Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tips for driving big automatic in snow?

Views : 9322

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 08:48   #21
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
still very little engine braking with these 8 speed geartronics.
I agree - I can’t feel more than a couple of shifts down coasting from 50 to about 15 - that’s what a 5 gear box would do 15 years ago though it would give more engine breaking because of wider ratios.
I believe that’s their fuel saving feature. They hold on to the highest gear possible hoping that when you accelerate again you will be happy enough with higher gear acceleration. That’s where the hesitation in slow corner or roundabout behaviour comes from - when you add more than minimum accelerator input it realises you need to speed up fast and tries to shift down only then. The shocking thing is they even use it in sports mode. They really need to have a mode which shifts down if accelerator input is zero and the car is slowing down so your gear is engaged and turbo is spoiled when you press the accelerator. I don’t see a scenario (other than fuel efficiency tests) when someone will want to stay in the same gear having dropped 20mph of speed. Given that they have 8 gears to play with this is really poor refinement.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 09:46   #22
Quacker
Premier Member

I've swopped to narrower tyres for more 'bite' for the winter months. 235 instead of 275 width. Am too stingy to swap out the perfectly good summer-biassed tyres for winter ones though. If it gets that bad, the Volvo won't be able to negotiate the deep drifts anyhow.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 13:10   #23
jaysmith60
Getting to know my S90

From another thread: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...3&postcount=18
...this is how I imagined it might be to drive on snow.
I would definitely invest in winter/all season tyres (I've put Michelin CrossClimates on other cars and they give massively improved traction on snow) but unfortunately that's not what it will be fitted with for the drive home from the dealership.
Any chance for a big thaw overnight?
jaysmith60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaysmith60 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 14:10   #24
gaby
Premier Member

Perhaps you can wait to pick up the car until roads are clean(er).
Not an easy exercise of course...
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 23:50   #25
Jcbrown

gentle...gentle...gentle

Been out over the last few days in the S90, and it is not nice out there. Seen the aftermath of quite a few accidents. Most look like slow-speed bumps, but a couple look pretty serious and it would not surprise me if there were some injuries (though I hope not) and/or the car was a write-off.

Try and plan ahead and no sudden acceleration, braking or turning. Everything smooth and gentle.

Try not to come to a complete stop if you can avoid it, always try and keep some momentum, however little. Drive much slower than you would normally, and keep a much bigger distance from the cars in-front. DO NOT be pushed on by the t**t in the 4x4 sitting on your tail flashing their lights because you are doing 30MPH in a 40-zone.

Be prepared to switch on "Sports Mode", especially if you have come to a halt, and are spinning the wheels trying to get moving again. As counter-intuitive as it sounds, engaging "Sports Mode" can help. From the manual (which you can find here)
Quote:
"Sport mode also provides maximum traction if the car has become bogged down or is driving on a loose surface, such as sand or deep snow"
The manual will also shows you what to look for in Sensus to activate "Sports Mode".

Assume every other driver is a f***ing idiot and try and plan accordingly. You will probably be right 90% of the time or more

Though as Gaby says, you probably should consider waiting a day or 2. As much a disappointment as it will be, do you really want to risk your brand new car, with an auto you are not familiar with, on treacherous roads?

Last edited by Jcbrown; Mar 3rd, 2018 at 00:00.
Jcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jcbrown For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 09:46   #26
Dougieb16

Snow has been horrific in Glasgow with parts of garden knee deep. Put a set of Continental winters on the new XC90 in January(mocked by some as winter almost over) but have managed to get anywhere with no problem - great fun driving normally through deep snow

The XC90 replaced a X5 and the XC90 wins in all departments (apart from the continual dirty back windscreen) on all fronts.

Last edited by Dougieb16; Mar 3rd, 2018 at 09:48.
Dougieb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 20:06   #27
Tony H

Bumping this to see if anyone has any other hints or tips? This is my first auto box car and driving in the snow tonight in the Cairngorms was more interesting than it was in the past with my C30 or V40.

I missed being able to just put the car in second or third and plod along (didn't think of the +/- option)

I did turn off the lane keep assist as it kept trying to steer me out of the tyre tracks I was trying to drive in.

Had a bit of a moment on a bend I can normally take at 50mph when only doing 20 at the time - I though I was going slow enough.

I'm pretty sure the tyres are all season, but I think full winters might be the way to go.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 20:24   #28
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

It should have the winter ‘W’ button on the box which makes it very slow and steady to start and selects a higher gear.

It should be every inch as good as a Manual really.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 20:31   #29
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
It should have the winter ‘W’ button on the box which makes it very slow and steady to start and selects a higher gear.

It should be every inch as good as a Manual really.
Do the new ones have a winter button? Can't say I've noticed one, but then again I haven't needed it. Just be gentle.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 09:01   #30
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
Do the new ones have a winter button? Can't say I've noticed one, but then again I haven't needed it. Just be gentle.
There is not a "Winter button" that I have ever seen on any SPA or CMA car I have driven.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote