Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing Turbo on XC90 2007 185 HELP

Views : 6726

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2017, 09:35   #1
leeleefocus

Default Changing Turbo on XC90 2007 185 HELP

I'm in urgent need of information from someone that has done this change on a XC90 185.

For the life of me I cannot see how to change the turbo without either dropping the engine or taking apart most of the car to get access to the relevant fixings.

I have taken most bits of for access from the bottom and have started to remove parts from the top but I have hit a brick wall now because of some components I want to remove but physically cannot get to the fixings.

I would like to check for play on the turbo and end float before I go any further but cannot even get to the jubilee clip on the inlet to the compressor side of the turbo.

Background is excessive oil consumption, Flaky power delivery for a couple of weeks and now no boost whatsoever, Plugged up VIDA which shows a couple of glow plug faults and an o2 sensor fault.

HELP
leeleefocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 11:48   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

02 sensor would cause a lack of power and glowplugs could put engine light on,

I have a feeling just replacing the turbo is a waste of time and probably won't cure your problem,

Have you checked for boost leaks, ie had the intake system smoke tested,

Is the swirl flaps on front of engine ok
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 16:30   #3
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleefocus View Post
I'm in urgent need of information from someone that has done this change on a XC90 185.

For the life of me I cannot see how to change the turbo without either dropping the engine or taking apart most of the car to get access to the relevant fixings.

I have taken most bits of for access from the bottom and have started to remove parts from the top but I have hit a brick wall now because of some components I want to remove but physically cannot get to the fixings.

I would like to check for play on the turbo and end float before I go any further but cannot even get to the jubilee clip on the inlet to the compressor side of the turbo.

Background is excessive oil consumption, Flaky power delivery for a couple of weeks and now no boost whatsoever, Plugged up VIDA which shows a couple of glow plug faults and an o2 sensor fault.

HELP
try the sensors first they may just be your problem...
the turbo is a B***h to do...

to get at the pipes and jubilee clips you need a really long flexible drive best to get a 1/4'' 7mm socket then lie on ground under car and feed this up from behind cross member whilst looking vertically up at the clip.... you will also need this to remove the oil drain pipe, cut the rubber water pipe just at the turbo and do not bother trying to open banjo bolt...

you need to take the transfer box off which involves taking the Prop shaft off, and the drivers side drive shaft.. if the drive shaft is stuck in the hub then take the whole hub off..... also drain the oil and take the oil cooler off( or at least let it hang free.

I advise taking the DPF off first, then the Prop shaft, you might like to cut some metal off the car to make things easier. there are some pictures on line of where to cut, but it becomes obvious when you try to slide the transfer box to towards the drivers wheel to allow it to drop off the collar it is almost impossible to get back in without this (alteration)

I have had mine off three times and replaced eventually with a span new turbo and today I am taking the car for its last spin, it has used 5 liters of oil in less than 600 miles.

Current thought is that it is the pcv or rings is causing the loss of oil, in any case I am giving up for now....
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osullivant For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 16:54   #4
leeleefocus

Swirl flaps are not in operation but have been like this for the last 15000 miles without issue. I have purchased all parts to repair this but they don't arrive until Tuesday.

The glow plug faults have also been there for atleast the last 15000 miles.

The o2 faults are new though.

PCV system is not blocked

I will try with live data and see if it throws anything up. I have put the car back together for now because I myself am not 100% convinced its turbo but thought I would change it if it wasn't to big of a job as I have a spare good turbo that cost me nothing. It is clear though that it Is a big Job.

Thank you for the input
Old Apr 30th, 2017, 22:26   #5
Rooster
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by osullivant View Post
I advise taking the DPF off first, then the Prop shaft, you might like to cut some metal off the car to make things easier. there are some pictures on line of where to cut, but it becomes obvious when you try to slide the transfer box to towards the drivers wheel to allow it to drop off the collar it is almost impossible to get back in without this (alteration).
You don't have to cut anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The turbo will come out without cutting any water pipes or metal off the car
Old May 1st, 2017, 00:51   #6
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
You don't have to cut anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The turbo will come out without cutting any water pipes or metal off the car
Are you speaking from experience of doing this on a 185....

Cutting the little rubber water pipe that costs about 6 euros and which is extremely difficult to get out is worth it,

getting the turbo out is not the issue, it is getting the transfer box out that was almost impossible, and was impossible to get back in without the little notch.

also be sure to disconnect the bracket that holds the metal pipes from the DPF pressure sensor or you will have more money to spend...
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 07:23   #7
leeleefocus

Update

Fitted new glow plugs which has cleared that fault.

Did a regen on the particulate filter because of a high pressure reading. Now this was interesting because during the regen I had yellow fluid dripping from the exhaust. This is the first forced regeneration that I have done or seen. Is the yellow fluid from the exhaust normal. I can only assume it is two things and that would be engine oil or a by product of all the fuel being shoved through the motor during the regen. The yellow fluid didn't have any obvious smell. The regen wouldn't complete (tried several times) although I got the pressure readings down to an acceptable level

I will be fitting the swirl flap assembly hopefully over the next week or so. No fault codes from this even though it is not working.

All I have now is an one o2 fault but the car is driving again and appears normal.

I have had no dash messages other than soot filter full which is normal for us because of the type of driving that the vehicle does but this gets cleared again through normal driving. The message is becoming more regular probably because of all the oil being burnt.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 19:07   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleefocus View Post
I have had no dash messages other than soot filter full which is normal....
I would argue that it is completely abnormal!
Normal driving will see the car regenerating the particle filter by itself, all it takes is a 30min drive on a motoryway once every 2 tanks of gas.

If you don't do that, then you should plan a 30min outing with the family once a month and use the XC90 for the journey.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 22:54   #9
Rooster
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by osullivant View Post
Are you speaking from experience of doing this on a 185....

Cutting the little rubber water pipe that costs about 6 euros and which is extremely difficult to get out is worth it,

getting the turbo out is not the issue, it is getting the transfer box out that was almost impossible, and was impossible to get back in without the little notch.

also be sure to disconnect the bracket that holds the metal pipes from the DPF pressure sensor or you will have more money to spend...
Yeah done a few in past,

The 7 bolt angle gears are quiet tight altho last turbo me and another lad did we didn't take angle gear off and just did it all from top
Old May 3rd, 2017, 08:29   #10
leeleefocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I would argue that it is completely abnormal!
Normal driving will see the car regenerating the particle filter by itself, all it takes is a 30min drive on a motoryway once every 2 tanks of gas.

If you don't do that, then you should plan a 30min outing with the family once a month and use the XC90 for the journey.
Not convenient for me. I understand what your saying and appreciate the input but it really is not possible at the moment for me to do this.

Like I said with the type of driving my wife does this message is normal (school run) and gets cleared when she goes and does the shopping although even then I don't think it is completing a full regeneration but it has been working like this for the last 18 months without issue.

Oil consumption is a problem though which had only raised its ugly head over the last 2 months and is I believe causing the clogging of the DPF.

I need to get the o2 fault sorted and I will fit the new swirl flap assembly along with a full clean of the egr and throttle body(still feels weird saying that a diesel)

After this work if I still have high oil consumption then it will be a turbo change.