Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1994 940 Radio Replacement, Missing Amplifier??

Views : 1833

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2021, 21:52   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Thanks Dave,

The steering wheel controller project sounds very interesting, must be an ideal candidate for a whole new thread.

I'm sure you will be able to sort the best way to integrate this, and sort the ergonomics.

What are you doing to me..... I don't need any excuses for increasing my stock of tools, but a gas soldering iron for small work, will always come in handy!! Trouble is I always end up spending more and getting more than I need, hey ho...😀

Just sent over the money to Luke for a set of stripped struts, pair of front calipers, and set of arms so I can refurbish them before swopping over, should firm the old barge up even more. Since doing the rear springs & shocks, I don't feel like Captain Pugwash piloting the Black Pig.

Tank seal, mmm eBay tracking has it moving a couple of times, but stuck in one place since 13th, delivery window was 29.11 - 7/12 but will keep in mind your info regarding dispute non delivery.
When I was looking at getting everything for this Brookhouse we're doing online only as 4 staff were off due to covid, I had emailed them a week before and Simon said he was short staffed even then, not heard anything.
Anyway, I think I need to speak to them, as I want to get the crush washers plus spares for the main pump and filter change, so will see if they have the seal also, not listed on their online shop, but I did notice just the other day that there's a note to call regarding anything so perhaps everything in stock is not listed on the website.

Cheers
Steve
THere aren't any crush washers on the main fuel pump, only on the filter Steve and it should have come with 4 new ones (two different sizes so you can't cheat and buy them separately) but have you tried PFV? The Saab 900i of the same era uses the same filter but uses Dowty seals instead of crush washers, i belive they sell those separately but usually the new fuel filters come with them. THink i have a spare in the shed, if so i'll try and remember to have a look and then try to get in there to find and measure them.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 23:28   #22
Steve 940
Premier Member

Thanks Dave,

I opened the Airtex in tank pump box, but didn't check the filter box to see if it came with washers, Doh! anyway I like to have spares, so will get a couple from Brookhouse if they have tank seal and they're open. I'm trying to build up a stock of service items so had bought 3 genuine oil filters and 3 sump washers when I ordered my rear springs.

Slight change of topic, have been looking at oil, had seen on eBay 20 lts Shell Helix 7 10w40 for around £70, but looked on forum and see you didn't seem to rate it that highly. I want to have the 940 as a keeper so would appreciate what you would put in a 940 2.0 Turbo, 1994 with 71k documented miles from DVLA MOT history.
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 23:38   #23
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave,

I opened the Airtex in tank pump box, but didn't check the filter box to see if it came with washers, Doh! anyway I like to have spares, so will get a couple from Brookhouse if they have tank seal and they're open. I'm trying to build up a stock of service items so had bought 3 genuine oil filters and 3 sump washers when I ordered my rear springs.

Slight change of topic, have been looking at oil, had seen on eBay 20 lts Shell Helix 7 10w40 for around £70, but looked on forum and see you didn't seem to rate it that highly. I want to have the 940 as a keeper so would appreciate what you would put in a 940 2.0 Turbo, 1994 with 71k documented miles from DVLA MOT history.
Any decent 10w40 semi synth oil will be fine if you stick to the correct oil change intervals. The Redblock is a very tough basic engine so it's not that fussy. Just use a good quality oil.

Luke uses Shell Helix in all his cars and I've been using it in mine since 2018 with no issues whatsoever. I would only use genuine Volvo oil filters though
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 08:38   #24
Steve 940
Premier Member

Thanks for that Mark, think I'll get the Shell Helix then.

Yes I'd did get genuine Volvo oil filters from Brookhouse a few weeks ago along with magnetic sump plug.

Since getting the car I have noticed the oil light is on for around 1 second on start up, will need to keep an eye on it.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 08:58   #25
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:

Yes I'd did get genuine Volvo oil filters from Brookhouse a few weeks ago along with magnetic sump plug.

Since getting the car I have noticed the oil light is on for around 1 second on start up, will need to keep an eye on it.

Cheers
Steve
The magnetic sump plug can be fun sometimes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 09:12   #26
Steve 940
Premier Member

Mark,

Sounds possibly ominous.... anything that could enlighten me before I drain the sump would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 09:38   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Cheers
Steve
Shell Helix is a good oil for the first 3k miles or so, after that the additives that make it good start breaking down and the base oil isn't always what it should be.

I use Tradetec 10W40 "as was", now rebranded to NAPA 10W40 or Carlube 10W40, both semi-synth.

A new, genuine oil filter should sort the oil pressure on start up.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 10:18   #28
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Mark,

Sounds possibly ominous.... anything that could enlighten me before I drain the sump would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Steve
Nothing wrong with them, it's just a faff when it keeps sticking to the sump when you are trying to re install I keep meaning to switch back to the normal one every time it happens. I've had one for about 3 years and I've never found even a minute spec of anything metal on it
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 10:30   #29
griston64
Premier Member

Don't want to change your radio thread to an oil one but I'd be curious ( as it's what I use ) to know what the difference is between the Shell Helix and say the Carlube

The specs are pretty much the same

Carlube 10w 40 semi API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, MB 229.1, VW 502.00/505.00

Shell Helix 10w 40 semi Specifications: API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; JASO SG+; MB approval 229.3; VW 502 00/505 00; Renault RN0700, RN0710. Meets the requirements of Fiat 955535-G2

There are no mentions of any secific additives in the Shell ?
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 10:47   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Don't want to change your radio thread to an oil one but I'd be curious ( as it's what I use ) to know what the difference is between the Shell Helix and say the Carlube

The specs are pretty much the same

Carlube 10w 40 semi API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, MB 229.1, VW 502.00/505.00

Shell Helix 10w 40 semi Specifications: API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; JASO SG+; MB approval 229.3; VW 502 00/505 00; Renault RN0700, RN0710. Meets the requirements of Fiat 955535-G2

There are no mentions of any secific additives in the Shell ?
That's Shells secret so there wouldn't be and they keep changing the formula, same as they always have with their petrol. Start off with a good product that works for most people and is worth paying for then change it and cause problems - remember Formula Shell from the late 80s? I've noticed they were changing things back then and they still do and have done with V-Power/Nitro or whatever they call it this week. Ditto with Shell Helix, they keep altering the additives, like i say a good oil to start but after about 3k miles and it starts losing it's additives and is just any old base oil then.