Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1990 g reg rare volvo classic estate 760 gle v6 in fantastic

Views : 1236

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2021, 15:53   #11
barkster1971
VOC Member

Default mileage

With the price of petrol now nearly £1.50, anything with abysmal mpg is gonna be a hard sell.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 15:59   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkster1971 View Post
With the price of petrol now nearly £1.50, anything with abysmal mpg is gonna be a hard sell.
What do you mean, "nearly"??? I've just paid £1.579/L for BP Ultimate!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 17:42   #13
Forrest
VOC Member

You may find the price of fuel starts to come down again soon. There seems to be a bit of a challenge mounting in the West against OPEC’s price fixing and the price of crude crashed ten percent today upon fears of new Covid restrictions.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 20:11   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
You may find the price of fuel starts to come down again soon. There seems to be a bit of a challenge mounting in the West against OPEC’s price fixing and the price of crude crashed ten percent today upon fears of new Covid restrictions.
It can't come soon enough! I have heard the govt has challeneged the petrol retailers to reduce the price at the pumps seeing as crude has come down a fair bit. Also i heard Biden has released something like 5bn barrels of crude from the USA reserve to help ease the "shortage" of fuel. Should help the price drop further too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 10:26   #15
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Fuel has edged down a touch in price locally to me, I’ve paid 140.9 for unleaded and £144.9 for diesel at a couple of garages. Obviously this is still disgustingly expensive, but not quite as obscene as it has been.

The cost of living in general has risen significantly in the last few months. Sunak claims it’s just the reality of the “post Covid economy” and we all need to suck it up, but in truth we aren’t post-Covid at all, just learning to adapt to it.

My line of work (I’m a musician) is still reeling from the Covid related changes. Studio work has changed entirely, gigs have been decimated by venues closing down, agents struggling, audiences not being confident to come out and mix with one another etc, even the basic “grin and bank it” live circuit is in bits with pubs and restaurants struggling/closing and weddings/functions being postponed endlessly.

On top of this, whilst the cost of living has risen immeasurably over the last 20yrs, gig fees are still the same as they were at the turn of the millennium.

In general (not just personally speaking) if everyone was making more money, we wouldn’t be averse to spending more money, but the reality is that unless the disparity between stagnated income figures and the spiralling cost of living is addressed, I worry that we’re going to end up with a deepening crisis of people being unable to afford to drive to work, where they’ll earn an insufficient amount of money to pay for the home they can’t afford to drive back to!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 11:15   #16
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

While I have great sympathy for 'AHKV' and others like him, the situation that he so eloquently describes is by no means recent or unprecedented. We experienced rampant inflation in the late '70s and early '80s, when we saw mortgage rates double to over 15%.

It may be unpopular, but spare a thought also for those who, by dint of hard work, paid off those mortgages, and have perhaps since accrued some modest savings which they hoped would help sustain them in retirement.

For example, we have one ISA worth just over £3K which pays three pence per month. Our bank then send us an annual statement, detailing the transactions, for which the postage alone exceeds the value of the interest added. If I saved it all up for four years, it would just about cover the cost of my Saturday newspaper for one week!

We do, as you say, live in a mad, mad world, 'AHKV'.

Regards, John.
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 11:50   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
While I have great sympathy for 'AHKV' and others like him, the situation that he so eloquently describes is by no means recent or unprecedented. We experienced rampant inflation in the late '70s and early '80s, when we saw mortgage rates double to over 15%.

It may be unpopular, but spare a thought also for those who, by dint of hard work, paid off those mortgages, and have perhaps since accrued some modest savings which they hoped would help sustain them in retirement.

For example, we have one ISA worth just over £3K which pays three pence per month. Our bank then send us an annual statement, detailing the transactions, for which the postage alone exceeds the value of the interest added. If I saved it all up for four years, it would just about cover the cost of my Saturday newspaper for one week!

We do, as you say, live in a mad, mad world, 'AHKV'.

Regards, John.
I was explaining similar to a friend of mine the other day John. We were talking about hypothetical lottery wins and she said she'd be happy with £1m, she could buy her bungalow (long story involving a bereavement etc, won't bore everyone with the details), have a holiday then live off the interest.

After taking out the full cost of the bungalow and a few other bits and pieces she said she'd want before living on the interest, i summised she'd have ~£600k left.
She said she could happily live on the interest from that.

The interest is ~£6k/pa based on a 1% interest rate as it's currently about that. That's ~£120/week but take out the 40% tax for unearned income and it drops to £72 so i asked how much it costs to fill the tank on her car.

She soon changed her mind!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 12:51   #18
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I was explaining similar to a friend of mine the other day John. We were talking about hypothetical lottery wins and she said she'd be happy with £1m, she could buy her bungalow (long story involving a bereavement etc, won't bore everyone with the details), have a holiday then live off the interest.

After taking out the full cost of the bungalow and a few other bits and pieces she said she'd want before living on the interest, i summised she'd have ~£600k left.
She said she could happily live on the interest from that.

The interest is ~£6k/pa based on a 1% interest rate as it's currently about that. That's ~£120/week but take out the 40% tax for unearned income and it drops to £72 so i asked how much it costs to fill the tank on her car.

She soon changed her mind!
You would get a better rate than 1% on 600k Dave. Still not back in the good old days of 15% Now that would be nice !
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 13:22   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
You would get a better rate than 1% on 600k Dave. Still not back in the good old days of 15% Now that would be nice !
You may well do Andrew but it's vastly different to 15% which would be £90k pa, even taking out the 40% unearned tax it still leaves you with £54k pa or a grand a week to live on.
Also if you intended to live on the interest, you'd need an account that not only paid interest monthly but that you could draw on monthly to pay your bills, live etc. For that, financial institutions penalise you with the interest rates so wouldn't be appreciably better than 1%.

Old Dec 4th, 2021, 13:40   #20
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Higher sums in the right place can attract more favourable rates. In the proper place a million may give £2500-£3000 in interest a month, compound of course.

However, a smaller sum, say £100,000 to keep the math simple, will not attract £250-£300 a month.

The more you got, the better you can do with it. My pension and investments are RPI linked, so mine maintain their value in real terms.

Does anyone remember when a V6 was seen as something special in the UK, something to aspire to? Now they're an expensive embuggerance that no one wants.