Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best dash cam position?

Views : 3405

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2021, 21:31   #11
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

Another one for nextbase 522. No problems when fitted to left side of windscreen.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 13:33   #12
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Last week i place my camera around 20 cm from left side of intelisafe box. no problem so far
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 22:07   #13
geordiev60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebarchetta View Post
I went for an INNOVV one - mounted on the grill...
Hi - is this one of their “motorbike” cameras? How did you go about mounting the camera and where did you place the recorder and remote control and how did you wire up the power supply?

Thanks in advance for any tips on installing!
geordiev60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 17:34   #14
RonFleet

I've just (this afternoon) installed a NextBase 322GW in my XC40. I used the suction mount which I positioned at the top of the screen next to the Intellisafe housing. I have only started the car and moved it on my driveway, but there were no warnings from the car's systems about it. Longer drive tomorrow, so I'll see if it causes any issues.

I'd been thinking about getting a dashcam ever since I bought the car, but the warnings from Volvo put me off doing so. Yesterday, a jogger wearing headphones ran across the road in front of me without looking. I just stopped in time. That decided me, so I looked on the internet and found that my local Argos had what I wanted for the best price I could find, so I bought one and installed it today.
XC40 T3 R-Design Automatic
RonFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 19:33   #15
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFleet View Post
I've just (this afternoon) installed a NextBase 322GW in my XC40. I used the suction mount which I positioned at the top of the screen next to the Intellisafe housing. I have only started the car and moved it on my driveway, but there were no warnings from the car's systems about it. Longer drive tomorrow, so I'll see if it causes any issues.

I'd been thinking about getting a dashcam ever since I bought the car, but the warnings from Volvo put me off doing so. Yesterday, a jogger wearing headphones ran across the road in front of me without looking. I just stopped in time. That decided me, so I looked on the internet and found that my local Argos had what I wanted for the best price I could find, so I bought one and installed it today.
I've had one positioned in the same place, to the left of the mirror, since I have had my V60. I haven't had any problems at all, nor has the dealer made any comment when its been in for service. There's an earlier thread regarding getting power to it, but that may not be relevant for an XC40.
Dashcam Wiring in New V60

Last edited by Wizzpop; Nov 27th, 2021 at 19:37.
Wizzpop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 09:27   #16
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
I've had one positioned in the same place, to the left of the mirror, since I have had my V60. I haven't had any problems at all, nor has the dealer made any comment when its been in for service. There's an earlier thread regarding getting power to it, but that may not be relevant for an XC40.
Dashcam Wiring in New V60
I've had a Transcend camera mounted in the same position on my V40 for 4 years, no issues at all. The wiring is routed behind the roof lining, down the A-pillar and into the void behind the dashboard above the glovebox, where the dashcam cable plug is connected to another cable terminating in a power socket and wired into the 12v power socket in the centre console.

There is no problem with routing a cable down the A-pillar as long as you follow the same route as any existing wiring and avoid it crossing or laying over the top of the airbag.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 15:23   #17
Nippy
VOC Member

I have my Transcend on my V90 routed the same way as RS3100.

SWMBO : 2016 V40 T3 R Design
Nippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 10:43   #18
volvocamper
Master Member

Nextbase fitted by me 3.5 years ago by me exactly as per RS3100 with no issues to date either.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 11:12   #19
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

While I think the problems are rare, Volvo are right to warn you about possible interference .
My Nextbase camera interferes with my DAB adaptor (also a Nextbase product) so its quite conceivable that it could interfere with other items as well. We'd only complain if they didn't warn us and then a camera did cause problems.