Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Life with my 960 Estate

Views : 14316

Replies : 219

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2021, 13:20   #111
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

The petrol XU9 (aka 1.9 as fitted to 205 GTI) was an incredibly fumey unit and would throw oil into the breather system with alarming regularity. It was an unwritted service item to empty a can of carb cleaner into the breather and throttle body at a 6000 service and often it needed the same treatment in between services if the driver was "enthusiastic".
I can remember taking a 309 GTI out for an enthusiastic test drive ... when I enquired about fuel economy the salesman replied...

"The way you drive not a lot!"

Had I bought it I expect that carb cleaner would have been a must buy for me!
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 14:14   #112
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock View Post
I can remember taking a 309 GTI out for an enthusiastic test drive ... when I enquired about fuel economy the salesman replied...

"The way you drive not a lot!"

Had I bought it I expect that carb cleaner would have been a must buy for me!
Buy a trade-pack of 12 each year, use one every 4-weeks and the other 4 weeks of the year it would be off the road anyway for repairs. Either waiting spares or just taking time to be fixed or both!

The Xantia/XM wasn't really that different to a 309 to be honest, probably more akin to a 405/406.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 14:35   #113
GingerMagic

I've owned old PSA chod for years, cheap as chips and contrary to believe they are super reliable ( the 406 diesels anyway )
I did have a 406 V6 Coupe too, only fleetingly as I missed the convenience of 4 doors and not caring where I parked, plus the Coupe doors were massive and needed loads of room to open them....
I still have a cheap and cheerful 406 estate that I use for dump trips and chucking sofas on the roof, so I abuse this instead of the Volvo.

It's hard to compare my 406 and the 940 - very similar in ride quality and practicality - the 406 handles better and is quicker, but the Volvo is a very close second.

Once the Volvo has the MBC and the bushes and shocks replaced it'll be hard to decide which one is best.

The Xantia is also an okay car, very comfy - but much to go wrong...

I'll get my coat
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 15:15   #114
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Back from lunch and a superlative straight six run with some very nice bits to get my heart racing and to blow the cobwebs away...

I must say that after fords 2 Fiestas a MK1 1.1l and a Mk2 XR2 plus a Sierra 1.8lx, 2 Renaults both 1.5 CRDs - great engines unexceptional cars and a bevy of p1sspoor Rovers .. apart from one glorious 820 fastback and even the odd Honda plus the PSA runners that....

None of them were as comfortable or as capable as my 26 year old 960 estate .. guess the wandering eye has been tamed by a great blast round the fens
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 18:14   #115
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Back from lunch and a superlative straight six run with some very nice bits to get my heart racing and to blow the cobwebs away...

I must say that after fords 2 Fiestas a MK1 1.1l and a Mk2 XR2 plus a Sierra 1.8lx, 2 Renaults both 1.5 CRDs - great engines unexceptional cars and a bevy of p1sspoor Rovers .. apart from one glorious 820 fastback and even the odd Honda plus the PSA runners that....

None of them were as comfortable or as capable as my 26 year old 960 estate .. guess the wandering eye has been tamed by a great blast round the fens
You obviously bought the wrong Rovers! Some can be a nightmare (especially those with Peugeot engines/boxes) and the later ones with the horrendous K (short for Kettle) Series engines but any with the T-series (like your 820) or the Honda C-Series (early 825 and 827) are generally very good cars and i find the 800 much more comfortable, faster and more economical than the Volvo 7xx cars. That said they never made an estate version.

As for the Renaults you had, again electrical gremlins aplenty (although better than PSA stuff) and Renault engines are prone to HGF.

Nothing intrinsically wrong with the Fords but they're all built to a price, had a Sierra 1.8LX as a company car a couple of times, not a bad motor but not outstanding in any way. The Cortina was a better car IMHO - the Sierra was devoid of character by comparison.

Had a few Hondas myself Mk2 Ballade (aka Rover SD3 but with the 1.5i 100bhp non-VTEC engine, still went like stink!), an Accord 2.2iES auto Coupe alongside a Rover 620SLi (built on the same production lines as the Accord saloon/hatch - the Coupe was a USA built car) but prefer the Honda-based Rover models to the Hondas they came from. The 5th Gen Accord Aerodeck would have made a good Rover 600 estate, always fancied finding one and fitting the 600 front end on it, just for gits and shiggles and maybe even dropping the C27 in like they did stateside to both that and the Coupe.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 22:12   #116
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
You obviously bought the wrong Rovers! Some can be a nightmare (especially those with Peugeot engines/boxes) and the later ones with the horrendous K (short for Kettle) Series engines but any with the T-series (like your 820) or the Honda C-Series (early 825 and 827) are generally very good cars and i find the 800 much more comfortable, faster and more economical than the Volvo 7xx cars. That said they never made an estate version.
The Rovers were in order ... 218 sd turbo with the badly fitted PSA 1.8 Diesel, a 220 auto, 3x 400s of various types and the lovely but short loved 820 all as company cars .. we used to joke about what bits had fallen off our Rovers .. close a door and bits of your exterior trim would drop off!

The 218 was a particular dog ... somewhere amongst the rovers I had a first gen 1.6 Nissan Primera for a week as a hire car which I found great fun to drive.. Best of all the company cars was a Civic 1.6 VTEC lovely car....
Old Nov 6th, 2021, 22:52   #117
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The Rovers were in order ... 218 sd turbo with the badly fitted PSA 1.8 Diesel, a 220 auto, 3x 400s of various types and the lovely but short loved 820 all as company cars .. we used to joke about what bits had fallen off our Rovers .. close a door and bits of your exterior trim would drop off!

The 218 was a particular dog ... somewhere amongst the rovers I had a first gen 1.6 Nissan Primera for a week as a hire car which I found great fun to drive.. Best of all the company cars was a Civic 1.6 VTEC lovely car....
I've had a few more Rovers than that and never had trim fall off - inside or outside!

I also had a 218 SDt that self destructed, clutch exploded taking the engine and box with it!

Also had a 416Si auto (ex-wifes car but i ended up with it), a 420 GSi, an early Mk1 820 SLi saloon, late Mk1 827 Sterling, 620SLi, 94 827 SLi, 94 827 Sterling, 95 827 Coupe plus 7 SD1s (5 V8s) and a P6 2000. I think that's all of them.

I did have a bit of trim knocked off the 827 Coupe, they had plastic cladding along the bottom of the doors and behind to the wheel arch and in front on the wing to the wheel arch. A piece of debris on the A14 flew up off the road and knocked the cladding off the drivers front wing but i don't class that as falling off as it had external causes.

You must have been seriously unlucky with yours!

Old Nov 27th, 2021, 08:22   #118
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

So winter service, fluids and filters done

Apparently the fuel filter was a "biatch" to remove? But with Motor, Gear Box and Rear Diff all serviced the beast is running very smooth.. however..

As has been noted before you do something nice for your pride and joy and it rewards you with the next job!

As I pulled away from the Garage having driven the car several miles to it I was rewarded by a clunking noise moving with the car on full lock?

Back to the garage I went where they told me they think the tracking/wheel alignment is out of wack and that is not something they do.

So my next trip is going to be to the wheel alignment guys

Has anyone else come across this it only happens on full lock left or right?
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 10:20   #119
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
So winter service, fluids and filters done

Apparently the fuel filter was a "biatch" to remove? But with Motor, Gear Box and Rear Diff all serviced the beast is running very smooth.. however..

As has been noted before you do something nice for your pride and joy and it rewards you with the next job!

As I pulled away from the Garage having driven the car several miles to it I was rewarded by a clunking noise moving with the car on full lock?

Back to the garage I went where they told me they think the tracking/wheel alignment is out of wack and that is not something they do.

So my next trip is going to be to the wheel alignment guys

Has anyone else come across this it only happens on full lock left or right?
Certainly sounds like wheel alignment, you will probably also find when reversing on full lock the front wheels skip a bit. Very common on the 7/9xx platform.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 11:56   #120
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Certainly sounds like wheel alignment, you will probably also find when reversing on full lock the front wheels skip a bit. Very common on the 7/9xx platform.
Good to know thanks

Other than that minor problem madam beast has the mechanics seal of approval they think like I do, that she's a beauty
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post: