Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

reversing cameras and radios...

Views : 982

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2021, 14:02   #1
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Default reversing cameras and radios...

As much as I want to keep my 850 looking as factory original as possible, I also want a decent DAB radio and a reversing camera!

I have considered a Pure/Alpine add-on DAB controller, but then I'd also need a reversing camera display, which would make the dash look a bit comical with various gadgets stuck everywhere! Having just finished ripping out all the gadgets that were fitted by a PO in Japan, I don't want to go down that route

Which leaves me with the option of fitting a double DIN DAB radio with a facility for a rear view camera feed, and bluetooth connectivity for my android phone. Has anyone got one fitted, and how good is it? Is the DAB reception ok, is the camera display clear? Night vision good? Sound quality good? etc

Thanks as always.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 18:17   #2
volvo again
Master Member

I have thought of swapping the standard cd radio for a double din unit but decided against it,, wasn't too keen on the cheap chinese units and being a tight fisted buggar didn't want to spend a fortune on top brands.
I have a reversing camera with small monitor on top of the dash near the door.
One thing I would suggest is to check DAB coverage in your area...
Also you will need to repalce the aerial for DAB one...
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 09:52   #3
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I agree, I'd be adverse to fitting one of the cheapo unit, it'd be a Blaupunkt, Sony, Alpine, maybe Kenwood etc

I've had DAB radios in all my previous cars, in fact the S70 T5 that I sold a few months ago had a high end Blaupunkt DAB fitted - these are the best DAB radios I've come across, the reception is superb. If they did a double DIN with a camera input, I'd be all over it
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 12:20   #4
richmac

Hi,

If you do decide to go down the simple DAB route, I have a Pure Highway 200 fitted on my gear selector 'tunnel' that works through the standard Volvo head unit. It was easy to fit and the reception and sound quality are both very good. It's almost worth buying just for the aerial and extra bits.

However, I looked into double DINs as well. Blaupunkt do what you're lookng for but they call them Multimedia units. The latest ones now seem to do everything:

https://blaupunkt.com/c_ee/automotiv...ltimedia-c_ee/
https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/cat...larity=DESC&v=

Hope you find what you're looking for.

BR,

Rich.

Last edited by richmac; Nov 27th, 2021 at 14:32.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richmac For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 09:52   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I've been a stalwart of the standard 805 unit, with aux input jiggered/soldered in. My boy fitted a Sony Double DIN job, and whilst it does all the things HE would want, Apple car play, SatNav via google maps, 'phoneless-cord' etc, etc to be honest all i want is Radio 4 and Classic FM. Maybe a bit of Steve Wright to avoid 'The Archers'?

The old unit does all that, and with buttons instead of touch screens, that can be operated whilst driving.

Whereas the Sony unit is a mini Android phone, with umpteen functions I don't use but without an easy to grab volume control and channel selection I can use blindfold.

The stock unit has buttons, and cost me bugger-all, looks stock, and is not a magnet to pilferage.

Disconnect the battery,you'll see 10-15 mins resetting the bloody thing, all whilst watching its in-store demo program.
More for the bloke that wants 73 programs on his washing-machine and 86 on his fridge. If you've a penchant for spending hours in those 'out-of-town' white-goods sheds, surrounded by daft-size TVs, you're going to love it.

Even this 'grumpy' likes its reversing camera, the camera swings it for me; looking down at my ball-hitch is very useful - but only just. My boy's fitting a P2 steering wheel with buttons, and I'm grateful to him.

Each to his own.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 28th, 2021 at 10:44.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 22:55   #6
Donmac

I tried doing a bit of this with my previous C70 using several Blaupunkt radios now in a cupboard

The unexpected bonus was linking the New York 845 to my phone with the Android App. All my CD's were on the phone and the radio controlled and displayed the artist/album/track selection. Also, having a 20GB data allowance I just streamed internet radio into the New York.

For DAB I then got the add on plug-in tuner which wouldn't work and the only UK Blaupunkt radio dealer I could find was happy not to help since he didn't sell the radio. The German dealer that sold the tuner replaced it but to no avail

The New York Satnav was good and even had a setting for how forcefully the announcements were made (seriously!) but, I couldn't get the TMC traffic updates working

Still craving DAB like most of the pool cars where I work, I came across a Hannover 570DAB and installed it with the Blaupunkt powered DAB antenna fitted for the previous radio. Reception was woeful and the general 'sound' didn't compare to either the New York or the original SC910 (without Dolby) so I dallied with a Blaupunkt Bremen MP76 twin tuner and a multi CD before selling the car with the old SC910 installed.

If looking for DAB I'd strongly suggest getting a really good roof antenna installed - in a previous 1989 Audi 80 with Blaupunkt Woodstock I could drive from Essex to Scotland without losing the DAB signal until I went north of Perth!

I'd also suggest considering a non-DAB radio that can stream AND control your phone like the latest generation of standard fit high end media units - the only potential drawback I can think of is using TomTom satnav on the phone may stop music streaming.

Me? Still being wowed by the SC910 & Dolby in the C70 T5 I got last year.

Hope this helps......

Don
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 05:49   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:

Me? Still being wowed by the SC910 & Dolby in the C70 T5 I got last year.

Yes, don't get me wrong. The new unit is in many ways brillaint, however back in the day the stock units met much praise. Real world, they sound very good to anyone but a fruit-bat and still stack. DAB is not always vastly better. Those stock units worked back in the day and still do.

SatNav for me is still done on my dash-mount, and this with Google Maps on the Sony. Quicker and easier to see on my separate TomTom dash-mount. The TomTom is in line-of-sight, whereas you can't be looking down at Google-maps in a head-unit at motorway speeds or on a roundabout. My TomTom is mounted to the right of the wheel, just above the RH driver's air-vent.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Dec 3rd, 2021 at 06:01.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 13:38   #8
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Donmac, it sounds like you having a similar liking for Blaupunkt radios

I'm sure you'll recognise this one, it was a cracking little radio, despite its dated styling -

It went through 3 (I think) cars before it finally died. Well the CD did, the DAB was always superb. The last car it was in was my S70 T5 - I removed it from that car after someone stole my uber rare 2ft long DAB antenna which gave stunning DAB reception

I've also had a Nashville, and a Stockholm 370 which is another superb unit - that one has a built in mic which works really well with the bluetooth connection, meaning that you don't need an external mic.

I was fleetingly thinking of getting the Bremen 46, but I'm not sure that'll look ok in an 850 - its a bit too '80s. It'd be fine in an original BMW 6 series, but not so good in an 850 lol.

Which brings me back to another Stockholm, or an Alpine/Pure add on unit for the 801
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post: