Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Charging Battery

Views : 4525

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2021, 12:21   #11
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I would just stick a new battery in, for £100 or so it's surely well worth not getting caught out

depending what size you have already and what your requirements are it could be worth an upgrade and getting a slightly bigger one in, there's plenty of room.. I did because I knew we'd be going camping in it and I'd be having my phone plugged in, and the chiller box plugged in the boot, etc. plus I've got a silly big bass amp in the boot

for example https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.u...0-car-battery/

someone else suggested a Yuasa one (90ah?) last time it was discussed which would also be a good option I'm sure

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 13:31   #12
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Here's a handy little reference...words to live by.

Check with volt meter 4-12 hours after shut down:
12.8v = NEW BATTERY
12.5v = '3 year old battery'
12.3v = eyes peeled for special offers
12.2v = failed battery
Some profess using a lower number for a failed battery.

T'was January 2020 the last time I referred to this guide.
My overnight battery reading was 10.6v so I didn't overthink it.

A snowman on the neighbor's lawn was holding a sign which read, "NO BATTERY SALES IN WINTER, PAL"
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 23:57   #13
Org

I had a failing battery on my Jag and connected a spare motorbike charger I had to it using a fly lead that came with the charger, these leads are supposed to be permanently connected to the battery and you just clip them to the charger when finished riding if its hoping to be a while before using the bike again. It stops the battery's going flat and also the chargers are a smart charger where by they maintain the battery. Fortunately I was able to recover the battery for a short while but eventually replaced it ,I bought a battery froma company on ebay called number one batteries, delivery was prompt and all was good especially the price, might be worth a look.
Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 07:39   #14
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy V70 850 View Post
Just checked the voltage to find that it's registering 12.2V after a week on the drive, which Is not brilliant.
I don't think 12.2V after a week is bad, however I would measure the voltage when you crank the engine, that's a better measure of the condition of the battery. Or just get the battery tested. A battery tester simply places a load on the battery and measures either the current (with the old fashioned resistor type tester) or voltage drop (with an electronic tester).
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 14:59   #15
Roy V70 850
Much too Senior

I've just charged the battery up by connecting to the front terminal and cranked the engine over a couple of times to remove the surface charge giving a false reading. It now reads 12.45V, which probably means that it's ok for another year, possibly two.

2004 V70 2.4 D5 (163bhp) P2 manual 150k
Roy V70 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 15:40   #16
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

if it holds that charge for a while should be ok

maybe worth while still at home and near the charger if you're not going out for a while, leave the side lights on for a couple of hours and go back and see if the car starts up, that's my usual simple test that doesn't need any special equipment

had you left something switched on before then or something? previous comment was based on the relatively low reading and the fact it's 'at least' 2 and a half years old, quite likely more? most decent batteries at best give you 5 years waruntee, and they're not exactly expensive.. I guess it depends if you plan on keeping it a few more years, or just trying to keep it going short term

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Oct 6th, 2021 at 15:44.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 16:13   #17
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

One battery article suggested attaching a charger to lesser used vehicles once every 2 months. This maintenance was said to slow the inevitable time-aging of a battery. Batteries lose capacity over time.
Also, the article claimed no charging system recharges to "100%" in the first place.

I've begun to leave my old, basic charger on overnight as our vehicles have only FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) batteries. As advised, I do this bimonthly.

'07 Volvo H6 is in service 4.75 years.
'16 Mazda G35 is in service 5.25 years.
'05 Ford G59 is in service 1.75 years.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Oct 6th, 2021 at 16:36.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 20:30   #18
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Also, the article claimed no charging system recharges to "100%" in the first place.
Now there's a can of worms to open.

I get the idea behind the statement, as charging continues you can get to 99.9% fully charged then 99.99% then 99.999% and so on. It's the stuff of headaches and lost sleep! Not until charging has been done for an infinite length of time can you reach 100% charge, clearly that's never going to happen.

My question in reply would be, 'am a bovvered?' If it's 98% charged that'll do for me
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 10:37   #19
Roy V70 850
Much too Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
had you left something switched on before then or something? *previous comment was based on the relatively low reading and the fact it's 'at least' 2 and a half years old, quite likely more? *most decent batteries at best give you 5 years waruntee, and they're not exactly expensive..
Everything was switched off and I've just checked the drain current which is 50mA. After a week that should equate to approx 10% of its charge.*
Below is a photo of the battery, it almost looks like the original but it couldn't be after 17yrs so I suspect it's been changed at a dealer's, but probably still quite old.

Roy V70 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 13:02   #20
Auldgit
Master Member

Default Drain rate for battery?? XC70 '07 plate

Does anyone know what the accepted "drain rate" is for these cars? I'm having problems with a nearly-flat battery (12.3v) after only 3/4 days on the drive from fully charged (12.6v) with everything switched off. I replaced a 5 year old one thinking it was life-expired but the new one is doing the same.

I've checked the drain rate this morning and after an initial peak it seems to settle at either 0.02A or 0.15A, with no obvious reason for the difference.
Auldgit is offline   Reply With Quote