Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 hybrid phev ISG failure

Views : 11955

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2018, 22:14   #11
Fisnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by biddleje View Post
My V60 PIH is currently in the garage waiting for a new ISG to be fitted, hopefully under warranty (the car is 3 years 2 months old and has done 21,000 miles!!)
There were no nasty noises but we had the same Hybrid System Failure message. What it doesn't tell you is that, even though the diesel works fine, you're draining the 12V battery and have a limited time before the car needs to be recovered - thank you to the authors of the Volvo Owners Manual!
The Dutch Volvo forum has LOTS of comments about Hybrid System failure warnings, mostly due to ISG or AC compressor failure. Thankfully Volvo Cars Nederlands seem to be dealing with most under warranty.
Are they doing that due to the 8 year warranty on the battery system or the because it's only 2 months over the 3 year warranty (at least it's a 3 year warranty here in the UK)?

Also is it always the ISG or the AC compressor or maybe both? Do you mean the Dutch forum above which is translated from google. Tried to read through it and there was a lot of reference to the AC "pump" not much about the ISG. One person was on his fifth pump!!! Is the pump the translation for the compressor?
Fisnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 22:16   #12
Fisnik

Just to add another instance to this thread. I bought a used V60 PIH couple of months ago. MY14 so it's out of warranty. The service records indicates a Hybrid System Failure investigated in March 2017.

The technician feedback on the invoice states:

1. Investigate cause of Hybrid system failure message
- connect VIDA and read fault codes - BECM-C105700
- isolation fault level 1, BECM-U300043 &
OBC-P0D2800 battery charger input voltage too high
logged. Follow fault tracing in VIDA - inspect
high voltage cables and connectors - visually
ok/no damage. Check further as per BECM code - suspect fault in
charging point or electrical surge. Cleared
codes and road tested - as per TJ29814 checked
for BECM upgrade - already has latest software loaded.

Fee £120. (Strange how he got charged 120 for them to clear an error)

Anyone recognises those fault codes?

When I queried with the previous owner when I looked over the paperwork he mentioned something about an AC issue and it needing some coolant or something, can't remember too clearly now. Other than that there's nothing on the paperwork to refer to any other instance or fix, only the notes above. Seems the error was cleared as it was put to the voltage being too high or electrical surge. Seems a bit of a cop out on the part of the technician to be honest.

Have I got anything to worry about? Should I get it looked into further?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fisnik For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 17:11   #13
Fisnik

Bump!

Does anyone have any idea?

Biddleje have you had any update on what's happening with your car?
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 23:48   #14
Horton

Just to add a few points to this thread.
Our customers Phev v60 was an ISG failure, and according to my source Volvo have extended the warranty to 4 years due to an number of failures of the ISG units.... We have another customer who is on her third AC compressor too. This whole situation really worries me, and spoils the whole electric concept for me. It smacks of a manufacturer introducing cars to the marketplace without properly testing them and considering Volvo have said from next year all their cars will be hybrid or electric....??.. not good, not good at all.
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 22:46   #15
Fisnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Just to add a few points to this thread.
Our customers Phev v60 was an ISG failure, and according to my source Volvo have extended the warranty to 4 years due to an number of failures of the ISG units.... We have another customer who is on her third AC compressor too. This whole situation really worries me, and spoils the whole electric concept for me. It smacks of a manufacturer introducing cars to the marketplace without properly testing them and considering Volvo have said from next year all their cars will be hybrid or electric....??.. not good, not good at all.
Ah interesting... Isn't the volvo warranty on the Hybrid system 8 years or does that cover the battery only? Was that particular repair covered by Volvo?
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 05:59   #16
tomi123

Hi

Has anyone change ISG by a local garage mechanic? Becouse i have the same problem the car is also without warenty. But now the car is working just not in the hybrid mode, do you think it needs to be reprogramed?
tomi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 08:11   #17
Akscott

Default Our V60 PHEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Just a quick update on this! Turns that it was indeed the ISG that failed. Although the car was out of warranty it appears the ISG has proved to be an issue on this model, and Volvo were very helpful.
I still can’t quite get my head around the fact that it’s failure completely immobilised the car. Considering it has all the elements of a normal non hybrid, why did it the engine not start? And why was VIDA so useless at diagnosing the issue? One day, I’ll find out....
My wifes V60 D6 Phev aircon has failed and the Hybrid mode now wont work correctly, we have took it to Volvo Dealer in Glasgow and have been quoted £2000 to repair!! I noticed on some of the dutch forums this seem to be a common problem. Did you contact Volvo customer services?
Akscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 18:06   #18
Akscott

Angry Our V60 PHEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by biddleje View Post
I think my car can be added to the list. We had Hybrid System Failure last week (in the snow) but the diesel worked fine so we postponed the trip to the garage until the snow cleared. Last Sunday the car died completely - a fault message about "Electrical System self-checking, please wait 60s then retry starter button" and no further. Car recovered to the garage and they phoned this afternoon to report they had spent 2 hours already and got nowhere!
Reading the comments on the Dutch Volvo forum suggests there is a common issue with faulty air conditioning units causing the hybrid system to shut down, but the ISG has also been recalled/ replaced on several cars. Some members are on their 5th AC compressor!! Can anyone on this forum advise whether UK cars are prone to the same problems?
See https://translate.googleusercontent....zQ#real1523285
In the meantime I'm waiting until Endeavour Watford can solve the problem then they will apply to Volvo for a goodwill claim.
Fingers crossed, but having only had the car for 3 months it is not a good start to my Volvo "experience". My car is only 3 years 2 months old with 21k miles!
How did you get on with Volvo customer services? Our V60 air con has failed and we have been quoted £2000 to repair by volvo, It 5 years old but only done 24000 miles!!
Akscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 09:50   #19
IRL V60 D6

Hi all

Bit of a thread resurrection but I've similar issues as per this thread:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290419
IRL V60 D6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 18:45   #20
London Volvo

Default ELAC Failure V60 D6

The electric AC unit of V60 Hybrids is a well known problem at Volvo. However, take your car to a Volvo main dealer and they will act like they have never come across the problem before. The charge for a repair at the main dealer is GBP2,500 and Volvo will charge a premium for selling what is an AC unit with a significant latent defect.

When the AC unit fails, it causes a short circuit which drains the starter battery of power. Even a charge of the starter battery will not allow the car to start.

The only emergency method of getting the car to start is to use the Volvo App and get the car to pre-heat or cool the car-you can then start the diesel engine and possibly get to where you need to go in "limp mode".

There is no easy diagnostic code for the AC failure-when the starter battery is drained, pretty much every fault code registers and a main dealer will start replacing parts for everything that is showing a fault code. My main dealer (Senintel on Seven Sisters Road) changed the On Call battery at GBP 500 first and then wanted to charge the same again to replace the starter battery. After which they quoted GBP 2,500 to replace the AC Unit, but only after I told them that the AC unit was not working. Volvo UK were worse than useless in trying to get Senintel to diagnose the car and refused to provide a hire car under Volvo Assist until the dealer diagnosed a fault.

Having owned 2 other Volvos (Volvo 245 and an XC70) I will not be buying another Volvo as my only real option for servicing is Sentinel Seven Sisters Road. I also believe Volvo no longer look to support anything other than cars which are being sold new-I have heard of lots of problems with XC90 T8s from a Volvo Assist driver which include applying the electric handbrake if the starter battery fails/ drains which then requires a main dealer software reset, along with the same AC fault as my V60.
London Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to London Volvo For This Useful Post:

Tags
v60 d6 awd phev