Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 940 missfire

Views : 1948

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2021, 19:44   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
You can open the throttle slightly and spray some carb cleaner into the vacuum line going to the intake manifold. If the revs pick up and engine smooths out then you have fuel delivery issue. How is the intake vacuum at idle?
Not necessarily because you've created an air leak by pulling the vacuum hose off - this may also increase the fuel rail pressure as well and then you're correcting it by spraying additional fuel (carb cleaner) into a lean running engine. Sadly not a conclusive test for this reason.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 00:22   #12
Breadcom

Default Help haha

Hello,it was the crank position sensor and disk thing I'm not sure what's it called tone ring or flex plate or trigger wheel but idk where I can buy this from ? LH2-4-flex-plate.jpg

Thanks for all the help
Breadcom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Breadcom For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 07:45   #13
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadcom View Post
Hello,it was the crank position sensor and disk thing I'm not sure what's it called tone ring or flex plate or trigger wheel but idk where I can buy this from ? Attachment 138751

Thanks for all the help
What is wrong with the flexplate?

I believe TomSaintJames has a spare one as I gave him one and then a bottom end I sold him had one on too.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 10:15   #14
TonyS9
Premier Member

You need to think less about what has been replaced or what to replace, and more about what tests and checks have been done.

There is not usually a 1-1 symtom to cause relationship.

Are all the plugs firing? (easily done with plugs lights)
Are they firing at the right time? (timing light and check plug lead wiring)
Is the fuel pressure correct? (measure it)
Do you have any air leaks? (smoke test or inspection)
Are the injectors all working equally? (disconnect one at a time)
Do you have good compression on all cyl? (measure it)

If your mechanic is doing this, you maybe need to try another mechanic. There is nothing unusual about the 940 engine.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 10:28   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hello,it was the crank position sensor and disk thing I'm not sure what's it called tone ring or flex plate or trigger wheel but idk where I can buy this from ? Attachment 138751

Thanks for all the help
I'd fit a new crank position sensor (fairly cheap on ebay or your local parts factor) as it is incredibly rare the flex plate has problems. It's also a gearbox or engine and gearbox out job to replace the flex plate so worth thinking long and hard about going down that course of action.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 13:17   #16
Breadcom

Default Bolts

A new cps was put in and it run amazingly better than ever but then 1h later wouldn't run at all so check it and the ring thing was broken and we found lose bolts in the gearbox which we guessing caused it to be damaged,we have gone over the transmission and can't find any other reason it would brake so almost certainly was lose bolts inside.
The Following User Says Thank You to Breadcom For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 13:26   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
A new cps was put in and it run amazingly better than ever but then 1h later wouldn't run at all so check it and the ring thing was broken and we found lose bolts in the gearbox which we guessing caused it to be damaged,we have gone over the transmission and can't find any other reason it would brake so almost certainly was lose bolts inside.
I'm guessing by gearbox you actually mean the bellhousing? Round the flywheel and clutch or in your case being auto, flexplate and torque converter?

In that case, i'd make a guess the only place you could get loose bolts from would be those that secure the flexplate to the crank shaft. Engine and or engine & gearbox out job, fit new patch bolts to the flexplate/crankshaft but make sure it's in the right place first - i can't remember exactly but it's something along the lines of the gap in the teeth round the edge for the CPS shoul line up with the starter hole at TDC. Someone else can confirm or correct that i'm sure!

When i say patch bolts, they are bolts with a threadlock compound on, usually blue, red or yellow and this isn't activated until the bolts are tightened and are normally single use only as a result. Old bolts if in good condition can be cleaned up and something like Loctite 243 can be used as a threadlocking compound. Failure to use the right bolts or to use threadlock can cause the bolts to come loose resulting in the problem you've got.

Old Nov 26th, 2021, 14:04   #18
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Yep the two missing holes will be in the middle of the starter motor hole when the engine is set to TDC which you can easily do by lining up the timing mark on the crank pulley with the 0 on the bottom cam cover.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 14:51   #19
Breadcom

Default Parts

Thanks for all the help I've learned so much but it's currently at a garage as it stopped working just before an mot.they have diagnosed the problem and want me to sauce a part as they can't get one new or old

sorry if I'm bad at explaining, thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Breadcom For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 15:56   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the help I've learned so much but it's currently at a garage as it stopped working just before an mot.they have diagnosed the problem and want me to sauce a part as they can't get one new or old

sorry if I'm bad at explaining, thanks
That's all very well, we can almost certainly source parts and link to them for you to get but what parts exactly do you need? You've already had a CPS and the 4 loose bolts in the bellhousing suggest they've come from the end of the crankshaft where the flexplate bolts on so i'd guess you'd need the 6 bolts for the flexplate as mentioned before.

No disrespect to you but if you're not technically minded you'll struggle to understand the terminology the garage is using and also to remember exactly what they've said. Do you know someone who has a bit more technical knowledge on cars that can go with you and ask questions and find out exactly what part the garage wants you to get?

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...1/6842012.html

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...88/946379.html

Flexplate and screws (might be 8 screws and not 6, Luke can confirm), not sure on availability but at least you have part numbers now. Prices will be different as last time i checked Cornwall was here in the UK and not in the USA and that's a USA website. Chances are those bits will have to come from gcp.se which is Genuine Classic Parts in Sweden via your Volvo dealer so aren't going to be cheap to buy new!

Tags
940, auto, b230fk, misfire