Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter wheels & tyres vs all season?

Views : 3053

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2021, 09:06   #11
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
Agreed, a winter tyre in summer will probably just feel vague and wear very quickly whereas a summer in proper winter can become dangerous and undrivable very quickly..
The extra wear thing's a bit of a myth, they are more prone to wear because of the innate flexibility in the tread blocks (which also makes for less precise handling), but they aren't necessarily softer per se - silica compounds keep them pliable at low temps, rather than them simply being made out of mushy rubber, iyswim
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 10:16   #12
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Agreed, a winter tyre in summer will probably just feel vague and wear very quickly
They don't in my experience.... the winter tyres I've had on my XC60 AWD for almost 2 years now (all year) have done 36k and still have 5-6mm+ on them. I have rotated them twice but I expect they will run to circa 44-45k which is better than the factory Pirelli Scorpion and the Conti Eco Contacts on my previous XC60.

The tyres I'm running - Cooper Discoverer Winter - do start on circa 9mm of tread rather then the usual 8, but I will scrap them at 3-4mm.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 13:05   #13
V8XCV

All seasons are very good now.

I've run Goodyear vector 4seasons Gen 2 for a few years now and rate them highly, they cope fine in Scottish highlands winter driving and fine in summer weather, on an SUV the handling is not let down by the all season in the summer as they are not a sports car anyway....

Below 5mm any winter or all season tyre is no use on snow, so I always change at 5mm, it's the convenience of having winter capability all year that I like, due to my work I can end up on a mountain in april and still being driving in snow up here, I don't get a summer season long enough to make it worth getting summer tyres anymore.

Our family have tried Cross climates and we don't rate them any use in scottish snow compared to a winter biased all season like the goodyear or vredestein.

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V8XCV For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 14:13   #14
TeamG
Master Member

Interesting perspectives from all of you and a few points I’m taking away from this.

Winters are great in snow, but not necessarily in the wet, cold seasons that we get in Wales (except for our annual 2 days of snow). Winters are alright in summer, but wear because of the tread profile and most of you replace them at 4-5mm. So if using winters all year round, expect only 3-4mm of useable tread.

Summers are great in summer, questionable in typical Welsh weather and crap in snow. They shouldn’t be used all year round, but if used in the summer can be thrashed down to 1.6mm so leaving 6.4mm of useable tread.

All seasons are great in spring/autumn, probably better than winters in a Welsh winter (except for our 2 days of snow) and not noticeably worse than summers in summer if you drive an AWD Volvo SUV (which you’d probably stack at the Ring even on slicks). But when do you guys change your all-seasons? If they are wearing in the colder months, do you bin them at 4-5mm, or do you see it through to summer, thrash the last couple of mm out of them and replace in the Autumn?

It sounds like I need three sets of wheels and tyres. A set of all-seasons for 361 days of the year, a set of winters for the 2 snowy days and a set of summers for the couple of days that I may travel South of Wales and the sun is out?
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 14:26   #15
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamG View Post

It sounds like I need three sets of wheels and tyres. A set of all-seasons for 361 days of the year, a set of winters for the 2 snowy days and a set of summers for the couple of days that I may travel South of Wales and the sun is out?
You cant be far from me seen the XC60 D4 taxi?

I had winters and now summers are due will going for cross climates and hoping (missed the free dash cam offer) but there is an offer if you buy 4 of £50 cash back on pre paid card)

Set of 17" Valder wheels for sale with slick nokian winters......
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 15:47   #16
TeamG
Master Member

Just did a quick couple of calcs.

Assuming all seasons are £145/corner, summers £110/corner and winters £120/corner for my XC-60. All seasons and winters replaced at 4mm tread, summers at 2mm. Assume all tyre wear is equal and a set of tyres normally lasts me at 2mm wear per year.

A set of all-seasons would last me 2 years and cost me £290/year. A set of winters and a set of summers would last me 5 years (the summers last for 50% more wear), costing me £184/year.

That doesn’t take into account inflation, as the all-seasons will likely cost me more in 2 years time and again more in 4 years time. The last set will be half-worn when I look to change the car in 5 years time.

On a set of summers and winters, both sets will be just about shagged when I’m due to sell. I’ll flog the 17” alloys for a hundred quid and consider the sale value with the car needing tyres against the sale value with a new budget on each corner. I will have saved at least £830 over those five years though, as I’d be on my third set of all-seasons.

For me, the economics stack up for winter/summer sets of tyres still, particularly since I’ve already got the wheels. I can see how for others though it isn’t the case.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 17:47   #17
Turbodave
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
The extra wear thing's a bit of a myth, they are more prone to wear because of the innate flexibility in the tread blocks (which also makes for less precise handling), but they aren't necessarily softer per se - silica compounds keep them pliable at low temps, rather than them simply being made out of mushy rubber, iyswim

The extra wear thing is a myth... but they are more prone to wear due to...

Mine wore rapidly - Ultrgrip 8.

Opinions.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 17:56   #18
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
The extra wear thing is a myth... but they are more prone to wear due to...

Mine wore rapidly - Ultrgrip 8.

Opinions.
You're right, I didn't express it very well. My post was alluding to the belief that they are innately very soft. They aren't, they just maintain compliancy to much lower temperatures than summers because of their inclusion of silica compounds. However, balanced against that is the fact that the tyre blocks are much more widely-separated and mobile, which does tend to increase wear.

At least that's what I think you were saying in your post which is itself a model of brevity?
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 21:50   #19
TeamG
Master Member

I’m loving how this thread is developing. Absolutely no arguments, no “I’m right, you’re wrong”, but lots of little details that sway the discussion in one direction and then the other.

The benefits and pitfalls of one or the other appear so marginal that we shouldn’t worry about the path that we choose. Summer/winter sets or all-seasons are both right for the majority of us, but the occasional contributor will have a stronger leaning one way or the other.

I’m at the stage where I’m happy with my choice of two sets of wheels and the twice-yearly swap. My decision is made, and I’ll stick with it for my planned ownership of this car. I will, however, put a set of all-seasons on my wife’s new car (she does far more mileage than me as a community nurse) and see how we get on. You never know, my XC-60 replacement in a few years’ time may well also have all-seasons, or my wife’s next car may need a second set of alloys.

And one benefit, if more of us are leaning towards all-seasons, then those of us who do fancy a second set of alloys or are looking to replace a couple of kerb damaged ones will find reasonably priced wheels on ebay or similar. Full-sized spare anyone?
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 20:48   #20
MG68

Another thumbs up from me for the Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2. (I understand there is a Gen 3 which has been released since).

I tried a set of 4 Michelin Cross Climates soon after they were released to the market.

And since have installed a set of 4 Goodyear tyres on 3 separate cars - 2 X standard V70s, and the wifes BMW F31 320d ED Touring.

We live in the boonies in Wiltshire where gritters & ploughs are non-existant, and do occasionally get a few days of good snow that would certainly have left the BMW on the drive, and the V70s looking sheepishly at the white stuff on summer tyres.

Totally transformed in the snow, especially the BMW.

The wifes car has had the Vectors on for 5 years & 35K miles and having just been Motd last week there was no advisory on tread. I know they are well past their best in the white stuff, but am secretly hoping for some good snow this year just to see how the tyres perform, ahead of their replacement in the Spring.

An AWD Volvo shod with these tyres would be a serious proposition for all but the most extreme conditions in my opinion.
MG68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MG68 For This Useful Post: