Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1994 940 Radio Replacement, Missing Amplifier??

Views : 1768

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 22:12   #11
mister grimsdale

Not sure how helpful this'll be, but a while back I was looking into this with a view to making up an adapter so I could troubleshoot a CR-905 on the bench. (This is the radio from a 1994 940 Wentworth saloon).

I had great difficulty finding the connectors, but eventually found that they're Yazaki items, and I was able to get some from Japan (this was before the recent changes in import duty on small value packages, so might be more expensive now). I bought them through Rakuten Global Market, but the link I have for there seems to be dead now. These are the family of connectors though:

https://www.hi-1000ec.com/product-list/15

They come without pins, so you'd also need a set of those:

https://www.hi-1000ec.com/product-li...&Submit=Search

And they also need a retainer for the pins and that seems to be sold out.

Connections on the printed circuit board are labelled as below, and agree with the pinout for the CR-905 at https://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-ra...-Connector.htm (The more detailed descriptions in the right-hand column are from the info for a Y-adaptor that I bought off eBay):

Connector A:
1. GND Chassis ground (-12V)
2. DIM NC
3. BATT 12 Volt battery/constant (+12V)
4. P.A. Power antenna
5. FL- Left front negative
6. FL+ Left front positive
7. GND NC
8. ACC 12 volt ignition switched (12V+)
9. BATT NC
10. RHEO- NC
11. RHEO+ Dash light illumination
12. TEL NC
13. FR- Right front negative
14. FR+ Right front positive

Connector B:
1. FL+
2. FL-
3. RL+
4. RL-
5. FR+
6. FR-
9. RR+
10. RR-

Hope that's some help.
Phil
mister grimsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mister grimsdale For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 22:55   #12
Steve 940
Premier Member

Mister Grimsdale,

Thank you so much, I think you may be onto the core problem in that I can't seem to get connectors that fit my cars harness, mine is also a '94 Wentworth but an estate. As Dave has posted, the changes in Volvo specs don't help.

It hasn't helped as all the info I had looked at in the couple of weeks before pulling the old head unit had referred to there being a factory amp on mine!!

Anyway, I will indeed check out those links, at least it now gives me hopefully a fighting chance in knowing what I am looking for, hopefully...... 😀

I did take a punt earlier on eBay, and ordered a harness that looked that had connectors that might fit, but we shall see!!!

Don't really want to chop the main harness connectors off to do a hard splice, but if needs must........

Once again many thanks, will post an update once I get it sorted hopefully

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 11:53   #13
mister grimsdale

Hi Steve,

(I don't have enough posts yet to PM, so replying here)

Yes, you are mad (: and so was I, but it was satisfying to be able to lash the thing up in the house, in the warm, running off a power supply from an old PC and without cutting wires in the car.

I reckon you've got the right choices there. The ones I bought were female, and duplicate the connector on the car, but if I understand your requirement correctly you need ones that plug into the car wiring, so 'male' in the terminology this supplier uses. The pins in the male connectors are recessed, and have a flat blade. The retainer for the male connectors seems to be in stock:

https://www.hi-1000ec.com/product/289

On the female connectors that I have, the retainer clips in at the back to stop the pins from being pushed out.

Another thought, though. What does the connector on your replacement radio look like? I have a spare of the Y connectors that I bought, terminated in (IIRC) an ISO socket -- two banks of 4 by 2 pins, keyed at one end, like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connec...nit_in_car.JPG

except that on mine the two blocks are joined together; they could easily be parted though. I'm happy to send you that if it's any use.

Cheers,

Phil
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 11:53   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Hi Dave,

Many thanks, and I really feel guilty in not getting what you’re meaning, it’s really difficult to try to explain, but will try to summarise the issue I have.

Will take on board your points about not using battery, very valid and glad I asked.

You mention using the harness kit from Connects 2 to connect up, my key problem is that it has the 2 ISO blocks for head unit, that’s fine.

The other 2 connector blocks on the harness are identical 14 pin blocks, albeit not all pins used, these simply don’t fit the connectors in the car at all, I’ve tried to re photograph below. They have a step on the side of each block whereas the car doesn’t????

Hope that clarifies what I’m trying to struggle with
Thanks Steve, i see the problem now! Sorry i missed it earlier, hopefully the information from Mr Grimsdale will help. I've just had a search on Dynamic Sounds website (after Autoleads site defaulted to just one specific product for many vehicles) and could only find the same patch lead as you have where the top and bottom rows of the plugs are offset.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 12:57   #15
Steve 940
Premier Member

Many thanks Phil & Dave,

Sorry Phil I should have realised you couldn’t PM me, I had exactly the same issue when I joined a couple of months ago.

I feel a bit of an eijit asking so many questions, although I must say the responses from everyone have been so very helpful. I dare say you’ll soon get your posts up to enable PM in future.

