Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 Reversing Lights....Aaagghh!!

Views : 4110

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2021, 21:25   #21
Tony H

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbarrier View Post
Does anyone know of a way to improve the reversing lights on a V90?

The light they emit is the equivalent of waving a photo of a candle out of the window. They are useless and seem to serve no purpose. I presume they are LED so bulb upgrades are not an option or possibly they are.
I did do a quick search of this section of the forum and couldn't find any other discussions on this subject.

Many thanks.
Legally reverse lights are just indicators to let other road user know you are reversing, they aren't for lighting the way for you.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 10:10   #22
crashbarrier

Sorry, but I have to disagree with that, TonyH.
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 quite clearly state that the 'reversing lamps' are:-

A lamp used to illuminate the road to the rear of a vehicle for the purpose of reversing and to warn other road users that the vehicle is reversing or about to reverse.

So the bulbs, or lamps, have two purposes but I think most owners of V90s would agree that the lamps as fitted don't do a very good job of the illumination bit. Strangely enough, my current BMW and VW(and all the other cars we have possessed) had no problems with being bright enough to be of use without having to resort to 60s/70s style bolt-on bumper lamps.

Last edited by crashbarrier; Nov 29th, 2021 at 12:51.
crashbarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 11:16   #23
Fastpatsilents

Quote:
Doh! It shouldn't do as I spotted that I had added a link for amber bulbs but due to the idiosyncrasies of this forum I can't now change it. This is the only forum I know that doesn't allow you to edit a post at a later date.
This is the link that I wanted to change it to but there are other sellers selling their own versions. Personally, I am of the opinion that they all hail from the Far East.

H21W LED
Did you ever get to try these? Any interference with the canbus?
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 11:32   #24
Fibrous

Quote:
Does anyone know of a way to improve the reversing lights on a V90?

The light they emit is the equivalent of waving a photo of a candle out of the window. They are useless and seem to serve no purpose. I presume they are LED so bulb upgrades are not an option or possibly they are.
I did do a quick search of this section of the forum and couldn't find any other discussions on this subject.

Many thanks.
Has anyone tried these? https://www.planeteleds.fr/en/led-fo...2016-2019.html
Fibrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 21:12   #25
OldEngineer

Not very promising when the add says specifically V90 but the picture is of a car from a different manufacturer.
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 10:41   #26
vampwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibrous View Post
I have one bulb, thought I had bought two, but I have never gotten around to fitting it. Once I saw that the reversing light doesn't have a reflector, or rather it doesn't appear to I was going down a different route and fitting led work lights under the rear of the car.
vampwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:02   #27
ThomasC91

Yes, they're very poor.

It helps if you change 360 camera to reverse camera as brake lights etc light it up a bit better.

I find the footwell lights quite dim too, might see about putting a brighter light in those. When I had my V40 the footwell lights were a lot brighter.
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:03   #28
crashbarrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpatsilents View Post
Did you ever get to try these? Any interference with the canbus?
I didn't and, being honest until I heard back from St Evelyn or another member I was put off by the potential canbus warning which would just add one more thing to cancel before getting going in the car.
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:37   #29
Fibrous

While looking for other led bulbs I looked out for the H21W which I believe is the bulb type for the reverse lights on the V90 2019 (please correct me if I am wrong) I don't know if anyone has tried these but they might be worth a try.

https://www.carmodshop.co.uk/product...re-part-xenon/

https://www.carmodshop.co.uk/product...e-reverse-fog/
Fibrous is offline   Reply With Quote