Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General > 300/66 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

300 series tailgate hinge wanted

Views : 3204

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2021, 14:04   #1
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Default 300 series tailgate hinge wanted

Hello,

My n/s hinge on the tailgate of my 360 GLE has seemingly broken - the tailgate is loose and will not close properly unless I lift and push it. I imagine the other side will follow suit.

Does anyone have good ones for sale, and can anyone advise on replacement? I imagine the roof lining will have to be dropped.

Thanks in advance.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 09:17   #2
Joe Harding
Premier Member

Your best bet has to be a scrap yard. Ebay volvotenplus down in Zummerzet had a 340 for bits so worth giving him a shout.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 11:18   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Martin View Post
Hello,

My n/s hinge on the tailgate of my 360 GLE has seemingly broken - the tailgate is loose and will not close properly unless I lift and push it. I imagine the other side will follow suit.

Does anyone have good ones for sale, and can anyone advise on replacement? I imagine the roof lining will have to be dropped.

Thanks in advance.
i can probably put my hand on one in primer .. what colour is yours? A result of not lubricating the hinges :-) yes you have to peel the rear headlining down

You will have to get the tailgate off to change the hinges , so why not just change the roll pin which will have worn or rusted and broken ?

I have a couple of stainless steel ones here if it helps . Is the tailgate rusty around the hinges ?
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 13:12   #4
tofufi
Premier Member

Just check the roof structure the hinge bolts to is still OK.

Mine was utterly rotten both sides - I got cuts from a donor car to weld it back up
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 18:09   #5
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Thanks both - Clan: my car is a smoke grey colour, and the roof and tailgate seem fine and not rusty around it. If taking off the tailgate, I should perhaps change both at the same time.

Let me know what you'd like for the bits posted, thank you.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Martin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 21:28   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Martin View Post
Thanks both - Clan: my car is a smoke grey colour, and the roof and tailgate seem fine and not rusty around it. If taking off the tailgate, I should perhaps change both at the same time.

Let me know what you'd like for the bits posted, thank you.
can you see exactly what has broken? is the centre part of the hinge which is attached to the Tailgate moving independently to the part bolted to the body ?

or are the two halves of the hinge still solid and the metal torn where the hinge bolts to the body? this is what happened on my 1980 model ..

you will only need the metal hinge roll pins if the body is sound.. The hinges themselves are very robust ..in fact it will not be easy to get the screws out which hold the hinge to the Tailgate so best to leave the actual hinges screwed on ..
I have 2 pins if you really need them.. send a Private Message ...
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 12:43   #7
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Just check the roof structure the hinge bolts to is still OK.

Mine was utterly rotten both sides - I got cuts from a donor car to weld it back up
A car 340 I had years ago had a similar problem, did a temporary repair with large steel washers.
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 14:26   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
A car 340 I had years ago had a similar problem, did a temporary repair with large steel washers.
It is a growing problem , I would advise everyone to oil their top hinge pins which are hollow , not an easy job but worth spending half an hour on now than weeks later on in the cars life .

No further news on the diagnosis yet ?
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 14:43   #9
Two340'sman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is a growing problem , I would advise everyone to oil their top hinge pins which are hollow , not an easy job but worth spending half an hour on now than weeks later on in the cars life .

No further news on the diagnosis yet ?
On my 340's I Waxoyled around the areas when the hinges are, this should slow down any rust.

The 340 1.4 with the rough idle, has been fine since I fiddled with the idle mixture screw.
Two340'sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 14:48   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
On my 340's I Waxoyled around the areas when the hinges are, this should slow down any rust.

The 340 1.4 with the rough idle, has been fine since I fiddled with the idle mixture screw.
The problem is the hinge gets very stiff due to water / rust and due to the huge leverage you don't notice when you lift the tailgate it bends the metal every time and cracks it eventually as you might expect . Rust just brings failure a bit closer .

Yes the CO screw needs a tweek when the warmer weather comes if set up in winter ...