Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo C70 Mk1 Dash

Views : 908

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2021, 21:53   #1
sinbad

Default Volvo C70 Mk1 Dash

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy an aftermarket dash for a Volvo C70 Mk1. I am not after the dash cover but the panel that attaches to the firewall i.e the part that includes the dash mounts. I recently had someone in the UK scam me on Facebook who claimed they could supply this aftermarket part (as well as a redwood steering wheel). Needless to say they disappeared as soon as they got the money. I suspect that the aftermarket part does not exist but thought it was work asking.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 22:40   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

I'm not aware of an aftermarket dash and doubt anyone would go to the trouble to make one - apart from a one off bespoke. I think I saw your post on Facebook regarding the wooden steering wheel and sorry you have been scammed. Appalling behaviour among what should be an honest community of fellow enthusiasts.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 02:15   #3
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Can't imagine why anyone would make a pattern variant of these, licence to go bust.

I'm guessing the heat gets 'em in your neck of the woods. After an interior swap, I've just thrown one out. Even here the plastics are getting old and brittle. Cream leather goes hearing-aid coffee-beige. An interior swap is something you don't touch, until a (warm for us) summer day.

Assume it's a fit. I've got a mint grey leather V70 dash-top you might like. £60. You deal with freight. Freight to Brisbane will be straight daft, and your customs will hold it for weeks, but then I'm sure you know all that.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 11th, 2021 at 02:21.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 08:10   #4
sinbad

Yes Australian heat and Volvo plastic is not a good mix. Problems occur with the fake wood trim especially center console and the delamination of the inside door panels. I changed over the original red walnut to the redwood from the facelift model and replace the drivers side door card (got one from US where it is passenger side and so had not much wear). My dash cover is fine but there is cracking on the cover area of the dash next to windscreen (area that holds alarm light). The dash mounds are fine and I might see if I can get someone to repair the cracks in situ. Just now need to find a redwood steering wheel from someone honest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interior 01.jpg (175.6 KB, 12 views)
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 10:26   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Trouble with this sort of thing is freight. A complete dash to you, must cost £200-300 to move it? If it's large or heavy, you finish paying more for freight / courioer admin/ duty etc than the item price.
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 21:18   #6
sinbad

Yes I know airfreight has gone through the roof. I have started looking at sea freight costs. Any idea of weight of dash?
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 00:01   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

No idea, but it's a lump of plastic, won't be 10KG. But now you concern me, why would you be worried about weight of the dash anyway? Are you thinking here?

Airfreight will be about the carton-size. That'll be what shafts you. How big will it need to be to move a brittle lump of plastic? This isn't StarTrek. Out of interest what multiple of the purchase price are you expecting to pay to move a dash from anywhere in Europe to Aussie?

Only I'm used to brain-dead 'wet-behind-the-ears' Yanks on eBay expecting delivery for similar items for £120 and when quotes come in at nearer £300, think I'm trying the rip-off, whereas at £120 it's them!

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 18th, 2021 at 00:10.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 22:06   #8
sinbad

Yes freight is a killer. I was hoping for around Sterling 500 for item plus freight. Dash needs to have no cracks and all mounts unbroken. Trouble with Australian heat and state of our roads is that it is impossible to source one here in good condition.
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 08:30   #9
sinbad

That last response should read:

Yes freight is a killer. I was hoping for around Sterling 500 for item INCLUDING freight. Dash needs to have no cracks and all mounts unbroken. Trouble with Australian heat and state of our roads is that it is impossible to source one here in good condition
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 12:18   #10
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Sinbad,

Do you currently have your top dash off and are you able to send photos of the broken part that you are talking about?

If think someone (maybe Robert DIY) has done a write up on this. I think he used metal tabs to replace/strengthen the broken plastic.

If you cannot attach photos, let me know and I will send you my email and upload for you.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote