Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone with a T8 at nearly 4 or 5 years old - read this!

Views : 42612

Replies : 110

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2021, 13:11   #31
Owee

Smile

Excellent thread and thought I would add my experience of the ERAD failure and the favourable outcome.
Last week Saturday, driving along country lanes with approx 10 miles available on charge, car was switching between engines depending on gradient and suddenly could hear firecrackers going off under the car and strong burning smell followed by juddering and grinding sound from the back wheels. Volvo assist came out and recovered car after 4.5 hours (another story, should of just called my AA).
Dealership rang on Monday to say tech has driven it, cant see no issue (While waiting I did go backwards and forwards after the car had a chance to cool down and problem seemed to have gone). Gave more details to the service manager and said would try again. Next day rang to say problem had reoccurred on test run and its the ERAD.
Volvo UK will foot the bill fully but they cannot supply car replacement. If it went through my Volvo warranty, then they would pay for hire car but as its Volvo UK, no hire car. Dealership were excellent and have always found them very helpful and supplied us with one of their older cars which kept us mobile. Friday car was ready and having driven it since feels more responsive.

Just to add my car is 5 yrs old exactly today (from registration) and its a MY17. I have carried on the Volvo warranty after the 3 yrs warranty expired (Volvo card in post) and service it at that dealership. Also its only done 35k so I am not sure if these factors are taken into account when Volvo UK decide on who pays the bill and how good a case the dealership puts to them.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 12:42   #32
Joey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd2008 View Post
Hi Philip having the same problem I have a 2016 XC90 . It’s ERAD is on the way out and dealership say it needs replacing at €4000. Thy tell me I have no warranty cover on this , you mentioned a 4 and 5 year warranty,is this standard or is this extended warranty that you had to pay extra for. If it’s standard where can I get a copy of this. Mike
Just wanted to say that I got this done with Spirit Volvo in Dublin at no cost (Q1 2021) so I hope you didn't have to put your hand in your pocket. They reached out to Volvo directly so after I dropped it off they just came to me to say it was the ERAD diff and that Volvo would be covering the cost in full.

I now have a problem with the electric motor which seems to be on the way out and I have a separate thread detailing my experience on that. Spirit Volvo have been excellent throughout (so far anyway).
Joey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 18:50   #33
Joey99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey99 View Post
Just wanted to say that I got this done with Spirit Volvo in Dublin at no cost (Q1 2021) so I hope you didn't have to put your hand in your pocket. They reached out to Volvo directly so after I dropped it off they just came to me to say it was the ERAD diff and that Volvo would be covering the cost in full.

I now have a problem with the electric motor which seems to be on the way out and I have a separate thread detailing my experience on that. Spirit Volvo have been excellent throughout (so far anyway).
Further update, my electric motor issue is now repaired (sorted by a new motor with ~70% goodwill from Volvo due at least in part to my full main dealer history). So ERAD diff failure may not be the end of the road for some people with these problems.
Joey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joey99 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 15:15   #34
ustari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey99 View Post
Further update, my electric motor issue is now repaired (sorted by a new motor with ~70% goodwill from Volvo due at least in part to my full main dealer history). So ERAD diff failure may not be the end of the road for some people with these problems.
PM sent if you could take a look when you get a moment. Going through this also in Ireland at the moment and would appreciate your insight.
ustari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 17:56   #35
V70Kaz

Hi. As you have a t8 xc60 could you tell me which three pin charging cable was supplied with it originally? Was it the Volvo black one or the yellow and blu mennekes variable amp cable?
V70Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 15:56   #36
drtimwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
As many people have reported there have been instances of failure of the electric motor in the rear axle. This unit is called the ERAD. In the past the entire unit has been replaced, which has been quoted as a circa 9k GBP cost. Repair is sometimes possible and there is now a repair and modification kit for this unit which I am led to believe is about 1.7k parts and about 12 hours labour. This will add up to a circa 3.5k GBP job to repair.

The ERAD can fail in different ways but common symptoms are hesitation on pulling away, pulling away then cutting out, juddering (axle tramp) or a loud clunking from the rear.

What I have found out recently is that Volvo has increased the warranty on this part to 5 years. Up to 4 years old they will pay for 100% of the repair cost. Up to 5 years old they will pay for 50%.

What I also now know is that this is strictly enforced. My car was 48 months old on 1.3.20. I had first symptoms on 8.3.20. I rang the dealer about a week later and it was booked in for 31.3.20. Due to UK shutdown I didn't get to the dealer until mid May when the codes were read and the fault diagnosed. The dealer tried very hard for goodwill for me, but Volvo UK refused as the 48 month deadline is strictly enforced. Volvo UK also have full access to the dealer software so they know exactly when the codes were read. So for me from Volvo all I am offered is 50% of the cost. Luckily I have an aftermarket warranty which should cover it.

So. For anyone experiencing any of the symptoms above, and if the car is close to either the 4 or 5 year anniversary then get to the dealer ASAP and get the codes read. It could save you a lot of money.

Hope that helps someone.
It strikes me that having a car that might lose power when driving on the open road, or that loses power when pulling away from a junction is a safety issue.
The problem with the ERAD on VC90s should be reported.
If enough people with XC90s report the problem, then Volvo will have to recall them and fix it.
This is where you report the problem. It takes 4 minutes.
https://forms.dvsa.gov.uk/Vsdr/create
drtimwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drtimwilson For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 17:45   #37
T8 driver

Firstly I would like to thank the other users who have posted their experiences regarding the failure of the T8 ERAD--very helpful. I have recently had the same failure and have been treated rather worse by Volvo so I am posting this to warn others.

My T8 is 2018 and the ERAD failed at just over 33k miles and 40 months old. The car has always been serviced in accordance with the manufacturers guidance. Despite the failure being essentially due to a design fault (as I understand it), Volvo would only offer 50% of the c£2500 repair cost as "goodwill" which they grudgingly later increased to 70%--despite the mechanic who tested the car confirming this was a regular issue he was seeing and I should get it covered 100% (in line with what the other posters above have reported).

As this is the 3rd breakdown in 2 years I have experienced in this car all connected to the Hybrid system, I'd advise buyers to proceed with caution. The car is great when it works but I get the sense Volvo are cutting back on the support they are offering. If anyone reading this has had a better recent experience would be good to learn of it.

Last edited by T8 driver; Nov 11th, 2021 at 18:04.
T8 driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T8 driver For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 17:57   #38
Cull06
Master Member

Interesting to read the experience of other volvo customers on this matter. Yeah I’m pretty certain rather than keeping the car as planned I’ll be handing it back. Shame.
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 14:23   #39
Afo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Kaz View Post
Hi. As you have a t8 xc60 could you tell me which three pin charging cable was supplied with it originally? Was it the Volvo black one or the yellow and blu mennekes variable amp cable?
I have an early 2018 car and got the Mennekes yellow and blue 3-pin cable.
Afo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 00:21   #40
Afo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T8 driver View Post
Firstly I would like to thank the other users who have posted their experiences regarding the failure of the T8 ERAD--very helpful. I have recently had the same failure and have been treated rather worse by Volvo so I am posting this to warn others.

My T8 is 2018 and the ERAD failed at just over 33k miles and 40 months old. The car has always been serviced in accordance with the manufacturers guidance. Despite the failure being essentially due to a design fault (as I understand it), Volvo would only offer 50% of the c£2500 repair cost as "goodwill" which they grudgingly later increased to 70%--despite the mechanic who tested the car confirming this was a regular issue he was seeing and I should get it covered 100% (in line with what the other posters above have reported).

As this is the 3rd breakdown in 2 years I have experienced in this car all connected to the Hybrid system, I'd advise buyers to proceed with caution. The car is great when it works but I get the sense Volvo are cutting back on the support they are offering. If anyone reading this has had a better recent experience would be good to learn of it.
I've only just joined the forum (though have used the resources several times before) to comment on this thread as it recently proved useful for me.

About 3 weeks ago we had issues with the ERAD and on calling our Volvo dealer to book it in, I mentioned that I'd done some research and knew about the extended warranty - thanks to the info in this thread!

The car was in last week for a total of 4 working days (Thursday to Tuesday) and they replaced the ERAD under Volvo UK warranty. After the initial diagnosis on Day1, I got a call to ask if we wanted to leave it with them because they hadn't provided a courtesy car and I'd mentioned that this may become an issue if they were keeping the car for more than a couple of days. The car is very close to it's 4 year anniversary so I was told that if I didn't book it in before that date, I wouldn't get the warranty cover. After an extra day of having the car, the dealer finished the work of replacing the ERAD and we picked up the car with no charge whatsoever. I am told the work carried out has a 12 month warranty.

All in all, what turned out to be a big worry for potential repair costs, was dealt with fairly smoothly and without any hassle, other than not having a car for a few days.

I'm interested to know if there are any new issues arising from the replacement of the ERAD - is it time to sell the car I wonder?!
Afo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Afo For This Useful Post: