Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on a XC90 - new to forum new to volvo

Views : 4189

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2021, 20:45   #1
lordofthejungle

Default Advice on a XC90 - new to forum new to volvo

Hi,

New member. I am actively looking for a XC90. My budget is 27k up from 25k as prices have gone up recently. After a good research on whatcar et el and reading this forum I have decided on a 2016+ D5. There are few extras I want like Intellisafe Pro. BW would be a bonus.

I have reserved this car (link below). Hits all the points and is also at a sensible price. In fact given the research I have done (albeit here and on autotrader) the price is spot on with a little room for haggle.

My question is to the XC90 owners. Is the spec good and the price right in your opinion.

https://www.bigmotoringworld.co.uk/u...53&VRM=CK17EFB

Thanks for your time on answering.

Hope to become a Volvo driver soon!!

Current car 13 year old Hyundai Santa Fe.

Cheers

Nik
lordofthejungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 22:32   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthejungle View Post
Hi,

New member. I am actively looking for a XC90. My budget is 27k up from 25k as prices have gone up recently. After a good research on whatcar et el and reading this forum I have decided on a 2016+ D5. There are few extras I want like Intellisafe Pro. BW would be a bonus.

I have reserved this car (link below). Hits all the points and is also at a sensible price. In fact given the research I have done (albeit here and on autotrader) the price is spot on with a little room for haggle.

My question is to the XC90 owners. Is the spec good and the price right in your opinion.

https://www.bigmotoringworld.co.uk/u...53&VRM=CK17EFB

Thanks for your time on answering.

Hope to become a Volvo driver soon!!

Current car 13 year old Hyundai Santa Fe.

Cheers

Nik
I think with the blonde leather, Bowers and Wilkins sound and pano roof that actually looks a very good price.

I would be happy with that.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 02:05   #3
KFCKFC

The spec and price is good. Looking at the last three MOTs the car only has advisories (wear and minor cuts to the rear tyre). The one thing I would highlight is the service history, I think this spec is on a 12 month/18000 mile interval (whichever is sooner) but this car has not adhered to the recommended schedule. As you can imagine it is quite bad to miss oil changes.
KFCKFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 06:25   #4
lordofthejungle

Thanks for going down into details. I was planning to call Cardiff Volvo where it seems it’s been serviced. I hope that it won’t be a major issue. There aren’t many XC 90’s coming onto market with reasonable spec at attractive prices. I plan to ask garage to do a MOT and perhaps also have an extended warranty. And just to go OTT I will book a service with my local Reading Volvo so if any advisories come up then with get seller to fix in their standard 30 day warranty.

But that’s for finding that detail which I can use to negotiate
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 13:53   #5
lordofthejungle

Default Exhaust

The car looks in a good nick. However, not a mechanically minded. I am asking their technicians to explain this exhaust which looks pretty black to me. My 13 year Hyundai isn’t this black. They have MOT’ed the car and it has passed for a year until May 2022. Any thoughts on the exhaust??
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 14:48   #6
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Hmm. I am not familiar with the XC90s’, and assuming it is not just a build up of road grime externally? However I can relate my experience with a XC60 D4, (MY 65) which is the same engine but lower power output and sans the Power Pulse system. At 42000 miles you can wipe the inside of the tailpipes with a clean white tissue and there is not a spec of black.

Some of these engines can develop a propensity to start using a lot of oil (a lot of posts on the subject on here). Not wishing to frighten you off, and on both my D4s’ I have never had to use any oil between services. Nevertheless I would definitely think it worth looking into in more detail along with the missing service information.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316601
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 15:49   #7
lordofthejungle

Thanks all. Checked with Cardiff Volvo it’s been serviced. They have done a new MOT now valid until May 2022. Plus got a warranty for 3 years at 1000. It’s their ‘premium’ warranty means I can take it to a Volvo garage. Lastly they also will service the car and offer 100 towards replacing a tyre. There isn’t a cheaper car in UK....so decided to take the plunge. Thanks all
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 15:50   #8
lordofthejungle

Original quote for warranty was 2000. I think they are making money....they have to. But I am happy with the spec and the year and mileage. Fingers crossed now.....
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 16:34   #9
EssexExile
Master Member

Welcome to the Volvo family.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 20:55   #10
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthejungle View Post
The car looks in a good nick. However, not a mechanically minded. I am asking their technicians to explain this exhaust which looks pretty black to me. My 13 year Hyundai isn’t this black. They have MOT’ed the car and it has passed for a year until May 2022. Any thoughts on the exhaust??
0000 wire wool and some autoglym metal polish will have those looking like new.

I had to remove quite a bit of black off the pipes of my last xc90 after a few 10s of k miles - and that was a petrol T8!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote