Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 stalling

Views : 987

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2021, 13:49   #11
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Is the gas tank FRP or steel?
While I used to believe the internal (unserviceable) fuel filters were model year related, it appears the steel petrol tanks all have internal filters.
If you've gotten your head under there you would've seen the fuel filter as Sb implied.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 17:44   #12
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi.
The fact that it is Bi-fuel and you say that side of it is not working could well be the source of the problem.
I suggest you look through that section of the forum to see if there are any pointers.
VOLVOBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 18:07   #13
TomW

I've looked infront of both rear wheels and nothing to be seen.
How far in front of the tyre is it located?
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 18:35   #14
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Less than a foot? Tucked in between the side skirt and the edge of the petrol tank, I added a link in my first reply page one there's a video on the fuel filter you'll see it on there

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 23:13   #15
TomW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Hi.
The fact that it is Bi-fuel and you say that side of it is not working could well be the source of the problem.
I suggest you look through that section of the forum to see if there are any pointers.
I thought as the lpg was turned off and that the car was running on petrol then the problem would be on the petrol side.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 23:16   #16
TomW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
Less than a foot? Tucked in between the side skirt and the edge of the petrol tank, I added a link in my first reply page one there's a video on the fuel filter you'll see it on there
Thanks for drawing my attention to the links again. I couldn't see the fuel filter anywhere. All I can think is that it's positioned out of sight on the bifuel.
I'll look again on the weekend. It's got to be there!
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 21:57   #17
nickbw898

The first point of investigation is always get the codes read, not with a generic OBD code reader by by someone with ViDA & DiCE who will hook the diagnostics up to your car and read the DTC codes. They will not necessarilly tell you exactly what has caused the problem you compain about but they will stop you buying replacement parts and randomly thowing them on in a kill or cure effort. Also, you need to use various Volo enthusiast sites (use their search engine) to pull up posts from others who have experienced the same difficulties and how they solved them (if indeed theydid) I have been doing this for 20 years and still have a lot to learn.
Two such are
www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums

www.volvoxc.com/forums

They have many more models of each in NW USA than here, and on the whole they seem more expert DIY mechanics.
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 04:04   #18
big_yin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Thanks for drawing my attention to the links again. I couldn't see the fuel filter anywhere. All I can think is that it's positioned out of sight on the bifuel.
I'll look again on the weekend. It's got to be there!
Maybe this link helps to locate the filter?

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/ho...el-filter-v70/
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 18:26   #19
TomW

I've still not acted on any of the advice received. But before I do can I just go through some more symptoms.....

LPG doesn't work so all these symptoms are happening while she's switched to run on petrol just like any other petrol V70.

She starts first time from cold or hot but take my foot off the accelerator while putting it into first and stalls. So have to keep my foot on accelerator while putting into first.

Start again putting into first and she hops but keeps going if enough revs.

Changing up the gears normally and she hops / misses, whether engine is warm or cold, on each gear change as the accelerator is pushed down again, and then once under power keeps going. Take my foot off pedal for two seconds to slow down and then back on aaccelererator she hops for a split second then keeps going.

Going up a long hill accelerating all the way in one gear she will keep going as good as any with no problem.

Putting it into neutral to freewheel down hill and she usually cuts out.

Coming out of a roundabout trying to accelerate gently she'll hop.

Arrive home and coming to a standstill again normally and she might tick over or stall before I've switched off ignition. If she ticks over without stalling then she will keep running. If she cuts out and I restart she will keep running.
The hopping I've described is violent hiccup and no way will my wife drive it!

Engine purrs like any V70.

Can anybody pinpoint anything else to look at first.