Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant Loss Woes

Views : 2183

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2021, 16:48   #41
kiloran

Oh dear, not ideal. Not a big job once the head is back, wonder what's holding them up.
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 17:05   #42
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Still no car! It went in last Wednesday night/Thursday morning, they sent the head off on Friday, they got the head back on Tuesday, they said maybe Weds and then maybe Thurs but I've heard nothing today.
At that rate you should charge them for your lost wages over and above what you were prepared to lose to have the job done!

An extra day is sometimes acceptable but to give you the mushroom treatment and keep you in the dark isn't on.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 17:21   #43
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

As it happens I can't work anyway.

I've got very ill this week with something that started a couple of months back intermittently. I learned this week that when you have a very stressful job/life the adrenaline keeps the immune system fired up and when you finally relax and the adrenaline subsides then so does the immune system. Its done me a favour maybe as we are going on holiday at xmas, better to have found out now that something is wrong and started all the tests and treatment than found myself ill when we go away at xmas!

Edited to say that I could have done with the car tonight though, I've got my Covid booster jab and I've got to go on bloomin trains, too dark to walk along the river I think.

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL

Last edited by Laney760; Nov 25th, 2021 at 17:30.
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 20:28   #44
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sorry to hear you're poorly Ellie, hopefully it's nothing serious and just that as you say, you've caught something simpe as a result of winding down a bit and the adrenaline slowing down.

I don't suppose you could claim sick pay retrospectively to help your wages out a bit?

Either way, hopefully your car will be back with you soon though and you will join it in a return to full health!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 23:41   #45
Laney760
VOC Member

Car is back! Got a phone call this evening. Apparently the local engineers where the head was dropped off at closed due to Covid and my garage had to collect the unskimmed head and take it to another engineers at Bracknell. I can well believe that as I have had a Dr's apptmt cancelled on me this week due to Covid at our surgery, local rates are high at the moment, 2% of the population in South Oxon.

My total bill, for the fitting of the new header tank and pipe, fitting of an exhaust bracket, welding a hole for me in an otherwise sound section of exhaust, supply and fit of new waterpump, new head gasket and cylinder head skim plus a new cylinder head bolt set (originals seized which took some time to remove they said), new exhaust manifold gasket and rocker cover gasket, and new oil and filter (they said it gets contaminated in this job) is £794.91.

All parts supplied by my garage except for the header tank and pipe and the exhaust bracket which I supplied.

Seems reasonable to me.

Labour £455.00, Parts £207.43, VAT £132.48

Edit, it was a coolant to outside leak as thought. I don't think this will have affected my compression much? Therefore I won't have lost or recover many horses from this? Only a 2 mile home journey so no real idea yet of any increase in power. Some of my horses have bolted elsewhere perhaps?

Edit again, cheers by the way Dave, but like most companies we only get SSP which is something stupid like £11 a day and not paid for the first 4 days. Not many companies pay full sick pay these days, mostly because people take the mick with sick leave.

Last edited by Laney760; Nov 26th, 2021 at 00:00.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 09:19   #46
Laney760
VOC Member

I emailed my garage this morning to say there is a small issue, no idea why? My steering rack isn't great, hasn't been for years but I only occasionally get that rubbing sort of thing going on but since I collected the car last night there is so much of the rubbing. Garage said it maybe because its cold now and I am noticing it more but I don't get all this rubbing in other winters. I will have to see how it goes?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 09:20   #47
kiloran

I doubt an outward leak will have caused any lost horses, this is purely based on a sample size of one as I hammered back from the depths of rural Surrey to the New Forest on a really hot day with similar. But then mine's only a 2l NA, and I have zero knowledge of the turbos.
Feels like a good price for the work, particularly considering where you're based. I usually get a good deal from my garage too because the old boy likes working on old cars. He's also happy for me to supply parts etc.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 09:24   #48
kiloran

Re the power steering they'll have had all the drive belts off so I'm wondering if it's at a different tension to what you're used to? Mine is a little more noisy on full lock but I'm on brand new belts which are settling in (less than 400 miles) and probably need re-tensioning.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 10:24   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
I emailed my garage this morning to say there is a small issue, no idea why? My steering rack isn't great, hasn't been for years but I only occasionally get that rubbing sort of thing going on but since I collected the car last night there is so much of the rubbing. Garage said it maybe because its cold now and I am noticing it more but I don't get all this rubbing in other winters. I will have to see how it goes?
Good to hear you've got the car back Ellie - the steering problem sounds like it may be the lower universal joint in the column, very close to the turbo. The stiffen up because the lubricant dries out through heat from the turbo, many people have had good results by lubricating them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 13:03   #50
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Good to hear you've got the car back Ellie - the steering problem sounds like it may be the lower universal joint in the column, very close to the turbo. The stiffen up because the lubricant dries out through heat from the turbo, many people have had good results by lubricating them.
Is definitely the rack. It has been diagnosed by the Volvo indi and 3 other garages. Its not rubbing but its the nearest I can describe it, I can't find the right word!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post: