Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Euro 4 D5 Block mod

Views : 13016

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2021, 11:10   #1
totalguy

Default Euro 4 D5 Block mod

So ive been doing a bit of research in the search for big power (300+hp 600+nm) on a D5 euro 4 Think ive figured out why theres not any over around 250hp and 500nm. It probably needs a block mod.

But will the T5 one work? or able to be modified to work? there is another option thats get it all machines and custom fit but thats £1500.

decisions decisions as they say.
totalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 18:30   #2
5cilinder
Premier Member

Buy a 5 liter v10 tdi
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 18:42   #3
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

I've done some work on the V10s. The engine alone weighs near on 400kg and ruins the handling of anything car sized it's attached to. In terms of its dimensions and mass its more of a truck motor than genuinely suitable for car use.

I suspect the transmission will be the limiting factor with the D5. The autos quoted limit is 450NM and Polestar options on the 185 and 200 take the engine right up to that limit.
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 19:49   #4
5cilinder
Premier Member

The point was not the v10, its the unrealistic expectations and fantasies of some people.... its probably also better to buy the car around the v10 then to pay a fortune and or spend months of your time to reach some imaginary power number
That d5 with a modest remap drives fine, and if its not enough buy a more powerfull car

Last edited by 5cilinder; Aug 28th, 2021 at 19:52.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 20:46   #5
davebb
Premier Member

Hi you can not use a T5 head on a D5 , The T5 one is Petrol ,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 12:46   #6
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
The point was not the v10, its the unrealistic expectations and fantasies of some people.... its probably also better to buy the car around the v10 then to pay a fortune and or spend months of your time to reach some imaginary power number
That d5 with a modest remap drives fine, and if its not enough buy a more powerfull car
its no imaginary figure i spoke to a proper tuner and someone who knows what these run and they also build their own engines so they know whats inside. its definitely achievable. already got to 250hp 500nm.

buying a car is boring any bugger can do that. not to worry though your wish is my command because my car got smashed into last night in the middle of the night. better get another d5
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 12:47   #7
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
Hi you can not use a T5 head on a D5 , The T5 one is Petrol ,
Dave
i wouldnt want to
Old Aug 29th, 2021, 14:46   #8
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalguy View Post
its no imaginary figure i spoke to a proper tuner and someone who knows what these run and they also build their own engines so they know whats inside. its definitely achievable. already got to 250hp 500nm.

buying a car is boring any bugger can do that. not to worry though your wish is my command because my car got smashed into last night in the middle of the night. better get another d5
That 250 hp and 500 nm is that properly dyno tested?(much of those tuning figures turn out a bit lower) If yes, if you want that 300 hp and 600 nm with lets say the same air to fuel ratio as a modest tune
You need 3 bar over pressure which that standard turbo doesnt deliver , and if it did ,i doubt the engine block would like it multiplied with diesel compression and much more heat and extra power stroke pressure.
That leaves skimping on air fuel ratio with overfueling and no air(turbo pressure) riding with massive smoke when that power is generated.
and offcourse your tuner promises some figures if you pay and dont complain if it blows up or wears out .

Ever been on a dragstrip? insane power with insane boost figures with mehanol. those engines blow up regularly or wear extremely if they dont blow up right away.

That power figure has a price beyond that pink cloud
i mean black clouds, fluffed with some tingling bearing sounds

Last edited by 5cilinder; Aug 29th, 2021 at 14:49.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 11:03   #9
totalguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
That 250 hp and 500 nm is that properly dyno tested?(much of those tuning figures turn out a bit lower) If yes, if you want that 300 hp and 600 nm with lets say the same air to fuel ratio as a modest tune
You need 3 bar over pressure which that standard turbo doesnt deliver , and if it did ,i doubt the engine block would like it multiplied with diesel compression and much more heat and extra power stroke pressure.
That leaves skimping on air fuel ratio with overfueling and no air(turbo pressure) riding with massive smoke when that power is generated.
and offcourse your tuner promises some figures if you pay and dont complain if it blows up or wears out .

Ever been on a dragstrip? insane power with insane boost figures with mehanol. those engines blow up regularly or wear extremely if they dont blow up right away.

That power figure has a price beyond that pink cloud
i mean black clouds, fluffed with some tingling bearing sounds

yes it is dyno tested on an eddy current braked dyno

it would need a hybrid turbo, why does everyone go straight for boost? doesn't necessarily need to have a stupid high boost. i was only on 26 psi with what I got.

its all about egt's and soi and a bit of afr you watch the egt's if its going too high its too much

you dont need massive smoke to gain power if you get the SOI right massive smoke is for amateur tuning just dump in fuel to get power anyone can do that and its not the right way to do it.

any tuner who promises certain figures isnt worth using. its always estimated and dependant on the health of the vehicle.

drag strip cars are different they're tuned for the drag strip specific parameters that are used to optimize them for 1/4 mile runs completely different to something you would use on the road you're not just doing 1/4 miles all the time ffs!

do you even know what fuel pump this has and do you know what injectors are capable of? do you know whats inside the block? have you ever had one of these cars on the dyno on a long session?

i know all of it because the tuner has told me and based on that and other factors says the figures i mentioned are certainly achievable.
Old Aug 30th, 2021, 11:18   #10
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

What are you doing for a transmission? The TF80-6 is fair tough if kept within its limits, but its limit is 450 and it is known to unwind itself very quickly beyond that.

And how are you getting the power down? My mere 450NM requires circumspection in some conditions and is clearly on a knife edge with the chassis and (the really rather good) stability systems. An extra 50 on top would be largely beyond the cars ability to lay it down properly, so would be largely pointless. Chassis mods would likely bring a more accessible perfomance gain than simply taking a D5 engine to 500NM in isolation.

Its a holistic proposition and i see little evidence that is understood in your blind power madness.