Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 594000

Replies : 2690

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2021, 12:42   #2501
Bican

Default EGR Dismantle

Was anyone able to take the EGR apart removing the electric motor? Is it possible to put it together without calibration or so?
I'm looking into an option of an ultrasonic cleaning as the chemical did not do the job for me. It is done in a water bath.
Just note there is no remanufactured EGR in stock from DRI 717730296 or ELSTOCK 73-0296 per car parts dealer.
Thank you.

Last edited by Bican; Nov 5th, 2021 at 13:16.
Bican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 11:21   #2502
belgian
Linje swart

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post

I want to be clear - my issue is not with my dealer, they have been excellent. I doubt that they are being reimbursed for all of the checks they have done on my car because of my moaning. This is bigger than the dealers - it originates from the culture, leadership and values from Volvo in Sweden.

Life's too short to let this sort of thing ruin it (or sour the 'virtual' relationships of us folk on this forum). I've made a note of how Volvo have handled this and they won't be picking up any more money from me in the future. In the meantime, I will write and tell people about my experience because that is the only way the 'little man' can get even - the power of the internet (as the Chinese and North Korean authorities are discovering!).

Arianne
Since the swedish have little say on this, the group being under Chinese ownership, I don't expect Volvo to invest any longer in a long term relationship with their customers. If you know the chinese business mentality, you'll understand they prefer to take the money and run.

I have owned several volvo's to great satisfaction, but my latest Volvo 2016 V70 D3 150 hp will be the last volvo I will own. That D3 engine has the same EGR problems as evidenced in this thread.
EGR Fault code PD04D9 at 90k km. Since my volvo dealer refused to replace the EGR and cooler under warranty, because I serviced my car myself, I cleaned the EGR and Valve, and solved the problem temporarely.

Now at 143k km, fault code P00BC00 (MAF low air flow) with "reduced motor power" warning and the appearance of the notorious turtle of doom, I suppose the EGR has to be replaced again, so I ordered the parts already (1000 €).

What is really astonishing to me is that Volvo, in spite of several years of brutal warranty issues, they continued to install the same type of engines in their new cars, without resolving the EGR issue. That is p...g on the back of their loyal customers, if you ask me. The chinese won't make any euro of me again, whenever I have a choice of course.

Last edited by belgian; Nov 28th, 2021 at 11:31.
belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belgian For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 16:17   #2503
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgian View Post
Since the swedish have little say on this, the group being under Chinese ownership, I don't expect Volvo to invest any longer in a long term relationship with their customers. If you know the chinese business mentality, you'll understand they prefer to take the money and run.

I have owned several volvo's to great satisfaction, but my latest Volvo 2016 V70 D3 150 hp will be the last volvo I will own. That D3 engine has the same EGR problems as evidenced in this thread.
EGR Fault code PD04D9 at 90k km. Since my volvo dealer refused to replace the EGR and cooler under warranty, because I serviced my car myself, I cleaned the EGR and Valve, and solved the problem temporarely.

Now at 143k km, fault code P00BC00 (MAF low air flow) with "reduced motor power" warning and the appearance of the notorious turtle of doom, I suppose the EGR has to be replaced again, so I ordered the parts already (1000 €).

What is really astonishing to me is that Volvo, in spite of several years of brutal warranty issues, they continued to install the same type of engines in their new cars, without resolving the EGR issue. That is p...g on the back of their loyal customers, if you ask me. The chinese won't make any euro of me again, whenever I have a choice of course.
That is the opposite problem (sticking open rather than sticking shut) so maybe unrelated? Either way, why not DIY clean it again?

The VEA engine is a lovely engine initially ruined by reliance on high EGR to meet the Euro 6 levels for NOx, causing all manner of soot-related problems. Later versions (MY17 on) got AdBlue as a NOx reduction agent which must have significantly helped, as I don't remember seeing any reports of EGR/intake/swirls/valve problems on those later cars.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 18:01   #2504
belgian
Linje swart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
That is the opposite problem (sticking open rather than sticking shut) so maybe unrelated? Either way, why not DIY clean it again?

The VEA engine is a lovely engine initially ruined by reliance on high EGR to meet the Euro 6 levels for NOx, causing all manner of soot-related problems. Later versions (MY17 on) got AdBlue as a NOx reduction agent which must have significantly helped, as I don't remember seeing any reports of EGR/intake/swirls/valve problems on those later cars.
Good comment. I am also suspicious that maybe the EGR valve or cooler may not be the cause of this particular problem, as the car runs fine with no power loss or irregular run at all for the moment. That's why I paid a visit to the volvo dealer where I bought the car to have it diagnosed more precisely.

Their first reaction was of course to replace the EGR Valve and cooler at 1600 €, because the ones installed are still the original parts. The replacement parts are improved apparently, so they want this to be replaced first. If that does not the trick, they would look further. So I am afraid that no dealer will touch the car before the new EGR system is installed, so I bought the parts for repair by myself. Will reset the fault codes after that and go from there.

More reason to believe that the EGR valve is not sticking, is that you can move the actuater by hand without any hickup, when the cover is removed.
I checked MAF air flow sensor with my OBD2 unit, and seems to be working fine. Don't know what to check next.

Last edited by belgian; Nov 28th, 2021 at 18:06.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 18:09   #2505
Bican

I have the same issue. Tried to clean the EGR and the cooler and still there. Mine is sticking when closing. It probably needs bushings replaced.
Lovely thing is the EGR part is not available as and aftermarket and you have to pay the dealer premium. When I was on diagnostics at a dealer and asked:"Am I going to get a brand new EGR or remanufactured when I buy it here?" The answer was:" We do not know. We sent the old ones back though."
That is for me the most annoying part. Most likely even if you pay premium at a dealer you get remanufactured part which price is less than a half at aftermarket but it is not in stock even at manufacturer (refurbisher). Probably Volvo is buying all of them.
Luckily there a people in Poland that refurbish them, they clean them (mechanically, chemically and by ultrasound), replace bushings etc. Seal them and do a leak test. The cost is up to 300 Euro. I plan to order it next week.

Quote:

Old Nov 28th, 2021, 18:23   #2506
Bican

Quote:
More reason to believe that the EGR valve is not sticking, is that you can move the actuater by hand without any hickup, when the cover is removed.
I checked MAF air flow sensor with my OBD2 unit, and seems to be working fine. Don't know what to check next.
Please come back and report if the EGR fixed the problem. My P00BC00 shows up when the engine is cold and under very low load for example when braking by engine. Mine has also slightly lumpy idle when cold. Please see the clip below. My EGR is closing with a click. I believe it should close smoothly as verified with people that had the EGR replaced.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 18:36   #2507
belgian
Linje swart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bican View Post
Please come back and report if the EGR fixed the problem. My P00BC00 shows up when the engine is cold and under very low load for example when braking by engine. Mine has also slightly lumpy idle when cold. Please see the clip below. My EGR is closing with a click. I believe it should close smoothly as verified with people that had the EGR replaced.
I ordered the parts with an on line shop in germany (all original Volvo parts) and expect them next week to arrive. Contrary to your problem, I can't notice any irregular running of the engine. Will report soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to belgian For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 09:11   #2508
Bican

My friend, who owns a local part store, managed somehow find a remanufactured EGR for me.
It is fitted on the car now. Lumpy idle is gone.
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 21:02   #2509
AlienInThisWorld

V70, 2015 build, D4 engine, Engine warning indication in July 2021, at 5.5 years old, 114,000 miles accompanied by a 'thrumming' engine tone (on the M5 whilst driving from Barnsley to Falmouth, with heavy rain howling down horizontally). The car was taken into Truro Motor Co who diagnosed a blocked EGR cooler and replaced it. Happy days.

Being a little student of cause and effect I asked the service reception staff what was the root cause of the problem, because I was concerned that my proclivity for driving in Eco+ mode might have something to do with it. They suggested to me that it might be better to let the engine rev more freely by using the 'Normal' or 'S' setting. I've been doing this ever since.

Then it started to unravel. Engine warning indication in December 2021, at 6 years old, 122,000 miles accompanied by the same 'thrumming' engine tone (on the A628 whilst driving from Barnsley to Manchester, with heavy sleet howling down horizontally). The car is booked into the Sheffield dealership for diagnosis and repair. I daren't drive it at the moment which is not what I bought a Volvo for.

Additional information: This car has a history of increasing oil consumption from about 50,000 miles to date, and it is now demanding a 0.5 litre top-up every 500 miles or so. I've been questioning this with The Sheffield dealership who have done all its servicing but have just been met with 'one of those things' non-explanations.

There is no oil leak visible, so I'm led to think it is being burnt, evidence the EGR cooler blocked with soot.
So where is it getting into the combustion process?
Possibilities I've identified are turbocharger bearings inlet side, inlet valve guides, piston rings, outlet valve guides, turbocharger bearing outlet side.

Any suggestions as to the root cause and how to cure the problem, not just treating the symptom would be gratefully received, because with oil the price it is I'd expect a fluid of that price per litre to be served in cut crystal glasses.
AlienInThisWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2021, 22:43   #2510

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienInThisWorld View Post
V70, 2015 build, D4 engine, Engine warning indication in July 2021, at 5.5 years old, 114,000 miles accompanied by a 'thrumming' engine tone (on the M5 whilst driving from Barnsley to Falmouth, with heavy rain howling down horizontally). The car was taken into Truro Motor Co who diagnosed a blocked EGR cooler and replaced it. Happy days..
They should re pipe it when fitting a new EGR radiator to make it into a heater instead of a cooler. It’s the moisture which makes its clog, so likely worse with rain too. My D4 has done 80,000 miles and has only ever had one 0.5L top up between services. How’s the coolant water ? No oil in it?
007 is offline   Reply With Quote