Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Morning sickness, wandering a bit, PAS woes.

Views : 1138

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2021, 17:19   #11
StrongSpearWorks

To update on this, I’ve been applying WD40 to the joints daily (I waft WD wherever I go now), and reckon the lower joint needs replacement.

Would this contribute to my general wandering?

I had an alignment last time I had four new tyres about a year ago but this wandering is new. Depending on the camber of the road it really wants to wander either left or right, and a rough patch of tarmac can make the wheel flap about like nobody’s business. Steering feels sloppy, but the smallest turn of the steering is translating to the road wheels.

I can also generate a knock when parked with the wheels not quite on lock, and a small wiggle of the steering wheel and something is clunking. Going to have it off the ground and front wheels off and start prying the suspension and steering components.

Anything sounding familiar I could look at?

I also read that a saggy rear end could contribute. 🤷
The fun continues.
StrongSpearWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrongSpearWorks For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 17:52   #12
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I'd be looking at the steering arms that go in to the rack, the track rod ends and bottom ball joints. Get under the front end with a light and get someone to rock the steering back and forth to make the clunk happen and try to locate it.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 17:57   #13
StrongSpearWorks

That would be annoying…. All of that is all new (well, all replaced about a year ago).
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 14:04   #14
StrongSpearWorks

I think my wandering woes might be attributed to the (?) lower control arm bushings. They look knackered and with the wheels on the ground there’s a definite gap.
I have the parts but I think the nut on the rear end is 21mm, which I don’t have so I’ll order one in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0743D0DA-6FCD-4FFA-B483-5E875C856313.jpg (128.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by StrongSpearWorks; Nov 21st, 2021 at 15:20.
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 14:09   #15
StrongSpearWorks

I’m guessing the cone bushings are the flying saucer? The below seems commensurate to my experiences.
From Volvo club.org

Control Rod Cone Bushings. There are some symptoms to make you want to check the cone bushings. Some of them are difficult to sense just as with worn shock absorbers- the real difference is only felt when they are replaced. Symptoms that you WILL notice (other than those already discussed):

1) A squeaking when the suspension is at long travel such as when going over a speed bump at slow speeds.
2)A clunking knock, with matching feedback through the steering wheel when turning at slow speeds with the steering at full lock, particularly when on a dirt or gravel surface.
3) Eventually when the suspension is in a long-travel situation, the squeak will turn into a clunk like hitting a solid chunk of wood with a mallet. When you hear the squeak it is time to check the cone bushings. The squeak is the rubber against the control arm. It happens because the rubber is worn, compressed, and worn. As soon as it begins to move (causing the squeak) its wear will rapidly increase causing poor handling, uneven breaking, accelerated tire wear, and can eventually lead to a very unsafe and even dangerous situation.

Old Nov 21st, 2021, 15:17   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongSpearWorks View Post
I think my wandering woes might be attributed to the (?) lower control arm bushings. The look knackered and with the wheels on the ground there’s a definite gap.
I have the parts but I think the nut on the rear end is 21mm, which I don’t have so I’ll order one in.
The aforementioned spaceship bushes! Someone else (think is was Chris aka challo) replicated my experience of not being able to get the front wheels successfully aligned ("tracked") becaue of knackered spaceship bushes.

You'll neet one spaceship bush kit per side (2 bushes, 2 washers, spacer tube and new bolt) and a pot of Loctite 243 and a torque wrench. You'll also need to remove the back end of the radius arm from the chassis so you can check that bush as well - usually they're ok but they eventually wear like all bushes.

The Loctite 243 is threadlock and you will need it for tightening the centre bolt - only fully tighten the bolts when the weight of the car is on the wheels though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 15:30   #17
StrongSpearWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

You'll neet one spaceship bush kit per side (2 bushes, 2 washers, spacer tube and new bolt) and a pot of Loctite 243 and a torque wrench. You'll also need to remove the back end of the radius arm from the chassis so you can check that bush as well - usually they're ok but they eventually wear like all bushes.
I've not examined the kits I have, which contain front and rear bushes and new bolts... don't recall seeing a new spacer tube in there.

Don't suppose you know the socket sizes for the rear end, where it attaches to the body?
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 17:27   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I've not examined the kits I have, which contain front and rear bushes and new bolts... don't recall seeing a new spacer tube in there.

Don't suppose you know the socket sizes for the rear end, where it attaches to the body?
I can't remember off the top of my head, it's a few years since i did mine, 18 and 15mm ring a bell but i might be thinking of my Rover suspension that is all 18 and 15mm..............

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 17:49   #19
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:

If you go for rubber spaceship bushes there is no spacer tube ( you only have that on Superflex poly bushes ) They just slide onto the strut rod. You need to really clean the mating surfaces as they will wear out in no time. Even more so if you go for cheapo rubber.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 17:53   #20
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:

Strut rod to chassis is 18mm and 21mm. The bolt on the spaceship which goes through the washer is 17mm. I would recommend you get new washers as well
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: