Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remapping high mileage D5?

Views : 1380

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2021, 23:01   #1
TimS996

Default Remapping high mileage D5?

Have a 2007 C70 2.4 D5 Geartronic that I’ve had a few months and it’s been reasonably well serviced by previous owners. it’s just rolled over 100k. Very happy with it generally but wondering if a remap is possible to remove the 2-3 second lag it has when pulling away from junctions?

Obviously that’s without flooring the throttle. I’ve previously remapped VAG diesels with similar problems, but not on an engine with such high mileage.

Otherwise more than happy with the performance and planning on keeping the car so I’m happy to invest the money. I’d like to remove some of the hesitancy, not after more power necessarily. Any advice welcome.
TimS996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 23:07   #2
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS996 View Post
Have a 2007 C70 2.4 D5 Geartronic that I’ve had a few months and it’s been reasonably well serviced by previous owners. it’s just rolled over 100k. Very happy with it generally but wondering if a remap is possible to remove the 2-3 second lag it has when pulling away from junctions?

Obviously that’s without flooring the throttle. I’ve previously remapped VAG diesels with similar problems, but not on an engine with such high mileage.

Otherwise more than happy with the performance and planning on keeping the car so I’m happy to invest the money. I’d like to remove some of the hesitancy, not after more power necessarily. Any advice welcome.

I did the same with my last v70 d5 .Engine and Turbo fine . Stage ONE . made a lovely difference . It was done by a VW tuner who ive used a lot and he knows everyone in the business .So found a map and then tweaked it a bit on the rollers
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 23:44   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

the lag is caused by the torque converter. remapping wont solve this problem the gearbox doesn't lock up till it gets to 3rd gear its designed to make take up smooth and seamless and the c70 is a heavy car which wont help either
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 06:45   #4
Rich850R
Master Member

When I read high mileage I didn’t expect it to be 100k, that’s just ran in

My wife has a D5 SE LUX C70 Auto, has to be one of the worst cars for fuel ever, that said it’s mostly town work she does. The XC90 is better on fuel! Even compared to a 350bhp 850R it’s not much better

I detest the thing I really do, bang average build quality and the seats are terrible.
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich850R For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 10:40   #5
Sotosound
Premier Member

Beware of remapping a C70 D5.

I've heard that they are slightly detuned already, with reduced torque compared to, say, an equivalent V70 (258 lbs/ft versus 295 lbs/ft).

With this in mind, a remapping might over-stress the drivetrain.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 10:43   #6
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Beware of remapping a C70 D5.

I've heard that they are slightly detuned already, with reduced torque compared to, say, an equivalent V70 (258 lbs/ft versus 295 lbs/ft).

With this in mind, a remapping might over-stress the drivetrain.
Agree ... dont go more than 25bhp . The V70 D5 I had went to 220 BHP and it never caused any clutch issues etc .Just drove "nicer"
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 12:50   #7
TimS996

Thanks I'm not sure with the remap that I'd get the pick-up I'm looking for with the torque converter system.
TBH 100k for a Volvo engine seems run -in but most VAG diesels are scrap by then in my experience.
TimS996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 13:53   #8
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Thanks I'm not sure with the remap that I'd get the pick-up I'm looking for with the torque converter system.
TBH 100k for a Volvo engine seems run -in but most VAG diesels are scrap by then in my experience.
NO way ! I had a TDI golf 10 years ago re mapped by "Rtech" and the car was perfect . It sold in 2 hours with 150k on the clock .The guy and his friend came straight over the moment it was listed . They loved the car and said it drove better than any of their friends .Thats down to making sure the car is well looked after .I did filters and oils every 6k
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 14:05   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

Engine age will not make any difference on a volvo engine unless it has been neglected .. 100,000 + miles bore and crankshaft , valves etc measurements will still be in tolerance as new .
Old Nov 2nd, 2021, 17:25   #10
eagle58

I did my 2008 C70 D5 Geartronic and I do think it's worth it as it pulls like a train.

Nevertheless, the pick up from a standing start is poor and the remap hasn't helped that at all.

I love the car but that is the one thing I would fix if I could.
eagle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eagle58 For This Useful Post: