Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aftermarket stereo - Controls and Amplifier

Views : 1190

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 16:56   #1
JNMann

Default Aftermarket stereo - Controls and Amplifier

Looking at fitting a Blaupunkt Palma 190 to my V70.

Would I still be able to use steering wheel controls and would it utilise the factory fitted amplifier?
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 17:01   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

with the right connector kit, yes

something like this but get the right one for your year

and if you have the amp you'll need the other lead that connects to that round connector like this but just the bit with the phono connectors at the other end, if you've already got the other bit with the first kit

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 17:03   #3
JNMann

Nearly as much as the stereo lol!
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 17:04   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

yeah true, personally if it was me I'd save a bit longer and get a head unit with android auto touchscreen / bluetooth / reversing camera / googlemaps, because otherwise it'll be a lot of work for not much difference

mini project - link
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 17:05   #5
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMann View Post
Looking at fitting a Blaupunkt Palma 190 to my V70.

Would I still be able to use steering wheel controls and would it utilise the factory fitted amplifier?
As a unit , its a very "stock " looking design .So it will blend well. BUT Blaupunkt is now a bit "meh" and trading on its name and making all sorts of electrical goods. For this unit not to have DAB even if that added £25 to the cost is a bit silly in 2021 . I am sure you could buy adaptors to run it via the volvo amp. But in reality , you might be better off buying a new class D amp that will integrate better ??
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 17:07   #6
JNMann

Yes I chose it because it looks more stock.

I would like to go the Android route but read about issues with them not dimming etc?

Also keen for it to look 'right' in the car and not too modern. I like the idea of a touch screen but without all the dials etc.
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 18:03   #7
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Yes I chose it because it looks more stock.

I would like to go the Android route but read about issues with them not dimming etc?

Also keen for it to look 'right' in the car and not too modern. I like the idea of a touch screen but without all the dials etc.
the unit is a Budget unit. wiring kits have always been pricey !
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 19:19   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
issues with them not dimming etc
this is a fair point but it's very easy to put in a switch, that's what I did

I think they are still working on it, i keep seeing in the updates that android auto 'now has day/night mode independant from the phone' whatever that means but as yet they haven't fixed it

the issue is usually the head unit detects headlights being turned on and that's when it dims. but obviously ours are just on all the time

tbh a small switch does the job perfectly and there are a million and one styles to choose from

mini project - link
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 23:15   #9
ajm
Master Member

The Blaupunkt unit is fine - a million times better than a stupid (and I mean, stupid - dangerous even) touchscreen interface.

It's not without its quirks and is not a top notch system like the original unit, but in practice it works perfectly well and more or less completely blends in with the look of the dash. It's a shame to lose the cupholder as nobody seems to have made a surround that will accommodate it, but other than that I have no complaints about mine.

I didn't go to the expense of an interface for the steering wheel controls - to be honest the huge volume knob is easier to use than the wheel mounted buttons and the channel select buttons are also easy to find by touch. I didn't expect to install or use the hands-free aspect of the radio but actually it works fine too and I do use it all the time.
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajm For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 09:12   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

there's no stupid devices, only stupid users ... if you're smart you use voice commands for everything, when you're driving you literally have no need to touch it at all

plus if you don't have reversing beepers, the rear camera is a huge safety plus when reversing out of a driveway etc

literally every car made now has them

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Nov 24th, 2021 at 09:23.