Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spin Control Off & No Power

Views : 924

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2021, 17:22   #1
whiteo1

Default Spin Control Off & No Power

Hi

Wondering if someone may have any suggestions on this. Have a 2006 XC90 2.4D5 which I went to start a couple of mornings ago and the DSTC orange warning light started flashing as soon as I pulled away. This has cut all power and is now permanantly on. This is now accompanied by messages showing:
Spin Control Off
Anti Skid Off

When I say no power there is literally nothing maybe 2-3mph flat out! Although still goes pretty quick in reverse - maybe not the best temporary solution.

Unfortunately living in the sticks my local garage is about 30 minutes out which on current speed would take me about 3 days to get there!

Found a similar post on this forum where people have linked this to first stages of battery failure but have done a quick test across the terminals and getting 12.4 which I believe should not be low enough to cause any issues.

If anyone has any ideas that I can attempt to do a bit of trial and error fault finding - even temporary fix just to get me to garage. I am also looking into OBD scanners to assist if anyone could recommend one that would be suitable for this type of issue (assume ABS compatable needed?).

Many thanks for any help.
whiteo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 14:16   #2
LiamM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteo1 View Post
Hi

Wondering if someone may have any suggestions on this. Have a 2006 XC90 2.4D5 which I went to start a couple of mornings ago and the DSTC orange warning light started flashing as soon as I pulled away. This has cut all power and is now permanantly on. This is now accompanied by messages showing:
Spin Control Off
Anti Skid Off

When I say no power there is literally nothing maybe 2-3mph flat out! Although still goes pretty quick in reverse - maybe not the best temporary solution.

Unfortunately living in the sticks my local garage is about 30 minutes out which on current speed would take me about 3 days to get there!

Found a similar post on this forum where people have linked this to first stages of battery failure but have done a quick test across the terminals and getting 12.4 which I believe should not be low enough to cause any issues.

If anyone has any ideas that I can attempt to do a bit of trial and error fault finding - even temporary fix just to get me to garage. I am also looking into OBD scanners to assist if anyone could recommend one that would be suitable for this type of issue (assume ABS compatable needed?).

I had similar, not sure about reverse working as I didn’t try, but it turned out to be damaged wiring to two injectors. Took ages to figure out as the code scanner didn’t pick it up right.
Getting a proper (well it was a copy) volvo Vida/dice scanner proved to be invaluable.
LiamM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LiamM For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 08:56   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Getting a proper code read that is Volvo VIDA or compatible will likely tell you exactly what the problem is.

You should measure the battery voltage with the engine running as well - it should be circa 14.2 - 14.4 volts which would indicate the alternator is charging.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2021, 09:49   #4
zikomo

Just a thought - how long did you try to make forward progress for? Reason I ask is I had a similar issue with similar warning messages. Car would only crawl forward for first minute or so, then full power would kick in and could drive as normal. Turned out to be an ABS ring I think.

Try again, this time let the car crawl forward for a bit and see of power kicks in. If it does be careful, you will get wheel spin if you floor it and some instability when putting any power on during a turn.
zikomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 20:10   #5
zakmuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamM View Post
I had similar, not sure about reverse working as I didn’t try, but it turned out to be damaged wiring to two injectors. Took ages to figure out as the code scanner didn’t pick it up right.
Getting a proper (well it was a copy) volvo Vida/dice scanner proved to be invaluable.
I had similar too, kept going to limp mode. First time it was the drive shaft issue and the second time it was the No2 injector- had a loose connection.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...96#post2786096
Old Dec 17th, 2021, 15:46   #6
noddycat

I had exactly the same - the same symptoms / warnings - was just a front ABS sensor - straightforward DIY or garage job. I've got VIDA so it was an easy diagnosis - I also found that with the initial lack of power after starting off, if you kept your foot down normal power resumed within a few seconds.

My money's on the same for you, though you won't know for sure until you've had the codes read. The VIDA ABS sensor error can also be the ABS ring too apparently - again straightforward though a bit more of a faff.
noddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 16:25   #7
Xc90noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteo1 View Post
Hi

Spin Control Off
Anti Skid Off

Hey whiteo, did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the exact same and would love to know how you resolved it. Thanks
Xc90noobie is offline   Reply With Quote