Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P80 Volvo

Views : 3509

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2021, 09:36   #11
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I have a poverty spec V70 but have to admit its days may be numbered, to me it's a comfortable practical load lugger but nothing special, when the repairs become too costly or difficult I'm afraid it will go.
I think Volvo in general have a reputation for being big practical cars but don't have much appeal on the grounds of style and performance, the exception is the Rs and T5s which go so radically against that stereotype and thereby have some appeal.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 10:42   #12
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

That's me. Poverty spec, run the thing into the ground. Buy used parts for nothing, Buy another for tuppence. Unfortunately, the game seems to be up.
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 10:56   #13
4x4
Premier Member

Unfortunately there are not many people who are interested in owning base model cars which doesn't only apply to Volvo. Base models are most likely the first to disappear from the roads as they become older and costly repairs are required, often being broken to keep the top of the range brigade on the road where many parts are interchangeable. I don't recall seeing another non T5/T5R 850 on the road in the 18 months I've owned my 850. I'm happy with my mid-range GLT and have no desire to own a top of the range model, the GLT is fast enough, comfortable enough and I doubt I would ever find a T5 in as good condition

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GLT.jpg (180.8 KB, 75 views)
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 11:23   #14
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I'd say its a combination of fewer of them on the road and members not being as active on the forum. I know others, as I have, find the forum to not be as community minded as it used to be. There are more and more posts making people look stupid for asking questions and less posts actually helping people out.

It's the main reason I don't frequent the forum as often these days.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NI_Volvo_Nut For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 14:37   #15
ld0595

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post

I also wonder, at 32, whether I'm the youngest P80 owner on the forum?
Not quite! I may be the youngest owner on the form at 26 with my 850. I don't really post much about it but may do when I get round to tackling a few jobs in the summer - mainly my dodgy ABS control module which I've had a nightmare trying to remove!
ld0595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 15:16   #16
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Just had a look at howmanyleft.co.uk and there's only 69 S70 T5's on the road. That's all the specs/manual/auto. My spec there's only 20.

I see P80's fairly often when out and about but it is getting less and less. I saw a pink C70 coupe the other day and one of the neighbours down the road frequently has a poverty spec V70 parked outside.

PS I started driving the S70 when I was about 21-22 before it was cool... not sure whether it's become cool now or I may be too old now anyway...

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 15:21   #17
VerdeV70

Glad to see I'm not the only 20 something year old on here with a p80!!! Mine is a 10v V70 Petrol. Not the fastest on the planet but no slouch if driven properly either. Used as a daily and have put about 40,000 miles on it in the last 2 years with the commute to work, road trips and the like. It's ace and I love the 5 cylinder burble.

Whilst it is somewhat "unusual" as someone put it, I've had several people with much newer V70's engage in conversation saying how much they prefer the P80 and I've also had a few looks from people as I have driven past.

I have seen a few S70s on the road and a couple of 850 estates in the last couple of years. Drove past a dealership about 15 months ago and found an 850r plus 3 P80 V70's outside, all in the garage for various things.

As for mine, not sure how much longer it has left in it. It all depends if I can get these issues with the ABS module sorted before it's MOT next summer. I have a fault code that is saying that there is a RAM fault on the module, but even when I replace it with a different module, the same code returns. I think it is possibly a current fault or the actual ECU isn't reading the module. If I can't sort it, it will probably be bye bye and onto something newer. If not, I'll keep it as long as I can as it still keeps pace with modern traffic and is possibly the best thing for a long cruise. It would be a shame to get rid as I believe some examples of these cars, not just the fast ones should remain on the road.

It's a shame because I absolutely love mine as well.

Last edited by VerdeV70; Nov 18th, 2021 at 15:25.
VerdeV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 17:40   #18
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

If you think a 10v is no slouch you need to have a go in a T5 just for the experience.

I wish I was still 20 something lol.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 18:00   #19
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ld0595 View Post
Not quite! I may be the youngest owner on the form at 26 with my 850. I don't really post much about it but may do when I get round to tackling a few jobs in the summer - mainly my dodgy ABS control module which I've had a nightmare trying to remove!
You've beaten me - I thought I was the youngest at 28! (29 come December). I've had my N reg T-5 since I was 21, insurance was NOT kind to me in the early days.

I've missed out on saving a few, but if you see my signature you'll see what I've got at the moment, a good few of these have been rescued from the crusher. I've a few off the road just now, but they'll see the road again, it's just been a slow process with the garage backlog of MoTs - my usual one simply has been booked solid for months.

I'd post more, however I'm usually very busy with work and university, however I'm always welcoming to talk about the cars if it takes anyone's interest.

P80s were some of the peak Volvos for me, styling-wise, driveability, and (relatively) modern whilst being of an age now to be considered on the cusp of classic status.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 20:20   #20
Shinsplintz 101

I'm a self confessed volvo turbo nut. So only T5s and Rs for me, and I've now owned, restored (occasionally broken, reluctantly) and sold on nearly 30 of these magnificent beasts in the past 12 years or so. Trying to keep as many from he knackers yard as possible!

I still run one as a daily, as does my dad and I've another two in the garage undergoing restoration. Safe to say I'm in this for the long haul.

I first drove a nearly new 850 T5 saloon at 19 in 1998 and instantly fell in love with the marque. Even though I've owned and driven many other cars over the intervening decades (including all the big German brands and the later Volvo models ) my passion has always been for the P80 - no bloody idea why - but it persists.

I salute those who keep the less desirable (read as 10 valve/ 2L NA etc..) as there is no glory, no golden ticket or quick buck to be made, but only a grim perseverance in keeping these great cars on the road. Chappau.

I'll never be without a T5 or an R. I'll be buried in one, viking style. No day soon hopefully

Edit: also, I see a fair few in North Hertfordshire. Makes me smile to see so many old swedes still doing the daily grind nearly 25years on when so many of their counterparts have long been resigned to the great scrapyard in the sky.

Last edited by Shinsplintz 101; Nov 18th, 2021 at 20:26.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote