Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Compression Tester Kit

Views : 1231

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2021, 07:44   #11
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry View Post
Thanks for the replies. I want to test to see if I have any issues with worn piston rings, leaking valves, head gasket etc. as I am getting smoke through dip stick after recently servicing the PCV system (twice). But it dose pass the glove test!

I found this Gunson 4101 tester for £20 in cpc.farnell which should fit with the 14mm thred on the hose.
https://cpc.farnell.com/gunson/4101/...ter/dp/CP01082
That looks identical to mine
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 21:38   #12
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

For this job, a gauge is a gauge is a gauge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
..... I can't think of a scenario where I'd need to know the actual value to high level of precision. The ebay kit appears to have a lot of adaptors and extensions so should be useful for one off tests on other cars too.
Exactly that, what is the point to the question?

These things consist of a valve and a pressure gauge of varying quality. Nothing more. Unlikely, but let us suppose yours is wildly inaccurate? So what?

What you'd be looking for is one pot down on the others, at least one will remain decent. Take that as your high-point, and if the others don't come in at near the same, those would be where to look. If the gauge is accurate that's nice, but seeing as there's no simple way to check/calibrate, why worry?

Just look after the one gauge and use that same gauge, at 50,000 and at 250,000, and anytime you've bunged in a new set of rings - all knowing it can't be far out and if it is....? You're looking for relative pot-to-pot pressures anyway.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 6th, 2021 at 21:45.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 10:01   #13
richmac

Hi Derry,

Looking through your PCV post, would I be right in saying that your PCV system was fine until you changed it? If so, I would re-visit that before looking for other problems.

BR,

Rich.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richmac For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 07:15   #14
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Reading the PCV thread on this engine, can't see how it's possible to get a PCV that far wrong. A compression test is quick, cheap and easy to do. Needs doing anyway. If one or tow pots are down RMS etc is next. Best find out what is happening now.

At the price of these gauges, which would we want:

1) A cheap gauge with accuracy wildly out of spec which indicates an engine with all pots even.

2) A top quality gauge which shows not one of the OP's five cylinders is anywhere near the next. But calibrated to an inch of its life?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 8th, 2021 at 07:18.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 19:56   #15
Derry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Reading the PCV thread on this engine, can't see how it's possible to get a PCV that far wrong. A compression test is quick, cheap and easy to do. Needs doing anyway. If one or tow pots are down RMS etc is next. Best find out what is happening now.

At the price of these gauges, which would we want:

1) A cheap gauge with accuracy wildly out of spec which indicates an engine with all pots even.

2) A top quality gauge which shows not one of the OP's five cylinders is anywhere near the next. But calibrated to an inch of its life?

Yes I agree I cant see what could have gone wrong, its a simple system, if anything its an improvement with the larger diameter hose. Just waiting to borrow one from an experienced DIYer, not sure which brand it is.
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 18:35   #16
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Yes, let us suppose you HAD fouled it up which is doubtful, you'd have spotted it by now, and not repeated this.

Brand? I know you're from Derry, and that sort of thing is an obsession, I married a Newry girl thus I do know... but I swear this stuff all comes from the same factory, and a Chinese bloke somewhere sprays them red, orange, blue or black depending on the whims as to which Machine-Mart/Draper/Gunson/Clarke/Sealey/Harbor Freight/Halfrods/Jegs or SGS etc sticker we insist on? Am I just too cynical? It works though - for some of us - this thread is about swallowing it whole.

And anyone that does their own PCV including yours truly, isn't going to pay the £3-400 for a proper proper Sykes Pickavant / Snap-on/ Mac Tools etc gauge anyway? And there is no in-between, so why ask?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 9th, 2021 at 18:53.
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 12:51   #17
Derry

Default The results..

Did the compression test last night (Gunson). I got maximum 12 bar / 180 psi consistently on all 5 Cylinders. Haynes says it should be between 13 – 15. With teaspoon of oil they all went to max 14 bar / 200 psi.

Dry or wet it takes about 8 strokes for them to reach max bar.

I suppose the good thing is there was no difference between cylinders and at the moment car runs fine with no issues, not sure if there’s anything I need to do going by the readings. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 14:50   #18
volvo again
Master Member

As the engine gets older it will lose compression slightly due to wear of the pistons, rings, bores etc
The main thing it that all cylinders are showing a similar psi, this would indicate that the wear is consistant on all cylinders, a drop in compression on one or more cylinders would indicate a problem, as you know...
In your case I would be quite happy with the figures you got, if she's running well with no overheating etc all sounds good.
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 15:45   #19
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I'm pretty sure you're fine. By 8 x revs you should see max. Those would be poor for an N/A car, you should see 220ish. We assume turbo, fact is, they're even, and don't improve much with oil, another good sign. My N/A car will see 250psi cold, with oil.
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 18:58   #20
Derry

This one is a 10v 2.0 N/A engine CNGBiFuel.

Just quoting Haynes '...compression should build up quickly in a healthy engine, low compression on the first stroke followed by gradually increasing pressure on successive strokes indicates worn piston rings.' then it says if it improves with adding oil it indicates bore or piston wear.

Just out of interest is it a major job in fixing/replacing the bores or pistons, and would I need special tools for the job. How about the cost.