Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

[SOLVED] 2006 XC70 D5 185 Fault codes and power loss

Views : 1331

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2021, 10:25   #1
matmatmat
VOC Member

Default [SOLVED] 2006 XC70 D5 185 Fault codes and power loss

Hi all,

I recently picked up a 2006 XC70 D5 (manual 185hp facelift version) and wanted to get a couple of opinions on some issues. I've been doing some digging and lurking on this forum has been invaluable so far, thanks so much!

I went from a '92 940 to a 2019 V60 and now back to an XC70 so my sense of how it should be running is a little skewed (plus, the only other manuals I've been using for the last 5 years are motorbikes so the difference between an 11,500rpm redline and 4,500 took some getting used to for the first few miles ).

For background, the car has 166k miles on it and a fairly extensive collection of service receipts going back to 2011. Unfortunately, the last owner had it for two years and remarked how he liked it because he hadn't had to do anything to it and it still ran 'fine' - turns out, that included any servicing. Was cheap though!

The issues I'm having are all fairly common by the sounds of it - very rough start and lumpy idle on cold start (but sounds steady and fine as soon as it warms up a little). Also, drop in power either past 2,500rpm in second gear pulling off traffic lights, or on the motorway if I need to slow before overtaking on a hill etc (the drive from Leeds to Peterborough on the A1 the other day wasn't too fun!). It would just end up having to drop a few gears and hold at around 55mph until the road flattens out then has no issue pulling back up to 70+.

'Engine Service Required' light is on permanently, and an OBD scanner picks up 0101 and 0299. It also picked up 2015 but that seems to have gone since I had a service done.

After reading here about the usual fixes I started to take a look at some of the easier to access components and found that there was no swirl flap arm to be seen but also the MAF sensor appears to be different from most I've seen on YouTube etc. It was the type with no security screws to remove the sensor from the housing and labeled part no. 0281006184. Googling brought up results for the later model XC90.

Looking at the service history, there is a receipt from 2014 for a whole new swirl flap / throttle wire (part no. 30777650) along with a note saying the arm was missing. New turbo seals in 2016 and a new intercooler pipe in 2018 (part no. 30794888). Weirdly, no receipt for that MAF.

So my plan is - replace the swirl flap arm and clean out the (presumably) gunky EGR pipework. My questions would be:

- Any advice on that MAF? I haven't tried to clean it yet but can anyone foresee an issue with that part number being different from the other style I've seen on these engines? I'm happy to replace but obviously only if needed.

- Given the symptoms, fault codes, and service history, does anyone with more experience think that points to any other issues?

I'm not asking for a full diagnosis here, but would be interesting to hear any thoughts on something I might have missed. I'm actually getting a DICE & VIDA next week so any suggestions would be fantastic.

Other than that, the P2 XC70s have always been on my bucket list and probably my favourite (aesthetically at least) 'modern' Volvos along with the 480. So I'm keen to put up with whatever it throws at me, perhaps to a fault (pun intended).

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Nov 24th, 2021 at 18:07. Reason: prefix solved
matmatmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2021, 14:12   #2
Tjoffroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatmat View Post
Hi all,

I recently picked up a 2006 XC70 D5 (manual 185hp facelift version) and wanted to get a couple of opinions on some issues. I've been doing some digging and lurking on this forum has been invaluable so far, thanks so much!

I went from a '92 940 to a 2019 V60 and now back to an XC70 so my sense of how it should be running is a little skewed (plus, the only other manuals I've been using for the last 5 years are motorbikes so the difference between an 11,500rpm redline and 4,500 took some getting used to for the first few miles ).

For background, the car has 166k miles on it and a fairly extensive collection of service receipts going back to 2011. Unfortunately, the last owner had it for two years and remarked how he liked it because he hadn't had to do anything to it and it still ran 'fine' - turns out, that included any servicing. Was cheap though!

The issues I'm having are all fairly common by the sounds of it - very rough start and lumpy idle on cold start (but sounds steady and fine as soon as it warms up a little). Also, drop in power either past 2,500rpm in second gear pulling off traffic lights, or on the motorway if I need to slow before overtaking on a hill etc (the drive from Leeds to Peterborough on the A1 the other day wasn't too fun!). It would just end up having to drop a few gears and hold at around 55mph until the road flattens out then has no issue pulling back up to 70+.

'Engine Service Required' light is on permanently, and an OBD scanner picks up 0101 and 0299. It also picked up 2015 but that seems to have gone since I had a service done.

After reading here about the usual fixes I started to take a look at some of the easier to access components and found that there was no swirl flap arm to be seen but also the MAF sensor appears to be different from most I've seen on YouTube etc. It was the type with no security screws to remove the sensor from the housing and labeled part no. 0281006184. Googling brought up results for the later model XC90.

Looking at the service history, there is a receipt from 2014 for a whole new swirl flap / throttle wire (part no. 30777650) along with a note saying the arm was missing. New turbo seals in 2016 and a new intercooler pipe in 2018 (part no. 30794888). Weirdly, no receipt for that MAF.

So my plan is - replace the swirl flap arm and clean out the (presumably) gunky EGR pipework. My questions would be:

- Any advice on that MAF? I haven't tried to clean it yet but can anyone foresee an issue with that part number being different from the other style I've seen on these engines? I'm happy to replace but obviously only if needed.

- Given the symptoms, fault codes, and service history, does anyone with more experience think that points to any other issues?

I'm not asking for a full diagnosis here, but would be interesting to hear any thoughts on something I might have missed. I'm actually getting a DICE & VIDA next week so any suggestions would be fantastic.

Other than that, the P2 XC70s have always been on my bucket list and probably my favourite (aesthetically at least) 'modern' Volvos along with the 480. So I'm keen to put up with whatever it throws at me, perhaps to a fault (pun intended).
we seem to have the same car, 2006 xc70 d5 185 with 166k miles when bought last december, on 170k now and i had the same missing swirl flap arm. Fixing that sorted the power problem and the worst of the idling issue, plus it drove smoother. Im not sure on MAF (not looked into it myself). Ive looked into getting vida dice but it was a bit confusing with the different setups available to buy and all at different prices, curious which you got. I still get a mildly lumpy idle on a cold start that goes after a few seconds.

something for you to consider.. any diesel i get over 100k miles gets a carbon clean, Ive done it to 4 high mile diesels and each time yielded a much smoother and newer feeling car. Best difference was on my 06 bmw 330d 155k, it gained more performance from the clean than it did a stage 1 map. Some people on this here interwebs say it can damage your engine, i can see the logic, but i think the risk reward scale tips me towards getting it done every time. I think they mix hydrogen into the air intake which makes things burn hotterand that clears carbon buildup, suppose it might give the intercooler pipes a bit of a clean? i dunno. Looking to get it done to the volvo soon, i have faith in a good result followed by a stage 1 map

2006 xc70 d5 manual

Last edited by Tjoffroader; Nov 10th, 2021 at 14:17.
Tjoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tjoffroader For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 09:58   #3
matmatmat
VOC Member

Thanks Tjoffroader, the guy I bought it from commuted between York and Sheffield, so you could have well passed each other in Doncaster at some point too!

Great to hear the results of the swirl flap arm. Mine's in the post and hopefully arriving today. I'm going to take it one step at a time so one's that's in I'll look more into the MAF and and cleaning out the ERG.

I actually hadn't heard about the carbon cleaning but that sounds interesting. Read a lot of conflicting opinions but will check it out further. It'd be good to hear if anyone else has an experience with it on a D5. I had considered a DPF clean as wel. As it stands there's no cause for alarm but just like the rest of the engine, with 160k over 15 years I can imagine most parts would benefit from some form of cleaning.

I've also got some new horns on the way so will be having the bumper off to fit them and will take a look at the intercooler as well. No visible signs of failure but can't hurt to check further. I might even be able to diagnose my lack of rear windscreen washer fluid!

I got the DICE/VIDA from a forum member here, cheshired5. Should hopefully have the DICE through next week but got VIDA all setup on a spare laptop. It's been a huge help so far though just having that database of parts and repair guidance.

If you do end up having the carbon clean, it'd be great to hear the results!
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 14:27   #4
Millie20

I don't have a lot to add here, but as we're having an 06 xc70 d5 party, I wanted to join. Mine, also recently acquired, just ticked over 202k mi.

I can attest to a massive difference from functioning swirl flaps. I also have an 06 V70 d5 (oddly 166k mi), with an oil leak at the swirl arm. The difference in power between the two is shocking. Obviously might not be the difference, but has made me move the swirl repair on the V a higher priority.

From the V, I also noticed a measurable difference from cleaning out the egr pipe (couldn't be asked to do the mixer).

I can't comment on your MAF, but know that cleaning can help.

Getting your VIDA scan done to see what volvo codes pop up might provide further ease in diagnoses. Just a word of caution, do not treat VIDA as the Holy grail. Each of my Volvos have gremlin codes that pop up and disappear without cause.

Keep us updated on your progress.
Millie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millie20 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 17:15   #5
matmatmat
VOC Member

The more the merrier - great to hear your experience as well.

As a quick update, I've hit a hurdle, mainly down to my lack of due diligence:

I ordered the replacement swirl flap arm and service kit (31293291) from volvoparts.tmsmotorgroup.co.uk* - out of the two available arms, got the one based on my serial number (8692676).

What I didn't check was the part number used by a previous owner to replace the swirl flap assembly, 30777650, which is the re-design version with the ball joint on the butterfly, rather than the original with the ball joint on the arm.

So with no way to attach the replacement arm I bought (it's ball joint to ball joint at the butterfly end) I'm back to waiting. I've ordered the correct arm but there's no stock until the end of the month.

With all the issues these arms have anyway, I'm looking at going a different route with the RC car suspension arm you can see in this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3arEvY0_QU

*great service by the way, got a few bits from them now
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 17:26   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

point to note on that front, there's rose joints and there's rose joints..

I've got them on my clodbuster and trust me if you cheap out they jam up quick and easy.. they even feel cheap and sh1t when you twiddle them in your hand. a lot of 'upgrade' RC parts are very cheap.. to be fair they're not under a lot of strain, and you only use them once in a while not a hundred times every day

personally I'd spend a few quid on decent rose joints. then you just need a bit of stud and if you wanna go really posh get some tubing to go over the stud and make it look nice

for example

2 x rose joints

1 x m3 stud

1 x outer tubing 4 or 5mm OD ?

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Nov 11th, 2021 at 17:36.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 17:36   #7
matmatmat
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
point to note on that front, there's rose joints and there's rose joints..

I've got them on my clodbuster and trust me if you cheap out they jam up quick and easy.. they even feel cheap and sh1t when you twiddle them in your hand. a lot of 'upgrade' RC parts are very cheap.. to be fair they're not under a lot of strain, and you only use them once in a while not a hundred times every day

personally I'd spend a few quid on decent rose joints. then you just need a bit of stud and if you wanna go really posh get some tubing to go over the stud and make it look nice
That's great advice, thanks. I've ordered those Reely parts from Conrad as they were pretty cheap and should be here in a few days. I'll give them a spin (pun intended) before installing and check out the quality. Rose joints not being something I've looked into before, a quick search shows they're plentiful online so will do some digging for reputable options along with threaded rod.

I'll update back here with results and probably make a new thread if I go the custom route with part numbers etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to matmatmat For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 17:38   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

ah well fingers crossed you get a decent linkage and all will be fine

if so share the link im sure others will appreciate

i just meant don't buy a bag of 10 for £5 and expect them to be ok.. like I did lol to be fair i think I got 4 or 5 half decent ones and even those need replacing. I was just messing about with seperating the front and rear steering with seperate servos so it was all a bit adhoc to start with anyway

do it once, do it well and all that

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Nov 11th, 2021 at 17:42.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 12:45   #9
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatmat View Post
Hi all,

I haven't bothered to trawl through the replies to your query but a MAF sensor going south is quite noticeable (flat spots on acceleration) and easy to fix.
Old Nov 12th, 2021, 13:54   #10
matmatmat
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
I haven't bothered to trawl through the replies to your query but a MAF sensor going south is quite noticeable (flat spots on acceleration) and easy to fix.
Yeah, this is definitely one of the symptoms. First noticed it off the lights - 1st, no issue but the 2nd, all power seemed to drop off past 2,500rpm. Same on the motorway, if I need to give it some beans up hill. More prominent with a heavier foot as a casual acceleration seems to hold the power.

With the fault codes for swirl flaps, MAF and turbo, I'm looking at them one by one (cheapest first...).

DICE arrived today so hopefully have a bit more digging to do while I wait for the swirl flap arm parts.