Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 hybrid phev ISG failure

Views : 11927

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 24th, 2021, 09:49   #21
Bungle1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Volvo View Post
The electric AC unit of V60 Hybrids is a well known problem at Volvo. However, take your car to a Volvo main dealer and they will act like they have never come across the problem before. The charge for a repair at the main dealer is GBP2,500 and Volvo will charge a premium for selling what is an AC unit with a significant latent defect.

When the AC unit fails, it causes a short circuit which drains the starter battery of power. Even a charge of the starter battery will not allow the car to start.

The only emergency method of getting the car to start is to use the Volvo App and get the car to pre-heat or cool the car-you can then start the diesel engine and possibly get to where you need to go in "limp mode".

There is no easy diagnostic code for the AC failure-when the starter battery is drained, pretty much every fault code registers and a main dealer will start replacing parts for everything that is showing a fault code. My main dealer (Senintel on Seven Sisters Road) changed the On Call battery at GBP 500 first and then wanted to charge the same again to replace the starter battery. After which they quoted GBP 2,500 to replace the AC Unit, but only after I told them that the AC unit was not working. Volvo UK were worse than useless in trying to get Senintel to diagnose the car and refused to provide a hire car under Volvo Assist until the dealer diagnosed a fault.
Well I have to say your experience was very different to mine, I got an "air conditioning service required" message along with no air conditioning (obv!) but the car continued to be drivable for a couple of months until I got around to booking it in (pandemic was at its height so there wasn't exactly a panic). Dealer was very helpful, diagnosed the compressor straight away, Volvo accepted it was a known fault and gave a goodwill contribution (can't remember whether it was 50% or 30% now) even though the vehicle was 5 years old and therefore well out of warrantee, total cost to me was just iver £1k which was still a lot of money but not as bad as it could have been. I understand the compressors being fitted now do not have the same issue (I think everyone I know with the V60 hybrid has had the compressor changed now, but no-one has needed a second one).

Last edited by Bungle1976; Nov 24th, 2021 at 09:59.
Bungle1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 10:46   #22
Cloth Ears

Am I right in thinking that the replacement AC compressor has been beefed up so the failure is unlikely to recur? That’s what I infer from a bit of reading around, but I’m a little bit bothered by reports, upthread, of people on their 4th or 5th compressors!
Cloth Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 15:47   #23
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

I'm exactly a month ahead of you with the V60 and did the same research that you are going through.

Mine has done 30k in just under 5 years, but mileage doesn't seem to be a major factor in failures, so I did this:-
- Bought a 2 year warranty from Volvo (as still in scope)
- Booked a Volvo air con service for £99
- Will save up do the mega service at the end of the year (and do ISG belt at same time) so there's no scope for warranty 'interpretation'
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 18:37   #24
Cloth Ears

Assuming you’re replying to me, that’s useful advice, thanks.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 19:09   #25
jadjong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth Ears View Post
Am I right in thinking that the replacement AC compressor has been beefed up so the failure is unlikely to recur? That’s what I infer from a bit of reading around, but I’m a little bit bothered by reports, upthread, of people on their 4th or 5th compressors!
The first pump had mechanical failure which resulted in condensation and short circuit. The replacement pumps are fine, but have to be replaced in a very specific way. If it isn't done right the new refrigirant will lose it's abilty to lube the pump and then it dies again. And againd, and againg...
jadjong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jadjong For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 11:35   #26
Cloth Ears

Thanks, that's useful to know. Presumably, then, main dealer fitting is no guarantee? Any way to check whether the job's been done right?
Old Mar 18th, 2022, 17:21   #27
D6PHEV

Just bumping this.

My compressor is dead at the minute. Was replaced under warranty in March 2020 and died again in September 2021.
Been offered 50% goodwill discount , but with this such a known fault, can't see how anything less than 100% discount would be acceptable.

As an aside, if I were to get it replaced again now, I'd have the newer, better compressor installed?
D6PHEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2022, 21:34   #28
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D6PHEV View Post
Just bumping this.

My compressor is dead at the minute. Was replaced under warranty in March 2020 and died again in September 2021.
Been offered 50% goodwill discount , but with this such a known fault, can't see how anything less than 100% discount would be acceptable.

As an aside, if I were to get it replaced again now, I'd have the newer, better compressor installed?
What's the newer compressor?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 11:06   #29
D6PHEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
What's the newer compressor?
Not sure tbh.

Read somewhere on another thread on here about a redesigned/sturdier compressor was being fitted from 2020.

Can't find the thread now.
D6PHEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 18:23   #30
theandypandy

I have a V60 D6. The aircon went over a year ago and then the alternator started making a noise like a lathe. I've been driving it for ages but it's finally expired - which I think is the mechanical AC-> DC charge side. If I start the car it sits there on battery. If I blip the throttle in Park, the engine starts OK and I can drive it on engine. If I try to set off in hybrid it gets upset and then tells me there's no engine. Then a few seconds later the engine starts and I can drive it.

It's going in in just under 2 weeks to have new alternator and new aircon compressor. A £3k fix.

My question is this - with a full EV battery and running on the engine (no electrical energy generated from engine -> but the DC part of the alt is still working, will it keep the car battery charged up from the EV battery?

The car seems stable without the alternator but I don't want to flatten the car battery, although I have a full EV and it charges fine. I am 40 miles from the Volvo dealer who knows how to fix it. The one in Southampton is useless

- thanks

Last edited by theandypandy; Oct 21st, 2022 at 18:39.
theandypandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v60 d6 awd phev