Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition switch - where to buy?

Views : 769

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2021, 14:49   #1
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Default Ignition switch - where to buy?

Car is 1997 V70 T5

OK, I have the well-known faulty ignition switch problem, where intermittently it won't power up all the car's circuits with the ignition on, a slight turn or wiggle of the key and it all comes on OK. I think it's now time to fix this properly as it's gradually getting worse.

I know this is caused by wear in the electrical part of the ignition switch, and I understand it's not a hard job. So my question is, where's the best place to get one, apart from Volvo themselves of course? It seems that PFV don't stock them, any body here bought a good value one elsewhere?

Cheers!
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 15:55   #2
volvo again
Master Member

Any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283809443...10609144404%26

...or a few used on ebay, are they still available from main dealers ?
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 17:02   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
Any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283809443...10609144404%26

...or a few used on ebay, are they still available from main dealers ?
Yeah, that's a definite possibility, however it says it's for an S90, how do I know it'll fit my car? It's PN 9447803.

Edit: OK, done some more looking, and PN 9447803 is the right one for 850, and 9447804 for V70 up to MY2000. However, mine's an early V70, so will it be the 03 number or the 04 number? Any ideas? Does it have the PN written on it anywhere, because if it does I might well take the old one out and have a look, to be sure. Thanks!

Cheers!

Last edited by Luxobarge; Oct 29th, 2021 at 17:15.
Luxobarge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 17:47   #4
volvo again
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Yeah, that's a definite possibility, however it says it's for an S90, how do I know it'll fit my car? It's PN 9447803.

Edit: OK, done some more looking, and PN 9447803 is the right one for 850, and 9447804 for V70 up to MY2000. However, mine's an early V70, so will it be the 03 number or the 04 number? Any ideas? Does it have the PN written on it anywhere, because if it does I might well take the old one out and have a look, to be sure. Thanks!

Cheers!
Part number will be on your switch, I did notice that 9447804 seems to be for later models, make sure it has the same number of pins as yours, may be worth taking yours off to check though.
I got one for my old 1994 850T5 from PartsMonster on ebay, but that was 10 yrs ago...
Old Oct 31st, 2021, 10:48   #5
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Luxo

If you set up a Skandix account, you can then add a car by VIN then search for parts for it
Might work.

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...witch/1014468/

But pretty easy to look at your existing switch.

HTH
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 16:48   #6
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Aaarrgghhh! Disaster! So this afternoon I took the steering column shrouds off so I could get at the electrical part of the ignition switch to find the right part number. In the process, not knowing quite how it all came apart I took the cover off the round plug that goes onto the electrical connectors - and the individual wires all came out, and now I'm not sure which holes in the plug they go back into. To make matters worse, there are 8 wires and 9 holes, so I don't even know which hole is supposed to be empty. I tried putting them back where they appeared to "want" to sit, and when I turned the ignition on all seemed to be OK until I cranked the engine - it cranks, but wouldn't start. I tried another combination but that didn't work either.

Fortunately I have a complete set of wiring diagrams for the car, and it has a picture of the ignition switch with an indication of which colour wire goes where, so when I get a bit more time I should be able to assemble it correctly. I just hope I haven't blown a fuse or damaged something in the mean time! What a silly boy......

The good news is that I eventually got a part number off the switch, which was 6849772 - looking at some suppliers this appears to correspond to the 9447804 number, and the picture of the switch on the Skandix site confirms that it has 9 pins, like the original on my car. The 9447803 part appears to have 8 pins, so I'm now pretty confident I have the right part number to order one.

Wish me luck getting the ignition switch back together with the wires in the right place eh?

Cheers!
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 18:52   #7
Luxobarge
Premier Member

OK, got a few more minutes this evening, printed out the relevant page of the wiring diagram and took it out to the car, and found that I'd got all the wires in the right place except one, which was in the hole that is supposed to be empty. So I moved it and hey presto, the car starts and runs fine just as it should. Thank goodness for wiring diagrams eh? Interestingly there are just two issues with the diagram of the ignition switch, one is that the diagram is drawn from the perspective of the front of the plug, so as you're looking at the back of the plug (where the coloured wires are) the drawing is effectively back-to-front. Easy enough once you've worked that out. The other issue is that all the wires matched in colour to those shown on the diagram except one, where the diagram showed a Green/Red wire, and on my car it's Yellow/White. However, as this was the only discrepancy it was pretty obvious where it should go, and so it proved.

So after a stressful afternoon I've achieved what I wanted to know, which is the right part number for the electrical part of the ignition switch! I shall now try and order that, at least fitting it will be a doddle after all this faffing around.

Cheers all
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 19:05   #8
volvo again
Master Member

[QUOTE at least fitting it will be a doddle after all this faffing around.

Cheers all [/QUOTE]

...famous last words...
Well done on sorting the wiring out, good job you had the diagram
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 13:28   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

OK, so here's an update, and a very good lesson learned here as well.

I ordered the part on 1st November, having trawled around on Google and E-bay for a while I chose a seller called uab-gtv-trading, apparently based in Lithuania. It had quite a long lead time (not surprisingly) and the cost was £62.38, which is quite enough thank you very much, but it's an original part and should be fine for the rest of the life of the car.

I received various e-mail updates, as you do, and the other day I got an e-bay e-mail saying that the part had been delivered. However, there's no sign of it and it clearly has NOT been delivered. Interestingly, I received this e-mail at 13.31 on 17th November, and the e-mail claimed that the part was delivered at 19.43 on 17th November - so magically they delivered it more than 3 hours in the future!!!

After a GREAT deal of faffing around I managed to contact the seller, who got back to me 2 days later to apologise, and to cut a long story short they've agreed to give me a full refund. I will check that this does in fact happen of course.

So, today I did what I should have done in the first place, and contacted FRF Swansea, who answered the phone immediately, said they could get the part in the post to me next working day, and the all-in price delivered is £48.38 - which is roughly £14 cheaper than the e-bay seller! I also know that it will be a proper Volvo part, and having used FRF before I also have confidence that it will actually arrive.

Lesson learned - try Volvo (ideally FRF) first, it may well be cheaper and more reliable. I know there will be plenty of folk on here who will say "told you so" and you're right - as I say, lesson learned!

Hopefully it'll arrive next week and I can finally get it changed.

Cheers!
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 15:03   #10
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. New ones are freely available from your Volvo dealer. They are still a Volvo stock item - I bought one last week from my local dealer!! Ordered it on a Friday, arrived at dealer on a Monday. It's around £55.

Regards
John.
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote