C70 FM aerial and amplifier is at the rear and the MW aerial is behind the rear bumper.

I'm basing that as I've seen LED drivers and 5v adaptor affect DAB and FM reception on cars.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 21:01   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

As we're on a day out[to Elvington] tomorrow I'll ask her that question Tannaton.One other thing I forgot to mention is it has a tow bar fitted but a previous owner has removed the tow ball and electric socket[s]so I suppose it might also depend on what they did with the wiring when they removed those bits.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 22:00   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
As we're on a day out[to Elvington] tomorrow I'll ask her that question Tannaton.One other thing I forgot to mention is it has a tow bar fitted but a previous owner has removed the tow ball and electric socket[s]so I suppose it might also depend on what they did with the wiring when they removed those bits.
Regarding the towbar: it is more than likely the ball and electrics were never fitted. It is a popular handling mod on the convertible to fit the towbar without the ball to 'improve' handling.

As Tannaton mentioned there is an additional antenna within the rear bumper on the drivers side. Remove the boot trim panel and you should find a blue box connected to a coaxial cable and a small black wire going through the body towards the bumper - next to the light cluster. On the attachment you can see the large round hole below the light cluster. On the passenger side the cable for the reversing sensors goes through there and the corresponding hole on the drivers side is for the antenna cable. This is in addition to the electric aerial on the rear wing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20171223_001.jpg (150.6 KB, 15 views)
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 22:57   #7
Dippydog
Premier Member

Apparently when she applies the footbrake the radio goes from playing normally to giving out "static" and as soon as she releases the pedal normal service is resumed until of course the next time she applies the brakes.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 23:17   #8
Luxobarge
Premier Member

In that case as simmy suggests above, replace with normal bulbs and if that cures it then that's the problem - quick, easy and cheap. Having confirmed the diagnosis, you can always try some different types of LED bulbs if your (her?) heart is set on them.