Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 engine used without oil. Very sad :-(

Views : 23710

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2021, 10:06   #51
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Last time I took a car to an independent garage it came back with an unexplained 300 extra miles on the clock, and evicdence in the interior that it had been used to lug a heavy load.

Fly by nights, shysters, and plain old couldn't-care-less types can be found everywhere - having their own name over the door is no guarantee of honsety or integrity.

This idea that all dealers are bad and all independents are automatically good is a nonsense. One needs to take each individual example by its own merits. There are plenty of good and bad examples of each out there.
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 01:16   #52
sv70

Neither is being a main dealer with global support, a guarantee of getting a good honest service and integrity, like you say- '' One needs to take each individual example by it's own merits'' and if you apply that school of thought to this particular case then that is a big black mark against that dealership and the only redeeming act on their side is admitting they forgot to put oil in before starting it. In your case you had a dreadful experience from an independent, and in Davadava's case he also had a similar experience, but in his case he could be the price of a replacement engine out of pocket, whereas you was 300 miles of fuel and an interior valet out of pocket - [neither scenario is acceptable] - i know which one i would choose if i had the option. I know of a few instances where guys who used to work for the main dealers have spread their wings and started their own independent garages, having the full experience of main dealer training, but their prices are more competitive, through not having the big boys overheads - you are getting exactly the same mechanical know how and expertise, only you don't get greeted by a nice lady asking you- tea or coffee sir and no plush carpet on your way to paying the bill.You pay your money and take your choice.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 11:43   #53
Davadava

Default Update....Planned Day in Court

Thanks all...

Update....

County Court papers have now been issued to MRG Volvo Chippenham, part of Chippenham Motor Company, where we have been loyal customers for 15 years.

My solicitor sums it up, in his words....

"Shocking treatment,
They initially lied to me about the oil and left me stranded at the dealership.
They then admitted wrecking our car's engine.
They then refused to help with a replacement car in any form whatsoever.
Instead within three working days they had washed their hands of us, throwing us on their insurer, Aviva, who wrote the car off for £13,000."

It seems crazy but I have had to liaise with 51 people in numerous companies and had in excess of 150 emails/telephone conversations - all documented.

I went into this incredibly niave and believed all sorts of tosh from the dealers and insurers.

Bring it on!
Davadava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 11:47   #54
Davadava

Default Forgot to mention.....

I have now fitted the traditional "Police" dipstick it to our replacement D5 XC70.

I shall service it myself from now on, as I do with our V70 PSA engined 1.6 Drive 5 speed.
Davadava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davadava For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 11:13   #55
brickman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
^^^ That.

Legally, the insurers only involvement is to cover the garage's liability. You do not have to accept anything that the insurers say - value of vehicle, view of liability etc. the garage has already technically admitted liability and you are quite entitled to recover all of your costs thus incurred.

As the car is 10 years old the £10k+ cost of a new engine will undoubtedly make it an uneconomic repair, but that shouldn't mean that the car will be recorded as salvage as it hasn't been in a collision and the payout is against the commercial liability of the garage for failing to provide services to the required standard.

Joining this thread late but a D5 engine allowed to tickover without oil for a short period will be fine - the stresses on the engine internals are de minimis at tickover compared to moderate to full throttle. When changing my oil I run my engine at tickover for 5 seconds after draining the sump to get the last 250ml of old oil out of the system. Provided the engine has recently been run and everything is covered, it's not a problem. I realise some folk will find this abhorrent but if you're going to disagree please back that up with some science or real life experience.

If driven though, the stresses increase dramatically but on an oil starved engine that's been driven the first component to go is more often the turbo - high RPM's + heat + no oil leads to their demise quite quickly. Next is usually the big ends & main bearings - at that point the engine it toast unless it gets a strip and rebuild as the oil ways will be full of swarf. Simply replacing the shells is bodgery.
I do this too, esp on diesels as the oil is always jet black with soot and being able to get as much of it out as possible is always a good thing. On anything that's gone over its service interval I run out with a minimal amount of cheap oil to dilute, run it for ten mins (enough oil to prevent starvation) and then drain that out too.

You basically were the unlucky one, would guess this happens one or two times a year at a larger service centre. Their initial treatment sounds bad, but later sort of picked themselves up. I run a workshop myself, and of any mistake was mad Id always attempt to rectify it, but if you get into big numbers, you have to pull the insurance chain, and then the liability falls to them, it's literally the point in having a policy, to protect you from customers and customers from you.

Sucks to now be in the insurance waiting game, can take 6 to 18 months, so if you have the means would just move on, and wait for their cheque to land. Stick to your guns on value, use a solicitor etc, but don't worry yourself about it any more than that, it won't make the process go any faster.

As others have said, rebuilt d5 are hard to come by, some folk have diy'd it and not ended well. Most mftr will do a crate new short block, a long block, aswell as reman options. New is overkill and will be priced as such, if volvo can get a "volvo" reman engine I would do that and put it in the car as it sounds like the rest of it is in great shape.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 13:54   #56
Foeux

This sounds like a really loathsome time you are having.

I used MRG to replace the cambelt on a P1 V70 TDI. Within a year of it being done, the crank pulley had worked loose (not torqued up properly) and the engine was lunched. Not as majestic as your car by any means but it was inconvenient and sad to have to bin an otherwise reliable car at 244k miles.

For balance, they did some work on another P1 V70 TDI and it was fine.

Happy towing. Got any pics of the new car to gawp at?
Foeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 13:42   #57
Cloth Ears

Is there an update to this sorry tale? Please don't leave me hanging!
Cloth Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 16:12   #58
Simmy
Premier Member

post 54 states he has a replacement car which he will maintain himself
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 17:10   #59
Cloth Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
post 54 states he has a replacement car which he will maintain himself
Yes, but that was posted on the same day as the previous post informing that the court papers were in, so I was wondering whether there had been any further developments. It'd be interesting to find out how this played out in the end.
Cloth Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 18:36   #60
Simmy
Premier Member

may be its not finalised he also may not want to share that information dependant on how it went . just wait and maybe we will find out without asking .
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote