Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0W30 or 5W30

Views : 54774

Replies : 194

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2016, 18:02   #21
younger06
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmitch View Post
So going back to my original point at the start of this thread!

I don't do 18k miles between oil changes I do around 8/9 K
also I live in Cumbria which whilst wet isn't the coldest place to
live.

Is the oil I asked about 5w30 Magnatec that has the all important
according to lots of people A5/B5 spec i.e. what Volvo specify okay
to use?

Best Colin.
That's what my local volvo parts dept have been giving me to use in my 2009 D5
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 18:29   #22
volvo145
Premier Member

Why does it need to be Castrol as some have stated when some Volvo main dealers don't use it?
They do use the correct spec be it Shell /Mobile etc.
If you think about it some dealers are multi franchise and they would need a few different manufacturers to cater for the different models that they sell.
I personally use Comma oil in my vehicles which some people might frown on but never had any issues.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 18:52   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Replaced any valvelifters post 2005 d5?
no not at all, and no recollection of it being a known problem with volvos of that age . but then most of the ones i see are serviced using volvos recommended 0w/30 .
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 20:45   #24
5cilinder
Premier Member

Probably to expensive to let the volvo dealer take care of replacing them there would be more than the cars value
Here and on other forums the post 2005 d5 are masivly complaining and replacing noisy valvelifters
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 21:11   #25
osullivant

I use 5w30 a5b5 mobile from halfords at about 35e for 5 litres. seems the best alround value to be had here... filter from maindealer for about 13 e.
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 11:11   #26
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
So with all that said.............what should I be using in my high mileage (350,000kms) 2009 D5 ????
There is no need to use an HM oil unless the engine leaks oil and the repair is not an economic one, or the oil consumption starts to increase (Check the CCV is working first).

Most high mileage oils are no good for diesels with a DPF, so you might want to consider just moving up one grade and using half a can of Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver to swell the seals back into action.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 11:16   #27
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Low ash synthetic 5w40
It's also worth checking the 0w40 oils if you need a low ash one AND use the oil finder guide of the web site to check which oil is supposed to be the correct one.

Old Jun 20th, 2016, 11:19   #28
cwmitch

The more I look into this the more it makes no sense " You've got to use Castrol Edge 0w30 that's what Volvo recommend" It didn't exist in 2009.. And looking at a well known parts supplier of genuine volvo parts. There quote Edge 0w30 being for post 2010 volvo's and Magnatec 5w30 also being suitable?

Colin.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 11:31   #29
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
volvo have never recommended 5w/40

on the pre 2005 models with 12000 mile service intervals it was 5w/30 and on volvos oil chart is does say do not use 5w/40 for what ever reason .

the 0w/30 came along with the change to 18000 service intervals ...long life oil .
Castrol is the OEM oil for Volvo at present and they do change their recommended or approved oil when they develop new oils OR R&D indicates the previous oil was not the best one. They have even reduced the oil change interval in a few cases.

For example OEM for my diesel was Magnetec 10w40, then about 5 years ago it was changed to Edge 5w40 and finally about a year ago they changed it to the new Edge 0w40 (All of the oils were Acea A3/B4).

The OEM OCI was 20K km, but was cut to 15K km BUT only in the UK, as that was done to allow the UK Volvo dealers to use Magnetec 10w40 which is much cheaper than Edge 0w40, but does not last quite as long.

If you have a newer Volvo that is supposed to use Edge 0w30, do not use anything but that oil if you want to stick to the OEM viscosity groups, cos SAE figures are groups and that oil is right at the top of the 30 range, so it's a thick 30. If you want to go thick, move up to a full synthetic 0w40.

Old Jun 20th, 2016, 11:44   #30
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
Why does it need to be Castrol as some have stated when some Volvo main dealers don't use it?
They do use the correct spec be it Shell /Mobile etc.
If you think about it some dealers are multi franchise and they would need a few different manufacturers to cater for the different models that they sell.
I personally use Comma oil in my vehicles which some people might frown on but never had any issues.
I'm surprised to hear UK Volvo dealers are using oils that are not approved of by Volvo.
Top of the range engine oil companies like Mobil, Shell and Liqui Moly all make oils that are recommended for various Volvo cars, BUT USE THEIR OIL FINDER GUIDE PAGES to check which one is the best.
Mobil 1 oils are good and contain a lot of detergent additives, so they clean well BUT cause slightly more wear.
Shell Ultra is the best oil for the money as it has a GTL (Gas To Liquids) base in addition to good additives.
Liqui Moly Synthoils are the best in technical terms, BUT rather expensive and you won't know the difference between UOA results with Ultra.

There is no way I would use a non major brand oil like Comma regardless of how good their web site is or what is written on the cans. Acea specs are done by self certification, so no one checks the actual performance!