My mad thought soon disappeared when I saw a $30 p&p, can’t really believe I admitted to considering a hodge using hot glue😀

Many thanks for your offer, but don’t think I’ll need those thank you, I have 2 spare ISO connecting blocks from the harness that doesn’t fit, have the one I took a punt on from eBay coming end of the week, so fingers crossed I will be able to get something from all this.

If that all fails, I will just get 2 new pairs of male and female 10 & 14 way connectors from a UK supplier and effectively put new connectors on car harness and head unit leads.

Thank god I have a bit of cable to play with, as I think Dave had one where the car harness had been chopped!!

Anyway, once again thanks to one and all.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 13:21   #16
mister grimsdale

Yes, I thought shipping might have gone up. I paid 635 Yen, so around £4, but I'd have baulked at $30.
Hopefully your eBay one will sort it.
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 13:32   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Many thanks Phil & Dave,

Sorry Phil I should have realised you couldn’t PM me, I had exactly the same issue when I joined a couple of months ago.

I feel a bit of an eijit asking so many questions, although I must say the responses from everyone have been so very helpful. I dare say you’ll soon get your posts up to enable PM in future.

My mad thought soon disappeared when I saw a $30 p&p, can’t really believe I admitted to considering a hodge using hot glue😀

Many thanks for your offer, but don’t think I’ll need those thank you, I have 2 spare ISO connecting blocks from the harness that doesn’t fit, have the one I took a punt on from eBay coming end of the week, so fingers crossed I will be able to get something from all this.

If that all fails, I will just get 2 new pairs of male and female 10 & 14 way connectors from a UK supplier and effectively put new connectors on car harness and head unit leads.

Thank god I have a bit of cable to play with, as I think Dave had one where the car harness had been chopped!!

Anyway, once again thanks to one and all.

Cheers
Steve
You're only an eejit if you DON'T ask those questions Steve! Seriously, if you need to know something, chances are someone else does (or has or will in the future) and you will either get an answer from someone who has or prompt someone to find out and whichever way it is, the answer is here for the future.

If you're going to buy some generic plugs to connect to the Volvo loom and then fit the ISO plugs on the other side, i'd suggest getting the most common types you can. Also count up how many ways you actually need, currently you have 10 and 14 way plugs but not all are used. You should be able to rationalise the car side of things to 8 speaker wires (4 pairs) and probably 5 power connections which will be permanent +ve, switched +ve, earth, lights and aerial (switched on by the head unit) so an 8 and a 6 way connector plug set would work. Often the generic connectors tend to be a bit larger per wire than the bespoke things so this would be a good way of minimising the space used by the connectors.

You're right about mine, the previous owner had indeed chopped the Volvo loom on mine and had used red crimp bullet connectors to fit a £19.99 from Maplin or Halfords Sendai CD/Radio head unit. Very pretty colourful display but useless sound output and quality. Very rapidly changed for a Rover branded Philips head unit and CD changer, Volvo used the same items at one point but obviously Volvo branded but now i have a JVC CD/radio head unit with BT streaming and handsfree phone system built in so i can stream music from my phone while using the sat-nag on the phone and if any calls come in, can answer them handsfree with the microphone tucked up at the top of the A pillar and the car speakers giving the callers audio.
It mutes the music for the sat-nag instructions and also if a call comes in and returns to normal level once the sat-nag/call has finished.

In between whiles i used my gas soldering iron to solder a pair of ISO connectors to the remains of the original loom, heatshrinking the joins in the wires. Something else the previous owner did was run two lengths of bell wire for the front speakers because the originals had come off in the door and dropped down and they're too thin and ultimately will break but for now they work so maybe next summer i'll sort those.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 14:35   #18
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Dave,

Your reassurance regarding my questions is great to hear.

Your moniker should be Genius, and the points about the terminals not used absolutely spot on, and now pointed out, it's clearly obvious I only need 8 way for speaker side, and 6-8mway for the power side, I seem to have mindset of like for like, but with your input this will make it easier, and save space.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the new Blaupunkt has a very shallow depth, as not having CD drive, just SD card and USB, streaming etc, everything is so much smaller, whether I come to regret not having CD's time will tell !!!

Such a tech numpty, I could believe how many CD's you can get on a 16gb stick!! Might be a bit of a nightmare selecting tracks, but I'll have to wait and see.

Whilst I have self installed a full underfloor heating system and associated pipework for everything else at home, I have done quite a bit of plumbing soldering, burn not sure if I feel confident to be waving a gas soldering iron inches away from facia, potential for a puddle of plastic😀

Sounds like you've got a great audio set up on yours now, the £19.99 head unit and bell wire made me chuckle😂

Oh by the way, the Airtex in tank fuel pump and filter sock, and Bosch main pump, arrived in 7 days from Rockauto, fantastic tip and great value.

Just awaiting rubber tank gasket that I'd ordered on eBay from Lithuania, you did pre-warn me, the tracking says is in the Lithuania postal system....

Cheers👍
Steve
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 15:40   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Thank you Steve, it's just something i've got used to looking for over the years.

I learned many years ago (when i was doing my apprenticeship) that the stupidest question is the one that isn't asked! I'm sure you can run through all possible scenarios and see how it works out.

A ball park figure way back when CDs were first being made was a 700MB disc would hold an album. That still holds true so a 16GB stick will hold 20-24 albums roughly. Chances are your head unit is capable of handling 32GB sticks or maybe even more. I have a 128GB card in my phone and it's nowhere near 10% used yet and i have about a dozen albums ripped and copied from CDs onto my phone. Normally i use a music player app and stream it and on that app is a random play function. I normally just use that and skip any i don't want to listen to at the time with the button on the front of the head unit or SWC on the Rover.

I still have the £19.99 head unit which i plan on wiring up in the shed. I also have a BT transmitter that is USB powered (i had these before switching to a BT head unit) and basically you can stream music from the phone via BlueTooth and it then transmits on a chosen FM frequency to the radio so i can take my music into the shed or in either car.

I've mentioned the SWC a couple of times now and i suspect people were thinking it's not relevant to the thread. Well as it happens, it is as i also have a second set of SWC buttons (from a Land Rover but they're the same electrically) that i plan on mounting on the steering column shroud on the Volvo then using this to link it to the head unit in the Volvo :

http://autoleadscp2.com/

It's the same as i used in the Rover so i know will work, it's just the aesthetics and ergonomics i'm working on at the moment!

With a later sterring wheel with integrated buttons and the correct rotary coupler on the steering column i could fully integrate the controls onto the steering wheel but i have another steering wheel coming from a later 960 without buttons. That way i don't need to worry about retrofitting a coupler and the reliability problems associated with them and it won't matter if i later decide i don't like the later wheel.

As for using a gas powered soldering iron, as long as you're careful accidents don't happen. It only heats up to ~200C so is hot enough to melt solder into a pool but not most plastics. It will damage and deform them though so i replace the iron inside the reel of solder which forms a nice base for it when not in use and can be placed out of harms way on the floor.

You would have used a blowtorch or similar for your plumbing so i can see the trepidation but a small, gas-powered iron is a different kettle of fish.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391628372085

That gives you the idea, there are cheaper options around.

With your tank seal, i'd be inclined to check your local Volvo dealer (perhaps Brookhouse Volvo as they're near Ipswich) to see if they have a tank seal, if so wait until the due date for the Lithuanian one then get one from the dealer locally and put in a dispute for non-delivery and get your money back for the Lithuanian one.

If the postie subsequently delivers it then it's yours legally as it didn't arrive on time so has now been refunded/cancelled and the one that has arrived is technically unsolicited.

By law anything sent to you unsolicited is yours to do with what you will, that's how companies get away with sending things out as a "free gift" - a few years back i was sent a smart socket that i've never used but that was sent unsolicited. I'd not ordered it (or even heard of them at the time!) but when i looked into it, a lot of companies were doing that, sometimes to get good reviews on the likes of Amazon, ebay etc, other times just as a "loss-leader" to get their name into peoples home and the subsequent advertising that would bring and presumably other reasons.

Old Nov 16th, 2021, 19:28   #20
Steve 940
Premier Member

Thanks Dave,

The steering wheel controller project sounds very interesting, must be an ideal candidate for a whole new thread.

I'm sure you will be able to sort the best way to integrate this, and sort the ergonomics.

What are you doing to me..... I don't need any excuses for increasing my stock of tools, but a gas soldering iron for small work, will always come in handy!! Trouble is I always end up spending more and getting more than I need, hey ho...😀

Just sent over the money to Luke for a set of stripped struts, pair of front calipers, and set of arms so I can refurbish them before swopping over, should firm the old barge up even more. Since doing the rear springs & shocks, I don't feel like Captain Pugwash piloting the Black Pig.

Tank seal, mmm eBay tracking has it moving a couple of times, but stuck in one place since 13th, delivery window was 29.11 - 7/12 but will keep in mind your info regarding dispute non delivery.
When I was looking at getting everything for this Brookhouse we're doing online only as 4 staff were off due to covid, I had emailed them a week before and Simon said he was short staffed even then, not heard anything.
Anyway, I think I need to speak to them, as I want to get the crush washers plus spares for the main pump and filter change, so will see if they have the seal also, not listed on their online shop, but I did notice just the other day that there's a note to call regarding anything so perhaps everything in stock is not listed on the website.

Cheers
Steve